Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 09:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do all Tata cars 'age' permanently?

I'd always felt that my Indica turbo was becoming slower and slower, especially when the frame of reference was one of my best friend's 2007 Swift Vdi. However, most people, and even good mechanics say that with age, it happens to all indicas, and there is not much you can do about it. For reference, my car could hit 140 easily, with room for higher speeds, now goes like a rocket till around 90, and then struggles to reach 125ish speeds, and doesnt go any faster.

Is the only solution to this a total replacement (engine/the car itself?)

I'd always thought that as long as you took good care of a machine, you could keep it reasonably close to new, but this is rather disappointing.

Do all cars suffer such significant decreases in performance, or is this a tata or a diesel specific thing?
Old 6th September 2012, 09:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do all Tata cars 'age' permanently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Do all cars suffer such significant decreases in performance, or is this a tata or a diesel specific thing?
How old is your car? And whats the current odo reading?

It is surely not a Diesel specific thing. My friend' 2007 Swift LDi had close to 90K on the odo when we sold it. But the engine when hot was still as fresh and punchy as ever.

The only time the car lost power was when the air filter was clogged. We had an aftermarket fitment and it used to suck up dust like there is no tomorrow. Then we started cleaning the Greens filter more frequently.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

There could be many reasons but the engine may have low compression (due to worn out piston rings etc). I dont think it happens in all cars, at least till 100 K kms or so.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:06   #4
BHPian

My indica V2 non turbo (sold) was having ODO of 1.3Lk it was having less power and it was difiicult to drive also. But once i did the fuel pump reconditioning it was performing as good as it was a brand new car. But this did not hold for a long, after a few months the situation was poor. My car was well maintained and engine oil was changed all times at 8K. the engine was good but the only issue with indica is that it lacks the capacity to pull the fuel from the tank to engine. Like other Bhpians said if you put a universal fuel pump in the fuel line the car will be like brand new. So my assumption is that, for indica the wear and tear happens more to fuel pump than the engine. so if you can put an additional universal fuel pump your car will become a horse once again.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
How old is your car? And whats the current odo reading?
5 Years/ 55K Kms of mostly city driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
My indica V2 non turbo (sold) was having ODO of 1.3Lk it was having less power and it was difiicult to drive also. But once i did the fuel pump reconditioning it was performing as good as it was a brand new car. But this did not hold for a long, after a few months the situation was poor. My car was well maintained and engine oil was changed all times at 8K. the engine was good but the only issue with indica is that it lacks the capacity to pull the fuel from the tank to engine. Like other Bhpians said if you put a universal fuel pump in the fuel line the car will be like brand new. So my assumption is that, for indica the wear and tear happens more to fuel pump than the engine. so if you can put an additional universal fuel pump your car will become a horse once again.
My fuel pump was reconditioned a few years ago, with not much difference. Mine has also been obsessively maintained (oil changes every 5K Kms, and services every 6 months). All my filters - oil, fuel, air were replaced a few months ago. You're right, the car does feel very sluggish when the tank is almost empty, and very happy on a full tank. Can you give some more info on this universal fuel pump? I recall there is a low pressure one which sends fuel from the tank, and another one at the engine side.

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th September 2012 at 11:52.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:50   #6
BHPian

I have had my Indica V2 Petrol for all of 7.5 years now and run 80k. I will affirm that these cars age permenant, despite of taking all the care.

Have been doing 6months / 5000km service, still something or the other goes pop in every 2-3 months time. Have lost the ECU, Camshaft sensor, and other electrical issues for countless times in last 2 years.

Lately it has suffered from heating issues and looks like its headed to a HEAD job. (Fan, fuses, radiator, plumbing, auxilory tanks repaired/replaced and still no luck)

Left me stranded on road / highway 2-3 times recently and have decided to give her rest. Cannot sell as the price is too low and hence decided to transfer it to my hometown where parents would use it when they are there. Booked a new car, expecting delivery in a week
Old 6th September 2012, 12:19   #7
BHPian

The 475 block has a peculiar habit of clogging the lines. One option is to change the fuel lines. Also, the air filter manifold and intake hose tend to block up over time. dont just change the air filters, ensure that you review the pipes too. Sometimes as the engine heats up the air hose tends to lose its effectiveness (vortexing) due to pipe collapse.
Like you mentioned it happens only at higher speeds, I am thinking it could be due to an air deficiency.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 13:14   #8
BHPian

No matter how much care you take, the Indica's age pretty fast.

Though the paint & body of my 2003 v2 DLS (sold in 2010 @ 55k kms) help up well; The front suspension set up gave up @ 30k kms followed by AC, Glow plug timer & Overheating issues. Most irritating was the Power steering Rack & Pinion failure @ 48k kms. The timing belt started making typical 'chee chee chee' noises only after 2k kms of ownership. It stopped after every service but again after few hundred kms, it started emanating the same noise.

Also, the plastics inside became brittle and when scratched lightly with nail, it used to come out as flakes just like a dried up soap bar!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 6th September 2012 at 13:17.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 13:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
5 Years/ 55K Kms of mostly city driving

My fuel pump was reconditioned a few years ago, with not much difference. Mine has also been obsessively maintained (oil changes every 5K Kms, and services every 6 months). All my filters - oil, fuel, air were replaced a few months ago. You're right, the car does feel very sluggish when the tank is almost empty, and very happy on a full tank. Can you give some more info on this universal fuel pump? I recall there is a low pressure one which sends fuel from the tank, and another one at the engine side.
you can contact MBG_Evo he has tried the additional fuel pump. the post link is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...fuel-pump.html

the fuel pump used is Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump , this is available in amazon site and it costs 100$. I hope this will help you.
http://www.amazon.com/Walbro-255LPH-.../dp/B006T86830
Old 6th September 2012, 14:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

MGB_Evo's profile seems to indicate he's a Gulf based Tuner. Not really if he has tried it on an indica, or folks here would be up to the task
Old 6th September 2012, 14:49   #11
BANNED

Quote:
TML cars/UVs, somehow, tend to age faster than the competition.

I was of the impression that I was biased and began to ask other people, especially cab drivers about their opinion and most of them agreed that it was best to sell a TML vehicle in 3 years post purchase after which it becomes too worn out for efficient use.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:58   #12
BHPian

My 2007 indica V2 GLS petrol has done around 40000kms and still going strong.Its currently used by my brotherinlaw and he said he managed to touch 150km/hr in chennai-bangalore highway recently and mileage is 16km/l for the entire trip.
touchwood.
excellent VFM car.
Resale value is abysmal compared to other cars though.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:05   #13
BHPian

All Tata cars age permanently.. The car is as good as new till 60k on the odo. It changes from every kilometer there on. The engine looses its charm, Ac tends to be weak, clutch issues and suspension feels like its going to die. To know the difference drive an indica with a tata engine and use the car with the Quadrajet engine with the same odo. The Fiat sourced Quadrajet is still a gem.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of the current crops of Tata cars but earlier ones surely aged much faster and not in a fashion that one would enjoy. They would typically rattle too soon, engine would feel aged when its only at ~60K in comparison i have seen my friends Santros holding on much better for few more years.

Another area they age faster are plastic quality and switches, but i must add the current cars seem to be of a better quality.
Old 6th September 2012, 17:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dev, we all know how most of the taxi's are maintained/used and it wont be right to take the feedback from the cab guys, as far as i gather from people who belong to this industry, the Indigo and aswel Sumo fare well even if they have done close to a lac km or more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
TML cars/UVs, somehow, tend to age faster than the competition.I was of the impression that I was biased and began to ask other people, especially cab drivers .....
Suspensions, clutch related issue is common with all the brands, when they have done a lac km or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
All Tata cars age permanently.. .....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks