Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 16:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Got my alignment/balancing re-done from Skoda workshop. Results were satisfactory, will post the detailed report soon.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:52   #47
BHPian

Update : The car has done 5000 kms more (odo reading in 35K).

Touchwood, its working perfectly fine so far, alignment/balancing all well.
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Update : The car has done 5000 kms more (odo reading in 35K).

HI turbo Head!

I have been extensively following your ownership and this thread.
I have locked down to two models for purchase before the new year
Nissan Sunny Xv (top end diesel)
Skoda rapid elegance tdi

With stories of successful ownership for nissan owners without many BIG bomb like problems and relaible japanese badge we are almost sold to the car

But the skoda has its own quality and feel, sunny is no where to match that. But skoda horror experiences like these pull such thoughts down

As per your whole expeience, would you say that this was a one off problem or something that most skodas will suffer?
I am currently dealing with nawab motors Noida sector 8

Thanks a lot!
Sahil Verma
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Turbohead,

Good to know that no issues post the traumatic experience. I would like to know whether the customer care e-mails/toll free nos/Rahul Kulkarni contact details helped you in your case (did you contact Rahul Kulkarni) coz one of my office colleagues is in need of some higher up contact nos as his Skoda Laura was recently tampered by the dealer during regular servicing (dont know the actual issues, will try to find out). Any other contact information will be useful.
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
HI turbo Head!

I have been extensively following your ownership and this thread.
I have locked down to two models for purchase before the new year
Nissan Sunny Xv (top end diesel)
Skoda rapid elegance tdi

With stories of successful ownership for nissan owners without many BIG bomb like problems and relaible japanese badge we are almost sold to the car

But the skoda has its own quality and feel, sunny is no where to match that. But skoda horror experiences like these pull such thoughts down

As per your whole expeience, would you say that this was a one off problem or something that most skodas will suffer?
I am currently dealing with nawab motors Noida sector 8

Thanks a lot!
Sahil Verma
I believe the product doesn't meet the expectations of the much hype brand and certainly not in the league of the model it replaced (ideally it was Octavia's replacement) and needs much more improvement. My suspension & brakes problem seems to be just the tip of the iceberg. As another friend has quoted, its like driving a ticking bomb, waiting patiently to explode.

As far as the relevant problem is concerned, I again got the alignment and balancing checked from Skoda workshop and thankfully its just fine. However the front AC vents were feeling slightly flimsy (not moving/seems broken) and replacement will cost 4450/- + Taxes. Do I need to say anything more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Turbohead,

Good to know that no issues post the traumatic experience. I would like to know whether the customer care e-mails/toll free nos/Rahul Kulkarni contact details helped you in your case (did you contact Rahul Kulkarni) coz one of my office colleagues is in need of some higher up contact nos as his Skoda Laura was recently tampered by the dealer during regular servicing (dont know the actual issues, will try to find out). Any other contact information will be useful.
Nope I did not contact Mr Kulkarni for the reason, workshop GM offered a good discount and assured me for good job, Thankfully the concerned problem is sorted for my satisfaction as of now.
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 11:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
However the front AC vents were feeling slightly flimsy (not moving/seems broken) and replacement will cost 4450/- + Taxes. Do I need to say anything more

Well A/c vents of quite a few cars feel flimsy and the fins get cut when some pressure is applied. this is basically because the mechanism tends to dry up. its always better to regularly lubricate the vents with Singer Machine Oil or WD 40. Have experienced this on my Scorpio, Linea, SX4 and Vento
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 12:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Well A/c vents of quite a few cars feel flimsy and the fins get cut when some pressure is applied. this is basically because the mechanism tends to dry up. its always better to regularly lubricate the vents with Singer Machine Oil or WD 40. Have experienced this on my Scorpio, Linea, SX4 and Vento
Well maybe, though I have never faced any such problem ever in any of my cars, including Swift/Scorpio/SX4/Civic/Estilo etc.

However this was certainly not expected from the car of this class, heck even Indica's vents use to last longer than these.
Old 15th December 2012, 15:28   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
AC vents of Rapid are indeed very flimsy. I have never faced this problem with earlier cars. Heck even our 11 year old Santro vents are original till date.
Our car cleaner out of over enthusiasm broke the RHS vent of Rapid while clearing the dirt.

Have got it replaced from the dealer and the cost was Rs 850(including taxes). SA initially quoted me Rs 3000 cost as an estimate but later he told that he has mistaken cost of Laura AC vent with Rapid one.
Old 27th June 2013, 21:51   #54

I just saw this thread while browsing about rapid's brake pads. I am shocked to see the tyre conditions & now I feel there's seems like a technical issue with the Rapid. Infact my car has also done 30k kms though in 14months & my front tyres are in similar condition. I have owned & driven alto, swift & sx4 for nearly 50k but never did any of my tyre's died so early. No doubt Rapid has gone through some abuse as I usually do a lot of spirited driving but I still feel that 30k is way too early for tyres to wear out (correct me if I am wrong). However, I still presume that my tyres might have been replaced while my car was once in the workshop for sometime for a minor accident repair as I've heard such stories but after reading this thread, I think I'll have to get everything checked properly. I have booked my service this Saturday at Fahrenheit Moti Nagar, Delhi & hope it is not a major issue but normal wear out due spirited driving.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:48   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyMK View Post
t I still feel that 30k is way too early for tyres to wear out (correct me if I am wrong). ......

hope it is not a major issue but normal wear out due spirited driving.
My Rapid has done 28K and the tyres look as if they will easily do another 20K. And all my driving is spirited as I use the Rapid only for long distance travel and never in the city. Actually the Rapid is not a city car in my opinion but thats the matter for another thread entirely.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:13   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
My Rapid has done 28K and the tyres look as if they will easily do another 20K. And all my driving is spirited as I use the Rapid only for long distance travel and never in the city. Actually the Rapid is not a city car in my opinion but thats the matter for another thread entirely.
Precisely Veyron, that's what my point is. I am a spirited driver by nature but still I have never witnessed any such thing on any of my previous cars which had all sorts of tyres from JK to Bridgestone to Apollo's but this is just unbelievable!! Though, I agree that Rapid has been handled in different manner all together but I am still doubtful & difficult to believe the condition of the tyres that too with just 30k on the ODO.That's why I thought they might have been replaced at the workshop but after going through this thread, I am a little worried now. Anyhow, I'll get a thorough check up done tomorrow & just hope that now new issues or niggles crop up.
Old 23rd August 2014, 01:55   #57
BHPian

Hit a brick @ high speed.. Damage won't go away.. Need help

Hi guys..

I hit this rock at a high speed.. Went off the road. It's an old Santro xing, 7 years in. . Never had any steering issues. The left tyre burst, the suspension arm bent backwards, and I got back and made a few changes. It's been a week but I am very unhappy with the car now.

It was a Sunday so I change the suspension arm. There was another second hand one available, or a desi piece, I went for the prior.

Changed the rim, bought new front tires, new left strut and mount as the old one was bent, but a few things are not OK.

1. My steering pulls to the left a bit.. No matter what... And is now more susceptible to a road's tilt than ever before, in either direction. Toe in is 1° each.
2. Steering feels tougher to the right.
3. I had to have my camber adjusted using a 11mm mounting bold instead of the stock 13. It's still on the high side for the hit tyre.. But it was always been towards the max positive tolerance value. This is a desi fix the tyre guy talked me into.
4. Post alignment the car is not as good a ride as it once was.

Please advise me what to get looked up. I've got a elementary idea of a checklist for this.. But am not clear on what to do next. I've been taken for a ride so a little explanation of what to look for will go a long way. A rough idea of associated expenditure would be great.

The bushings
Tie rod
Suspension spring
Chassis
Suspension arm mount
New suspension arm?
Anything else that you can think of.

Much thanks!
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hit a brick @ high speed.. Damage won't go away.. Need help

What about the caster angle of the wheel? I bet the left wheel has got shifted backwards which is causing the pulling. Camber value can be at the end of the max tolerance and yet there may not be issue. But if there is a difference in the caster angle of the left and right wheel, it will pull to side very prominently.

I think the car will need a session on the chassis aligner which can correct any bends or damages thus causing a bad caster angle.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:01   #59
BHPian

Hi,

The caster must be a little out of place.. . True... Given that the strut was bent. I got the strut replaced along with the strut mount... That brought things back in line. My alignment guy I didn't help with the caster... Where can I get the caster checked? Next, this chassis alignment machine... Could you please explain what to expect?
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:17   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
My alignment guy I didn't help with the caster... Where can I get the caster checked? Next, this chassis alignment machine... Could you please explain what to expect?
A practical and cost effective solution to this caster problem can be provided by any experienced denter. He will simply stretch the compressed part of the chassis out using a truck jack, and match the distance between the front and rear wheels with the non-accidental side.

This technique provides an very acceptable solution, if not 100% perfect. The pulling problem will stop and the steering will be back to normal.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks