Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:10   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain

Hi friends,

My linea just crossed 50000Kms. On a routine call with the service advisor, he mentioned that the timing kit needs to be replaced at 60000Kms.

My doubts are the following:
1) From what i remember, 1.3 MJDs have a timing chain, which only requires tightening. Does it need to be replaced ( i am not sure of this info)
2) When should the clutch assembly be changed? (My current clutch seems to have more life left.)
3) Also if the clutch needs to be changed, should the master and slave cylinder be changed along with it as well?

Pls advice
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by octy9833 View Post
Hi friends,

My linea just crossed 50000Kms. On a routine call with the service advisor, he mentioned that the timing kit needs to be replaced at 60000Kms.
Timing chain doesn't need replacement. I am running my swift Diesel for 1Lkms without any worries. Ask the SA to provide this in writing witha quote and see how he retracts this statement.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:45   #3
BHPian

The Linea's initially had issues with the timing chain (elongation/excess stretch) , Fiat had notified the dealers to call back certain cars and get it replaced with an updated version of the chain and in some case its "self adjuster" pads. But that was couple of years ago. Now they have come up with a new service schedule which says, timing chain replacement at 60K.This apparently mentioned in the new service manual.
varunlaxman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:36   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the reply friends..

But off late i am getting the feeling that the labor costs are increasing drastically in FIAT.

I have been quoted different rates at different places
1) KHT - on call with the service advisor, some ambiguous figure of 12000/- was told
2) Concorde told me 6500 (Dunno if it includes labour)
3) Aadya motors quoted 7000 (Dunno if it includes labour)
4) Bosch car service quoted 6500 - no clue about labour

Anybody knows any other good garage where such works can be carried out?/ or is it recommended that it should be done only in authorized service station

Regards
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:44   #5
BHPian

I am uploading an image i found.

Copyright Notice: The image & rights of the image remains with Team Fiat (Hosted on Team Fiat)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain-service-bulletin.jpg  

octy9833 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunlaxman View Post
The Linea's initially had issues with the timing chain (elongation/excess stretch) , Fiat had notified the dealers to call back certain cars and get it replaced with an updated version of the chain and in some case its "self adjuster" pads. But that was couple of years ago. Now they have come up with a new service schedule which says, timing chain replacement at 60K.This apparently mentioned in the new service manual.
I fail to understand why Fiat wants to replace a timing chain while Maruti /Tata having the same FIAT engine would not. That too at a very short mileage of 60 K Kms. fiat engine in a fiat car seems to have more problems then the same Fiat engine in Maruti or Tata. What an irony.
DieselFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel 60k is too early for a timing kit, be it a belt or a chain. My friend's swift diesel has not needed a timing chain overhaul even at 1.1L kms. Not sure if Fiat uses a different chain compared to maruti. From what I can assume, they are the same.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat has indeed sent a service advisory to all its service stations to replace the Timing chain at 60,000 kms for 90HP MJD engines alone. They will replace the chain with the new 2012 spec timing chain. Probably, Fiat might have seen issues with the previous timing chain for the VGT engines.

As a Linea MJD owner, I am also dissappointed with this news. If they have found this to be faulty, they should have recalled the older cars for the free replacement.

Note:- We may have to wait and see if similar advisory would be sent for Manza/Sx4 as well.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 22nd August 2012 at 15:30.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I fail to understand why Fiat wants to replace a timing chain while Maruti /Tata having the same FIAT engine would not. That too at a very short mileage of 60 K Kms. fiat engine in a fiat car seems to have more problems then the same Fiat engine in Maruti or Tata. What an irony.
I was speaking to an official from Fiat the other day and he say's, Fiats subsidiary called Fiat Power-trains or FPT does not supply fully assembled engines to Maruti, FPT has given them the blue prints for the engine and a contract worth couple of crores.The contract is for a certain period which is a long couple of years . The official also quoted that at times some components such as the main block and Heads were supplied by FPT. He also mentioned that engines made at maruti has had failures with components like camshafts,EGR valves,etc,etc.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain

I have already replaced my Timing Chain under Warranty and that drive had been done before a year so.
I have highlighted this in my Thread too.
But after replacing the Timing Chain, the Engine Noise is little bit increased from inside & outside.
I changed it in VST Motors, Chennai.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I have already replaced my Timing Chain under Warranty and that drive had been done before a year so.
I have highlighted this in my Thread too.
But after replacing the Timing Chain, the Engine Noise is little bit increased from inside & outside.
I changed it in VST Motors, Chennai.
But, karthik. Look at the date of this service bulletin. It's dated 23rd June 2012. It is issued recently and they have adviced to replace the chain at 60k kms. The people who have replaced this at 60k (this is charged by TASS) have reported that the noise has come down drastically.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 22nd August 2012 at 16:20.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
But, karthik. Look at the date of this service bulletin. It's dated 23rd June 2012. It is issued recently and they have adviced to replace the chain at 60k kms. The people who have replaced this at 60k (this is charged by TASS) have reported that the noise has come down drastically.
Seems, For this issue only I had Timing Chain Replacement earlier.
Any how i'll check with someone from VST and will post here.

Is timing Chain replacement Mandatory @ 60KMS service ? I think, NO.

Again why it's charged by TASS. We have extended Warranty for 4 years, Why shoudn't they do it under warranty.
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is timing Chain replacement Mandatory @ 60KMS service ? I think, NO.
It is mandatory. You will tend to lose the warranty if this is not replaced at 60k.

Quote:
Again why it's charged by TASS. We have extended Warranty for 4 years, Why shoudn't they do it under warranty.
This is what is my apprehension is, as well. But, they are charging for this.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Timing chain replacement is now a part of 60K kms service,a normal 60K service without timing chain replacement costs 10K for a Linea,this should push the cost to 22K approx.
I got timing chain replaced free of cost(had to pay for sealents and pads),in April this year under recall.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587
Timing chain replacement is now a part of 60K kms service,a normal 60K service without timing chain replacement costs 10K for a Linea,this should push the cost to 22K approx.
I got timing chain replaced free of cost(had to pay for sealents and pads),in April this year under recall.
For me entire things were free as I didn't accept to pay as it's a recall.
Whether we too need to change Timing Chain @ 60k kms service.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks