Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:03   #1
BHPian

Wagon R Vxi and rear wipers.

I have been looking up the Wagon R Vxi and the Santro XO. No rear wipers in the former -- why would Maruti leave out rear wipers on this one?

I find a rear wiper very useful in the rains, especially the kind you get in a place like Siliguri - I was just wondering how others on this forum find the usefulness of having rear wipers or regret not having one in their cars..

Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2006, 20:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

As far as i remember WagonR vx used to have rear wipers.. before the "all new" clear lens update in late 2003
Old 25th April 2006, 16:16   #3
BHPian

WagonR Vxi is not fitted with rear window defogger- this is more effective than wiper.
Wipers will only swipe rear window but defogger will give you better view both in rainy conditions and in winters
Old 25th April 2006, 16:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

How difficult is it to get the rear wipers as an after-market fitment? And yes defogger is indeed more useful than wipers. But if you are parking then its very useful to have both.
Old 25th April 2006, 18:06   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I have a Xing XS and during dust storms and rain the rear wiper is a booon ... being a puny hatch the rear window collects a lot of dust and water the wiper cleans it off effectivly
Old 25th April 2006, 18:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Oh johy, believe me life can be miserable in hard rains, no matter where you are (siliguri, silchar or sicily). During the last rains I was driving back one night from office. It was real bad, the way it was raining. The front wiper was doing its best to wipe off the water alongwith the AC blowing furiously to keep the fog away on the windshield. But the side door glasses were dripping wet and completely foggy alongwith the rear glass pane. I simply could not make out what was overtaking me from which side... It was horrendous and Hyderabadis won't give up even in that kind of weather. Motorcyclists seem to have a deathwish jumping in front from all sides, overtaking from the wrong side... Believe me, whether you have the rear wiper or not, its better to stay @home in such weather
Old 26th April 2006, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

the rear wiper definitely helps ....and i feel all small cars should have it compulsorily ....also having proper mudflaps will ensure that less water and grime is thrown up at the rear windshield and at the other vehicles following you .
Old 26th April 2006, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Also I cant find power windows for rear doors even in high end Wagon R's. Is suzuki playing "low cost" game by denying the consumers with the essentials.
Old 26th April 2006, 11:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge3p
Also I cant find power windows for rear doors even in high end Wagon R's. Is suzuki playing "low cost" game by denying the consumers with the essentials.

Its not Suzuki.. Its Maruti which is playing low cost games here.
Old 26th April 2006, 11:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge3p
Also I cant find power windows for rear doors even in high end Wagon R's. .

when i ahd written to maruti about it ,they replied back saying that small cars will have the owners sitting in teh front ,so PW's are required only in the front
,whereas cars like the esteem might have owner's sitting in the rear seat..so they have PW's in the rear as well ...

all crap
Old 26th April 2006, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

At least its better than a TATA Sierra.. which does not even have manual windows at the rear.. its all fixed.. :
Old 26th April 2006, 14:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy
I have been looking up the Wagon R Vxi and the Santro XO. No rear wipers in the former -- why would Maruti leave out rear wipers on this one?

I find a rear wiper very useful in the rains, especially the kind you get in a place like Siliguri - I was just wondering how others on this forum find the usefulness of having rear wipers or regret not having one in their cars..

Thanks.
I have done this research before, the story goes like this.

1. Rear defogger is a must to clear the fog on the rear window.
2. Rear wiper is required on hatchbacks[santro, wagonR etc] only and not on sedans[like accent, esteem etc]. The purpose is not to clear rain water drops. But in hatchback the dirt on the road is thrown onto the rear window along with water on the road.
3. Defogger is more important than a rear wiper from visibility point of view
4. I had posted a query on maruti-website to check if they can fix 'rear wiper' after purchase. They said "this is not advisable because it would involve shearing metal work of the rear door, which can reduce its strength and introduce vibration and noise".

In my Maruti 800 (which didn't have rear wiper or rear defogger my observation) is

1. fog is a real problem, this hinders the rear visibility the most. I used to ask my parents sitting at the back seat to wipe off the fog on the rear window, else it was impossible to see the rear traffic.

2. the dirt on rear window during rain (to be cleaned by rear wiper) does hamper the visibilty but not as bad as fog.
Old 26th April 2006, 22:40   #13
BHPian

In almost any rain..I really don;t miss the rear wipers..for some reason..the water just moves off quickly on the rear screen of the lancer..All I do is to Switch on the Hazard - Fog Lamps- Wipers- AC - Rear D-Mister.. and it works fine...!
Old 27th April 2006, 11:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
In almost any rain..I really don;t miss the rear wipers..for some reason..the water just moves off quickly on the rear screen of the lancer..All I do is to Switch on the Hazard - Fog Lamps- Wipers- AC - Rear D-Mister.. and it works fine...!
Lancer is a sedan and sedan's do not have 'rear viper' [accords, camrys, mondeos, accents none of them have it]

Accent viva is an exception as it not a true sedan, b'cos its boot is half the lenght of normal boot.

Rearwiper is required not to clear rain-water droplets, but its purpose is to clear the dirt that is thrown on to the rear windwo by your own car's rear tyres
Old 27th April 2006, 14:09   #15
BHPian

Thanks friends for your feedback, esp to venkatrx for a detailed analysis. I have been looking into the issue primarily as I am in the process of selling my 1999 Santro Deluxe and purchasing the Wagon R Vxi.

And Zappo, I can't agree with you more - regarding the rains, but the other day I was heading back in the rains and I must say the Rear Wipers did come in handy - very handy and that was the only window I could see something from.

Most Viewed