Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 18:20   #46
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain

I called up FASS Manager to ask about an intermittent TRDP error in Linea 1.4 petrol and on asking told him that the car has run 48k km. He dismissed the TRDP error saying that is minor and can be checked with their analyser but told me to get the timing chain replaced - he says it must be replaced at 60k or 5 years whichever is earlier. He told me it will cost approx Rs 5k. I see Rs 10k and other figures mentioned at various places which vary quite a lot - so how much does it really cost for a petrol Linea?

Also, since the car has not run much and is used sparingly, can the condition of the timing chain be checked before deciding to do a replacement - through any tell tale signs etc.?

I believe it is much cheaper if done outside FASS. Does anyone know anyone outside FASS who does it? I read somewhere on the forum about Batra in Lajpat Nagar who is very experienced in replacing timing chains.
Old 24th August 2016, 20:24   #47
h14
BHPian

The reason why the cost differs is since yours is a petrol and the petrol engine equips a timing belt and not a chain. To put it simple, belts are cheaper than chain.

5 yrs is decent time to change the belt, I would suggest you to change it for peace of mind too as unlike the chain the belt wouldn't make any noise or give symptoms and in case if it gets bad and snaps, you will end up with a bigger bill due to the damage.
Old 26th August 2016, 12:04   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
told me to get the timing chain replaced - he says it must be replaced at 60k or 5 years whichever is earlier. He told me it will cost approx Rs 5k. I see Rs 10k and other figures mentioned at various places which vary quite a lot - so how much does it really cost for a petrol Linea?

Also, since the car has not run much and is used sparingly, can the condition of the timing chain be checked before deciding to do a replacement - through any tell tale signs etc.?
When the recommendation from Fiat is very clear(replacement at 60k or 5 years whichever is earlier), why take a chance for a critical component like timing chain?! Haven't you completed 5 years yet?
Old 12th September 2016, 15:39   #49
BHPian

Agree. Need to change the timing belt immediately.

Does the water pump also need to be changed? I read somewhere that it should be replaced when the timing belt is. Besides, it may be better to change both together, saving some labour charges.
Old 16th September 2016, 13:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
Agree. Need to change the timing belt immediately.

Does the water pump also need to be changed? I read somewhere that it should be replaced when the timing belt is. Besides, it may be better to change both together, saving some labour charges.
You can refer to my below post for the list of items replaced along with timing chain,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3821407
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed