Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 16:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes

Unfortunately vibrations on braking are increasing in my Polo. Now they are easily felt and on breaking from around 80kmph not just the steering and the break pedals but the car as a whole vibrates and feels like its going through a bad patch of road. I am attaching some pics of the discs. As you can see there are some marks on the disc which are not present on my other ride. On touching the disc one can feel that its not wearing out evenly. Feels like some lines on the disc.

@1self: Although what you said might be technically correct I cannot agree with your view of riding and braking hard. I have owned many cars earlier and none of them has showed any issue like this. And if changing road and traffic conditions are to blame still my Linea should have shown something like this which has already done 20k. Also I am yet to have any emergency braking situation on my Polo while I did have one on my Linea. So I don't think my driving style has caused this. Are you guys sure VW will not honour warranty for this? Car is just 1 year old and issues like this were never expected. Where is VW quality? I checked one of my relatives Polo and saw similar spots on his disc too. But that car has done just 6000kms. Service from EVM Volkswagen is nothing to write home about. Will be visiting the service center within a few days. Whats the possible solution guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes-20121216_201512.jpg  

Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes-20121216_201617.jpg  

Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes-dscn1717.jpg  

SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 16:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Skoda has issued the attached advisory on the brakes of the Rapid (soft copy expected but posting pics of the relevant pages meanwhile). Rapid owners with particular VIN numbers are expected to face the problem of juddering (steering wheel vibrating while braking at speed along with pulsing of the brake pedal) after a certain period of usage.

The causes that lead to the situation and the remedies suggested by Skoda are indicated in therein. In the Rapid, situations that usually lead to this juddering are high speed driving and the resultant need for forceful braking before the brakes warm up. Skoda suggests replacement of brake pads and rotors under warranty when this problem occurs.

Please be advised that if you face the problem you would need to make the necessary warranty claim within 6 months or 10,000 kms whichever comes earlier. Skoda has been gracious enough to replace my rotors and brake pads although I have done 11,400 kms.

Those of you who have a Rapid may check whether your VIN number qualifies for replacement. I would think that Vento owners may also face a similar concern and they could check whether there is a similar advisory.
Thanks for posting this Veyron...I have had this problem of shuddering during a recent trip on the blr highway. Especially noticeable during high speeds, say 90 to 120 and if you brake at those speeds the steering wheel shudders quite a lot...but it did not happen if I or the vehicle naturally decelerate. Read this thread after the trip, sent the car to the service station and they did change the brake pads, did not change the discs though. But I am not facing the problem any more...hopefully that was enough and the discs are fine. They look quite ok, and i could not find any scratches on the discs.
I have the car on lease and was told the leasing company had to talk to the skoda to get this done under warranty. Looks like a normal process, and they were able to get that done easily.

By the way the car did about 9.5k so far and is fun to drive, in the city and on the highway too...max speed I could do was 150 on NH7, and another Rapid overtook me so that one must be doing 170 easily! And the FE in Hyderabad has been an amazing 17kmpl!
pramodallamraju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:35   #18
BHPian

I have purchased a Rapid in Jan 2013 from Vinayaka Bangalore from previous years lot. Covered around 10k km. I have been noticing a couple of things :

1)Problem 1 - Steering vibrates very visibly when i touch 80 + km/h. when i lift my leg of the accelerator, the vibration reduces.

2) Problem 2- Occasionally on 4th gear even at a decent rpm, i see the gear lever vibrating when i press accelerator. When I remove my feet off the gas, the vibration stops. When i shift to higher gear also, the vibration stops - something to do only at 4th gear.

Friends, pls suggest what to do?
kiranknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 22:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
I have purchased a Rapid in Jan 2013 from Vinayaka Bangalore from previous years lot. Covered around 10k km. I have been noticing a couple of things :

1)Problem 1 - Steering vibrates very visibly when i touch 80 + km/h. when i lift my leg of the accelerator, the vibration reduces.
Seems to be a speed wobble, please go and get your wheels balanced at a reputed tire shop

Quote:
2) Problem 2- Occasionally on 4th gear even at a decent rpm, i see the gear lever vibrating when i press accelerator. When I remove my feet off the gas, the vibration stops. When i shift to higher gear also, the vibration stops - something to do only at 4th gear.

If the gear lever moves a little it is normal, if it continuously vibrates then your mounts might be gone. Please get ASC to check

Hope it is sorted soon.
Diesel_convert is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 20:16   #20
BANNED

Quote:

1) This is a common problem that occurs with some Skoda's around 10K kms. This usually happens as the rotors are wearing out in an uneven manner and you will have to true them to make this problem disappear. The symptoms appear to be similar to that of wheels out of balance but is usually because of the uneven wearing out of the rotors.

2) Ignore the problem mentioned in (2) above as it happens in most cars.

(Pressed your thanks button in error instead of the "quote" button )
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 18:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
1) This is a common problem that occurs with some Skoda's around 10K kms. This usually happens as the rotors are wearing out in an uneven manner and you will have to true them to make this problem disappear. The symptoms appear to be similar to that of wheels out of balance but is usually because of the uneven wearing out of the rotors.
Thanks! Should I do something as rotors are wearing out in an uneven manner or would it get automatically fixed with time? Sorry for being ignorant. Also, I am not able to get the issue in the last couple of days. Let me drive it on a good highway to see if this issue still persists.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:33   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks! Should I do something as rotors are wearing out in an uneven manner or would it get automatically fixed with time?
This problem will not get fixed automatically over time. You have to get it checked by the ASC. Until the problem is resolved do not drive above speeds that produce the vibration as it could damage other components of the car such as your steering linkages etc. Since you are under 10k kms , the rotor issue may even be taken up under warranty. (although there is also a 6 month limit too)
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 20:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
This problem will not get fixed automatically over time. You have to get it checked by the ASC. Until the problem is resolved do not drive above speeds that produce the vibration as it could damage other components of the car such as your steering linkages etc. Since you are under 10k kms , the rotor issue may even be taken up under warranty. (although there is also a 6 month limit too)
Helllo Supersport,

I have an august 2012 manufactured Rapid.
I have faced this problem at 7600kms, was very disappointed to have this vibration issue.

Came across your thread and reported to skoda, they within a day changed the rotors(both sides) under warranty.

Now, at 12000kms the same problem has resurfaced again and the symptoms are worser this time. i face the vibrations right from braking at speeds as low as 60 kmph.

Please advise what shoud i do. My car was bought in Jan 2013.

Thanks in advance.
Sahil Verma
Old 10th November 2013, 19:06   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Helllo Supersport,

I have an august 2012 manufactured Rapid.
I have faced this problem at 7600kms, was very disappointed to have this vibration issue.

Came across your thread and reported to skoda, they within a day changed the rotors(both sides) under warranty.

Now, at 12000kms the same problem has resurfaced again and the symptoms are worser this time. i face the vibrations right from braking at speeds as low as 60 kmph.

Please advise what shoud i do. My car was bought in Jan 2013.

Thanks in advance.
Sahil Verma
Yes, the problem is recurring in some Rapids even after the rotors have been changed albeit after running an additional 8 - 10K kms. Skoda is yet to come out with a revised advisory on this issue. The problem, in my opinion, is due to the metallurgy in the rotors. The only solution at this point in time is to have the rotors changed again and since it has not been long since you have had it changed, this may be taken up under goodwill warranty. As advised in my earlier post, do not drive at speeds that will induce vibrations as that would harm your steering and other components.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 10th November 2013 at 19:08.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 01:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the problem is recurring in some Rapids even after the rotors have been changed albeit after running an additional 8 - 10K kms. Skoda is yet to come out with a revised advisory on this issue. The problem, in my opinion, is due to the metallurgy in the rotors. The only solution at this point in time is to have the rotors changed again and since it has not been long since you have had it changed, this may be taken up under goodwill warranty. As advised in my earlier post, do not drive at speeds that will induce vibrations as that would harm your steering and other components.
Can these Vibrations really cause problems in the steering linkages? and other components as you suggested.

And if that really happens, will they provide cosequential warranty on those parts.

As far as changing the Rotors is concerned, i got them changed once and again getting them changed (at my expense) will be plain ridiculous.

Which would probably mean to keep changing and spending 3-4k every 8-10k kms.

Are you facing any kinds of problems with the brakes as well?

Thanks in advance.

Sahil Verma
Old 30th November 2013, 07:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so I finally went to Tafe Access service center over the weekend. The sales guy inspected and found no damage on rotor. And since my wobbling was not related to braking, he ruled out the skoda advisory for brakes. They were not able to identify the problem and said everything was ok. So finally I decided to go to wheel balancing center, even though i have done one around 3k km back. On inspecting the wheel, the owner of the center said that this has nothing to do with balancing and not to waste money on it. The issue is because I have installed a "spacer" between my alloy wheels and inside component so that it does not touch each other. He said there is something called a resonance level and at a particular band (in my case from 80-100 kmph) the vibration is visible. After 100 it goes away and below 80 it does not come. I think I am agreeing to this.

Last edited by kiranknair : 30th November 2013 at 07:35. Reason: rephrasing
kiranknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 11:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so I finally went to Tafe Access service center over the weekend. The sales guy inspected and found no damage on rotor. And since my wobbling was not related to braking, he ruled out the skoda advisory for brakes. They were not able to identify the problem and said everything was ok. So finally I decided to go to wheel balancing center, even though i have done one around 3k km back. On inspecting the wheel, the owner of the center said that this has nothing to do with balancing and not to waste money on it. The issue is because I have installed a "spacer" between my alloy wheels and inside component so that it does not touch each other. He said there is something called a resonance level and at a particular band (in my case from 80-100 kmph) the vibration is visible. After 100 it goes away and below 80 it does not come. I think I am agreeing to this.
I agree.
But i dont recollect putting any spacer when I installed the alloys
Old 11th March 2014, 18:56   #28
BHPian

Hey guys,

My car has now run 24,475 kms. First set of discs changed at 13000 kms under goodwill, I had to pay for the pads.

Same problem has cropped up again over the last 1000 kms. Gave the car for service today morning and I get a call saying the brake discs need to be changed!

I have asked them change it but to give it to me in writing that this is normal for their cars!
We shall see how they respond.

Mild braking at speeds above 60 will result in shuddering.

I agree with VeyronSuperSprt that they seem to have used inferior materials / heat treatment to make the disc otherwise the problem would not be so easily repeatable with both Rapid and Vento ( skimming the discs at every service) owners.

I am also asking them to raise a query to Skoda India through their warranty claim system to see if anything can be done! Will keep you guys updated!

Cheers,
Old 11th March 2014, 20:49   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post

My car has now run 24,475 kms. First set of discs changed at 13000 kms under goodwill, I had to pay for the pads.

Same problem has cropped up again over the last 1000 kms. Gave the car for service today morning and I get a call saying the brake discs need to be changed!
Have had my rotors and pads changed at around 11,000 kms for the first time and for the second time at 37,000 kms. Have been fortunate enough to have the rotors and pads changed for the second time also under goodwill warranty. (Use the tips on escalation that I've mentioned in another article to make it work for you too).

If you are changing the rotors, then it would be advisable to change the pads too as the edges of the pads chip off on account of the judder. Additionally the wear pattern would be different and if you are paying for the pads, it would be good to replace the pads too (Rs.1800 for a set of 4).

The new pads are made by a different vendor and the finish is far superior to the old ones. Going forward have the brakes dried up after a wash by driving it for a short distance and applying the brakes gently so rust doesn't set in. If you cannot do this, then be careful when you drive off in the morning and gently apply brakes to remove the rust that accumulates on the rotors before applying sudden brakes. This will avoid the uneven wear and the resultant judder that slowly starts creeping in.
Old 11th March 2014, 21:40   #30
BHPian

Thanks, will look up the advice on escalating. Yeah I plan to change pads also. I have the first set that I replaced but think will get all new ones as the cost isn't high.

Most discs have this rusting problem, but not the juddering.

Also was re reading your first post about warming up the brakes before using them abruptly.

Will keep you guys updated but this is definitely a design/manufacturing defect so all us customers should push for a solution!

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks