Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 13:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Going by your statement it should be the issue with Selector cable. If you are interested and the car is untouched by the mechanic, open the hood and check the gearbox area for selector cable mechanism to understand what went wrong.

Yup, the lock on the selector cable has broken. Asked him why, he says can happen in 8 years of having the car. He has tied it and done some jugaad with a wire for now cause I have some work to attend to and need the car. Locks don't come separate have to change the cable will do it tomorrow.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gear not slotting in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
The car was running normal.
After entering the office building, went to the basement (one level down) and stopped to reverse and park between 2 cars, again same problem. The gears wont work. Pushed the car into place with the help of a not-so-interested-in-helping security guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Now once I left, the car would not slot in the first 2 gears. The is just no left side gear movement. Only up and down that's the third and fourth that felt like my third was now my first and the fourth was now my second gear. Cannot even engage my reverse gear. Called the FNG he picked the call at 1:00 AM!
Said it is not an issue just some cables, not a problem, left the car there. He also told me to drive it on third gear home but I won't take that chance. Hope it's the cable and not some transmission related expensive issue!
My 9 year old Dzire has 70K + on the odo and has been regularly serviced at MASS. Few days ago after starting up in the morning it refused to go into any gear except 4th, no reverse gear and no other gear. So I called up my MASS guy and he took off the air box and stated that a small rubber washer connecting the gear change cables to the gear box had worn off. Changed it for 50/- INR and the car was back to normal. Yesterday, the same thing happened while driving and I was stuck on Bangalore roads with a car which is in 4th gear only. Anyway I clutched my way back home for 2 kms and called the MASS again. Today, after a detailed examination it was found that the cable is slipping out of the gear change lever at the transmission casing (situated under the air box) due to wear and tear due to usage and he fixed it with Mseal.

Hopefully this sorts out the problem.

But my point of posting this is, if a small bush or wear and tear of a part can cause the vehicle to become almost totally unserviceable, shouldn't this inspection be part of the service schedule?
Old 7th November 2018, 18:41   #18
BHPian

I had the shifter cables replaced in my 9.5 year Linea (50K kms) after I pointed out to the SA that gear stick felt a trifle hard and at times a bit rubbery. Super smooth now.

I just hope they did a good job and I won't be stranded without gears someday. Been less than a week now. Keeping fingers crossed...

Parts for reference: https://www.99rpm.com/fiat/gear-leve...ire-linea.html
Old 7th November 2018, 21:12   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My 9 year old Dzire has 70K + on the odo and has been regularly serviced at MASS. Few days ago after starting up in the morning it refused to go into any gear except 4th, no reverse gear and no other gear. So I called up my MASS guy and he took off the air box and stated that a small rubber washer connecting the gear change cables to the gear box had worn off. Changed it for 50/- INR and the car was back to normal. Yesterday, the same thing happened while driving and I was stuck on Bangalore roads with a car which is in 4th gear only. Anyway I clutched my way back home for 2 kms and called the MASS again. Today, after a detailed examination it was found that the cable is slipping out of the gear change lever at the transmission casing (situated under the air box) due to wear and tear due to usage and he fixed it with Mseal.

Hopefully this sorts out the problem.

But my point of posting this is, if a small bush or wear and tear of a part can cause the vehicle to become almost totally unserviceable, shouldn't this inspection be part of the service schedule?

Yes absolutely bang on. In my Old 2005 Gypsy recently bought second or third hand, the 4WD gear box wouldn’t move out of neutral. It is a simple fix. All it needed was a little rubber bush and once that was done, it was absolutely normal.
Trouble is that most mechanics dont know about these little things and frankly, their interest in always the fast turnaround of vehicles, so when they are at a loss as to what to do, they start blaming everyone around!

For older vehicles, better to hunt up and find a good independent garage who actually have far better expertise than some of these authorised service centres do....
Old 19th November 2019, 07:45   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am facing a similar problem with my Swift. Car is 12.5 years old & done around 88,000 km. Clutch & Flywheel has been changed before.

When I stopped at a signal today, the gear shift felt totally loose when I try to shift into 1st gear - I don't think it's engaging first gear at all. I had to start moving at a higher gear to return home. 3rd & 4th gear seems to be engaging fine. 1st totally not engaging. When I put in first, I think the shift goes to the 3rd gear position.

What could be the problem? I am planning to take it to an independent mechanic mechanic (been years since I have gone to MASS - even the clutch plate change was done by the same independent mechanic. Is it safe to drive to the mechanic? I drove back home (3-4 kms) after the problem started on the road.
Old 20th November 2019, 18:45   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am facing a similar problem with my Swift. Car is 12.5 years old & done around 88,000 km. Clutch & Flywheel has been changed before.

Taking the car to the mechanic today was a big problem. Couldn't slot the reverse gear at all and I can't get out of my building without reversing. So had to push the car & also use the steering to manage reversing the direction & then started the car in 2nd gear & took it to the neighbourhood mechanic. He said the gear changer is jammed. The gear changer was underneath the battery & the coolant box in the bonnet. He disassembled it, cleaned it, put WD-40 etc & everything started working fine. He also changed the bush for the reverse gear.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 18:58   #22
BHPian

HI Carboy
thanks for Stating the trouble you encountered and the solution.

Gear change lever inside car, is linked to gear box via Rod link, there is noting much Outside of Gear box casing which can get Jammed.
Can you share couple of Pics to understand what he cleaned actually.
Thanks

Quote:
started the car in 2nd gear & took it to the neighbourhood mechanic. He said the gear changer is jammed. The gear changer was underneath the battery & the coolant box in the bonnet. He disassembled it, cleaned it, put WD-40 etc & everything started working fine. He also changed the bush for the reverse gear.
Old 20th November 2019, 20:08   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
HI Carboy
thanks for Stating the trouble you encountered and the solution.

Gear change lever inside car, is linked to gear box via Rod link, there is noting much Outside of Gear box casing which can get Jammed.
Can you share couple of Pics to understand what he cleaned actually.
Thanks

Unfortunately, I didn't click any pictures. It was below my battery & coolant box. It had a spring & metal gaskets etc. I will check again over the weekend, but I am not sure if it will be visible without removing the battery.
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:44   #24
BHPian

Presently encountering gear shift problems in my 2010 Swift Dzire VXI : I had traveled for 20 km last week and I had no issues in gear shift.

When I was entering my home and trying to take reverse gear, it simply did not work. I observe that gear stick seems to be right shifted. Ie Gear 3/4 position works like 1/2 and 5/R for 3/4 but unable to move to left most position. Due to this reverse gear also does not seem to work.

I managed to park the car by going in circle around my parking slot and not using the reverse gear. I tried with car off/on and also with/without clutch press, but the effect is the same.

Any suggestions on what to look at ?
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Maybe check the mounting from below since you feel that the position has shifted
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
I observe that gear stick seems to be right shifted. Ie Gear 3/4 position works like 1/2 and 5/R for 3/4 but unable to move to left most position. Due to this reverse gear also does not seem to work.
Visited CARS India MASS at Kottivakkam and it was root-caused to faulty bush under the gear knob. On changing the bush, the shifts are working fine and total work was done in 10 min.

Looks this is common problem in Swift/dzire and updating the thread back for future reference.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:26   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Visited CARS India MASS at Kottivakkam and it was root-caused to faulty bush under the gear knob. On changing the bush, the shifts are working fine and total work was done in 10 min.
How much was total bill?
Quote:
Looks this is common problem in Swift/dzire and updating the thread back for future reference.
Yeah, looks identical to my problem described just a few comments above yours. But my Swift is 12 years old.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
How much was total bill?

Yeah, looks identical to my problem described just a few comments above yours. But my Swift is 12 years old.
I was not charged anything today.
Old 19th January 2020, 02:42   #29

Being the most selling car in our country, small issues related to gearbox are still quite prevalent.
My Dzire had recently completed 100K mark and was coming back from Manesar, Haryana.
Everything was going good, but within the vicinity of 500m from my residence, the gearbox became free, as if there are no slots present, though the engine was running fine.
Asked a security guard to help me push the car away from the road. Tried all sorts of methods so that my gearbox becomes fine(pressing the clutch again and again, slotting different gears though there was no feel of their existence).
I paid that security guard some money and asked him to take care of the vehicle till morning.
Next Day I took a mechanic with me, he opened the bonnet and removed the battery, I don't know what he did down with some cables but there was some sound of tick and the gear box became fine.
Since it was a small job, I never took interest in looking what the actual reason was.
The car was not driven for another two days.
But today(18 January 2020), I was again coming back from my work when this problem occurred , I had to call a nearby mechanic once again. This time he did not took out the battery, fiddled with some cables down and asked me to get the gear wire changed as it is the sole reason for the gearbox to become free.
I am still confused as to what has happened to my car, is is the clutch, synchronizer ,gearbox, bushes, clutch wire, etc.
Looking forward to go to MASS and get the whole problem checked. The mechanic also told met that this can happen anytime so I need to get this issue resolved.
I'll be highly thankful if anyone can guide me towards the solution and how this problem occurred .
Old 19th January 2020, 09:21   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devcar98 View Post
I'll be highly thankful if anyone can guide me towards the solution and how this problem occurred .
Shift cables have a (plastic) snap fit at ends along with spring locks. It is quite obvious for them to wear at 100k mileage. Get the shift and select cables changed and look for wear or play in the gear shift assembly as well.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed