Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 23:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6 months with a VW Polo - 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced and now, a massive fuel

So the car is back with me. Took a long TD before the delivery and noticed the engine felt a lot smoother at lower rpms (any update ?)

We gave a letter mentioning the breakdowns,replacements and fuel leak. Got it signed and sealed by the Senior Service Manager, he said he'll reply to it by mail so will have to follow up on that. They were hesitant to give anything in writing but finally convinced them.

Hope i don't have any problems in future. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes its true.Diesel has higher flash point than petrol. So they wont catch fire so easily. But at a sufficiently high temperature it can catch fire and once it catches fire it can sustain the combustion thus proving dangerous.

Spark cant ignite diesel . High pressure and heat can!

Auto ignition temperature of diesel is around 210 degree Celsius. So if the surface of engine is that hot then it will definitely catch fire.
A simple google search and I learn't diesel cannot ignite by a spark. Said goodbye to science 7 years ago, so had no idea about this

My theory was-The car was driven for 100kms with speeds varying between 80 to 100 km/hr so the engine must have been really hot, so high chance that there could've been a fire. May be the engine wasn't hot enough.

Lucky that there was no fire, if it had started would've been very tough to control and could have spread rather quickly!
Old 9th September 2012, 17:13   #17
BHPian

@shashank.nk: Sorry to hear of your troubles with your Polo. I just happened to stumble upon this thread and was disappointed to read about the issues you have had.

I have been diligently following the practice of not engaging the hand brake in both my cars when not used for a long time. I had faced jerking issues in my petrol Swift when handbrake was engaged for prolonged periods in the monsoon. It's best not to use the handbrake unless you are parking on an incline. Having said that, brake jamming is unacceptable. VW needs to come out with a solution to this. Cannot expect non TBHP members to know about this handbrake "trick".

Diesel leak is scary and I cannot understand how reckless the A-S-S guys could be if a loose bolt was the culprit.

Hope you have trouble free future ownership with your Polo.
Old 12th September 2012, 00:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6 months with a VW Polo - 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced and now, a massive fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
@shashank.nk: Sorry to hear of your troubles with your Polo. I just happened to stumble upon this thread and was disappointed to read about the issues you have had.

I have been diligently following the practice of not engaging the hand brake in both my cars when not used for a long time. I had faced jerking issues in my petrol Swift when handbrake was engaged for prolonged periods in the monsoon. It's best not to use the handbrake unless you are parking on an incline. Having said that, brake jamming is unacceptable. VW needs to come out with a solution to this. Cannot expect non TBHP members to know about this handbrake "trick".

Diesel leak is scary and I cannot understand how reckless the A-S-S guys could be if a loose bolt was the culprit.

Hope you have trouble free future ownership with your Polo.
You know what, there's another member here who suffered the EXACT same problem in his Fabia 1.2TDI.Based on both our experiences its more or less safe to say that VW A.S.S guys are to be blamed for the diesel leak and not that I've got a defective car.Here's the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...37000-kms.html

Just like in my case, they have no reason to give other than it could've been left lose in the previous service.
Looks like this issue is specific to this engine. I'm so paranoid now, every week I remove the engine cover and inspect for leakage

VW should come clean on the brake-jam, I've stopped using the handbrake, like you mentioned I use it only on inclines.

Despite so many issues, I've decided to keep the car. I hope it lives up to my expectations!
Old 12th September 2012, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
there's another member here who suffered the EXACT same problem in his Fabia 1.2TDI.
I feel this may be due to the engine vibrations inherent with the 3 pot 1.2TDI versions.

I had taken a test drive of Fabia before we brought new Swift. During idle the engine vibrations inside the engine bay were not to my liking, though they weren't passed inside the cabin, i didn't feel like going ahead with it. These vibrations may be contributing to the injectors getting lose. Its just my assumption, i may be incorrect ,Just get the injectors checked and tightened after a few thousand kms at an independent garage. It may help you get to the root cause of the incident.

Quote:
Based on both our experiences its more or less safe to say that VW A.S.S guys are to be blamed for the diesel leak and not that I've got a defective car.
AFAIK A.S.S. don't remove and refit injectors at every service , so how are A.S.S. to be blamed for the injector going loose.

Last edited by hemen : 12th September 2012 at 11:31. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 12th September 2012, 11:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

shashank, I have a Vento and I have had problems with my gear lever (some part was replaced under warranty).

Noise in steering after going through rough road (they said they lubricated it and is now gone)
The brakes are not the best, while going down the ramp and engaging it a little makes some noise (again seen in many VWs)

My seat belt buckle makes an irritating noise, the AC vents had broken and got it replaced, fuel gauge doesn't work sometimes (again multiple people have had this problem and the SA said the fuel pump has to be replaced)

I like the horn though

I am not sure how many parts have been replaced for everyone owning a VW under warranty. It surely makes one to get concerned about how VW cars will fare after a couple of years and what the expenses are going to be once they are out of warranty.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
I feel this may be due to the engine vibrations inherent with the 3 pot 1.2TDI versions.
I agree that primarily 3 pots vibrate a LOT more than 4 pots do, but somehow i'm not convinced it could be the reason. VW uses this engine abroad too (blue motion or something) so they would've tested the engine extensively to ensure vibrations don't result in such serious troubles. It may need inspection more often, but i'm guessing additional vibrations would be taken care of.

Quote:
AFAIK A.S.S. don't remove and refit injectors at every service , so how are A.S.S. to be blamed for the injector going loose.
True they don't remove injectors at all. What i've heard is one needs to keep a check on the bolt on this overflow pipe and ensure it remains tight even on other cars, as its bound to become lose over a period of time.
In the Fabia's case, it was a old car and problem happened with 20k+ on the odo, one can argue negligence of the workshop chaps lead to this
In my case, car was brand new, 6 months and 6k on the odo when this happened. Its only a suspicion i have, no evidence to nail them or say with certainty A.S.S is to be blamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
shashank, I have a Vento and I have had problems with my gear lever (some part was replaced under warranty).

Noise in steering after going through rough road (they said they lubricated it and is now gone)
The brakes are not the best, while going down the ramp and engaging it a little makes some noise (again seen in many VWs)

My seat belt buckle makes an irritating noise, the AC vents had broken and got it replaced, fuel gauge doesn't work sometimes (again multiple people have had this problem and the SA said the fuel pump has to be replaced)

I like the horn though

I am not sure how many parts have been replaced for everyone owning a VW under warranty. It surely makes one to get concerned about how VW cars will fare after a couple of years and what the expenses are going to be once they are out of warranty.
Sad to hear of your experience with your Vento. The more and more I read about VW cars, its becoming clear that reliability is a hit or a miss. If you're lucky your car won't trouble you, else god help you!

The only reason I decided to keep the Polo is because I have 4 years warranty in all, will definitely sell it before warranty expires. We had plans of replacing our Octy with a Jetta last year, somehow it never happened. Don't think it'll happen in future also

EDIT VW has waived off Rs.1000 I had to pay towards diesel for diagnosing the leakage. Good move VW!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 12th September 2012 at 13:29.
Old 15th September 2012, 15:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

For those interested on reading how the car is performing post these problems, you can do so on my ownership thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...cements-5.html
Old 8th May 2013, 16:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

A fuel leak,AGAIN !!!

Yesterday as the car entered home I sensed diesel smell and dad also complained that the bunk attendant told him about fuel leaking from somewhere near the rear of the car.

Inspected near the engine and found that one of the injectors was leaking. Called VW technicians who found a leak near the fuel pump also (under the rear seat in a polo) there was so much fuel that had leaked that some of it was on the rear seat too. The technician used a cloth and had to wring it dry 3 times to remove all the diesel that had leaked.

They were clueless on why it had happened again.
I don't have the time to run around and discuss things with higher ups now as I'm busy with exams so will take it up after 18th until which time the car will be at home. Don't want to give it for service and have them dump it back on us with me being busy with other things.

I want to push for a replacement this time. How many tines can a car break down like this !? A case is not an option as we're already fighting 3 cases for the last 9 years. No patience or energy for another one.

Please help me with suggestions and options on what can be done in my scenario. I've lost whatever little trust I had on this car.

PS: I've my exams going on, so will not be able to update the thread very often but will check it once in a while till 18th after which you can expect regular updates.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'm adding a few pics of the diesel leak. The last few pics near the fuel pump were taken with my mobile cam so one can't "see" the diesel. When looked at in real, it was full of diesel

So is this car a lemon ?
Can I get a replacement now ?

Hope someone replies now
Attached Thumbnails
6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-bhp-1-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-bhp-2-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-bhp-3-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-bhp-4-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-bhp-5-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-bhp-6-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-img_20130507_213547-edit.jpg  

6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.-img_20130507_213622-edit.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2013, 19:41   #25
BHPian

So any updates yet? Have any offers been made to you from VW? Id say push for a new replacement car.

The thought of this happening while driving and the consequences are terrifying. Do send these pictures to VW and ask them will they pay you any damages if the car catches fire later on? Or will they ignore your case even then? It will just take one spark to engulf the whole vehicle and possibly the occupant. VW should be proactive and try to rectify the fault and earn faith of the customer rather than just wash their hands off the matter.

Hope this gets resolved soon. Do keep updating the thread.

Drive safe and perhaps you should start carrying a fire extinguisher in the car from now on. Id say its better not to drive the car for now. Have it towed to the workshop and keep those lads busy with your car. Keep calling them 100 times a day so that ultimately out of frustration your issues are rectified once and for all with quality components rather than substandard replacement parts which will leak again.

Lets see if VW can make a customer happy again.

Take care bro.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 22nd May 2013 at 19:56.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 20:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So any updates yet? Have any offers been made to you from VW? Id say push for a new replacement car.
No not yet. I'll be taking the car to the VW workshop tomorrow. Let me see what happens then.

Quote:
The thought of this happening while driving and the consequences are terrifying. Do send these pictures to VW and ask them will they pay you any damages if the car catches fire later on? Or will they ignore your case even then? It will just take one spark to engulf the whole vehicle and possibly the occupant. VW should be proactive and try to rectify the fault and earn faith of the customer rather than just wash their hands off the matter.
Absolutely! Its a terrifying thought.Knowing VW they will definitely pay their way out of it. Just like how they closed the Vento fire case in Pune. I expect them to be no different now.

Quote:
Hope this gets resolved soon. Do keep updating the thread.

Drive safe and perhaps you should start carrying a fire extinguisher in the car from now on. Id say its better not to drive the car for now. Have it towed to the workshop and keep those lads busy with your car. Keep calling them 100 times a day so that ultimately out of frustration your issues are rectified once and for all with quality components rather than substandard replacement parts which will leak again.

Lets see if VW can make a customer happy again.

Take care bro.
Will surely sit on their heads and get the car checked, but i'm not going to settle with just that. Will actively push for a replacement. Unfortunately not really sure if I can file a case against VW, but that option isn't ruled out yet!
Old 24th May 2013, 13:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6 months old VW Polo: 2 breakdowns, 2 parts replaced. Edit: Pics of fuel leak.

Update:

Contacted VW throught their FB page, they will contact me once a solution is found to my issue. I've asked them for a replacement without which I may be forced to go the consumer forum way. Hope they do so this time, meanwhile the car still is with me and is not being used much. Just started the car yesterday and on idling it for a few mins noticed no leakage near the fuel pump.
Not so sure about the injectors though.

Anybody here who's got the e-mail id's of VW higher up's ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 24th May 2013 at 13:46.
Old 24th May 2013, 20:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Update:

Contacted VW throught their FB page, they will contact me once a solution is found to my issue. I've asked them for a replacement without which I may be forced to go the consumer forum way. Hope they do so this time, meanwhile the car still is with me and is not being used much. Just started the car yesterday and on idling it for a few mins noticed no leakage near the fuel pump.
Not so sure about the injectors though.

Anybody here who's got the e-mail id's of VW higher up's ?
Hey

I wouldnt rely on their fb page. And doubtful if VW will give a replacement as we can ses from their previous wrongdoings with various forum members.

Companies like VW dont feel threatened by consumer forum as we can see from Mr. Harish's case related to SKODA.

Do carry a fire extinguisher.

Before taking the legal route, get official word from the Company itself and not your dealer about how they want to compensate you. If you deem that the compensation is not good enough and Vw not ready to budge, go ahead with the legal route.

Hope this issue gets resolved soon.

Drive safe.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 20:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Hey

I wouldnt rely on their fb page. And doubtful if VW will give a replacement as we can ses from their previous wrongdoings with various forum members.

Companies like VW dont feel threatened by consumer forum as we can see from Mr. Harish's case related to SKODA.

Do carry a fire extinguisher.

Before taking the legal route, get official word from the Company itself and not your dealer about how they want to compensate you. If you deem that the compensation is not good enough and Vw not ready to budge, go ahead with the legal route.

Hope this issue gets resolved soon.

Drive safe.
You are very right about how VW won't be bothered about a case, I think they'll be wiser than before and will hopefully not allow it to go the consumer forum way.

Will certainly try and interact with the company as far as possible.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2013 at 09:40. Reason: As requested
Old 26th May 2013, 11:02   #30
BHPian

though this reply is very late this could be the root cause for your diesel leak.

there is a PRV(pr. relief valve) present in your rail. the PRV can open because of many logics (issues in the engine), it is done inorder to protect the engine. since the PRV operates mechanically, the ECU of the vehicle ensures there will be a sudden spike in pr. in the rail(approx 1800 bar) so that the PRV can open. when it opens pr. will come down to 750 bar approx. this sudden spike would have resulted in diesel getting leaked out of the connecting pipes to the injectors from the rail if they were misaligned during assembly.

this is one possible issue for diesel getting leaked not during the engine testing or your vehicle running properly so long properly because this would be the 1st time that your PRV would have opened.
leylander is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks