Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 19:42   #1
BANNED

Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes

Skoda has issued the attached advisory on the brakes of the Rapid (soft copy expected but posting pics of the relevant pages meanwhile). Rapid owners with particular VIN numbers are expected to face the problem of juddering (steering wheel vibrating while braking at speed along with pulsing of the brake pedal) after a certain period of usage.

The causes that lead to the situation and the remedies suggested by Skoda are indicated in therein. In the Rapid, situations that usually lead to this juddering are high speed driving and the resultant need for forceful braking before the brakes warm up. Skoda suggests replacement of brake pads and rotors under warranty when this problem occurs.

Please be advised that if you face the problem you would need to make the necessary warranty claim within 6 months or 10,000 kms whichever comes earlier. Skoda has been gracious enough to replace my rotors and brake pads although I have done 11,400 kms.

Those of you who have a Rapid may check whether your VIN number qualifies for replacement. I would think that Vento owners may also face a similar concern and they could check whether there is a similar advisory.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes-img_0587.jpg  

Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes-img_0589.jpg  

Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes-img_0591.jpg  

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 19th September 2012 at 19:50.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 23:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes

Thanks for posting this, much appreciated

I had a query, tried searching for your Rapid thread but since you havent created one till now, can you tell me which month was your car manufactured?
My friend's Rapid is March, 2012 and was just curious if as if yours too is march manufactured, then will buzz him so that he gives a call to his service centre and ask whether his VIN falls in the replacement tab.

Will call VW ASC tomorrow for my Vento, mine is May,2012.

Kryptonite had a similar issue with his Rapid and i think his rotors were replaced FOC but he paid for pads, yet to see any Vento owner report anything but since both cars share parts, am anticipating a circular like this for Vento too.
Old 20th September 2012, 08:04   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
You're welcome mate. Happy to help.

Quote:
I had a query, tried searching for your Rapid thread but since you havent created one till now,
SSSSH! not so loud please. It's on the way I assure you.

Quote:
can you tell me which month was your car manufactured?
March 2012

Quote:
My friend's Rapid is March, 2012 and was just curious if as if yours too is march manufactured, then will buzz him so that he gives a call to his service centre and ask whether his VIN falls in the replacement tab.
Check with your friend whether he has juddering as replacement is really required only if there is juddering. It is not just the VIN number but the existence of juddering too.

Quote:
Surprisingly, even the Skoda A.S.S.'s do not know about the existence of this advisory and I had to get it out so that they could be informed about it.

Quote:
Kryptonite had a similar issue with his Rapid and i think his rotors were replaced FOC but he paid for pads, yet to see any Vento owner report anything but since both cars share parts, am anticipating a circular like this for Vento too.
Yup, I had read his report on the brake judder issue.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 18:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

Surprisingly, even the Skoda A.S.S.'s do not know about the existence of this advisory and I had to get it out so that they could be informed about it.

Yup, I had read his report on the brake judder issue.
Hi, I am also facing same issue as mentioned above. Took the car to service center but they are not aware of this advisory. My car manufacture month is March2012. Contacted Skoda customer care even they are not aware of this. Not sure where to go. Service adviser is saying I have to pay for new brake pads.

Last edited by kalpurja : 25th September 2012 at 18:40.
Old 25th September 2012, 19:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
Not sure where to go. Service adviser is saying I have to pay for new brake pads.
I think you should take a print out of the advisory Veyron has posted and paste it on your service advisor's face, these people are so ignorant that you really cant do much.

Just send a strong mail to Skoda attaching the advisory, wait for their response and then show this to your service centre.
My friend's Rapid (New Delhi) is March, 2012 as well and we tested it on the highway for this issue, it didnt show anything. He went for the 6 month check up at Fahrenheit, Moti Nagar and they said if some one reports a problem like this and if it shows in their test drive, they will do the needful for sure, this issue is in a particular batch of cars.

You can try Fahrenheit if you want.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 25th September 2012 at 19:11.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 19:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:

I had a query, tried searching for your Rapid thread but since you havent created one till now, can you tell me which month was your car manufactured?

Hi Coolboy, Did your friend get any information from Service center? Even my car is March 2012.

Last edited by kalpurja : 25th September 2012 at 19:11.
Old 26th September 2012, 16:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Skoda has issued the attached advisory on the brakes of the Rapid (soft copy expected but posting pics of the relevant pages meanwhile). Rapid owners with particular VIN numbers are expected to face the problem of juddering (steering wheel vibrating while braking at speed along with pulsing of the brake pedal) after a certain period of usage.
Excellent info! Thanks for sharing. Explains the issue I had. Considering I'd completed 11500 kms, glad that Skoda did go ahead and replace my brake rotors under warranty, though I paid for the brake pads myself.

Any other advisories you're aware of?
Old 26th September 2012, 17:46   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Hi, I am also facing same issue as mentioned above. Took the car to service center but they are not aware of this advisory. My car manufacture month is March2012. Contacted Skoda customer care even they are not aware of this. Not sure where to go. Service adviser is saying I have to pay for new brake pads.
Speak to the Service Manager / CRM. If the response is the same as given by the SA, then resort to the escalation. Register the problem before the 6 months are up as you should be on the border line as far as the time limit is concerned. I don’t think you should have an issue with the replacement .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Excellent info! Thanks for sharing. Explains the issue I had. Considering I'd completed 11500 kms, glad that Skoda did go ahead and replace my brake rotors under warranty, though I paid for the brake pads myself.

You’re welcome mate! As of now there aren’t any other advisories and thankfully so as advisories indicate problem areas! Will let you know if anything does come up.
Old 13th October 2012, 13:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt
You’re welcome mate! As of now there aren’t any other advisories and thankfully so as advisories indicate problem areas! Will let you know if anything does come up.
There's a new advisory for the Rapid TDI that involves changing the engine mounts and clutch hose pipe. RedRapid updated this info on my thread. I believe few Vento owners are qualified for the same as well.

I spoke to my SA and he confirmed that it affects a particular batch of Rapids only... Apparently my car isn't affected by the issue (I don't hear excessive noise when the clutch is pressed, nor do I have any abnormal engine vibrations at any rpm)
kryptonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 13:57   #10
BANNED

Quote:
There's a new advisory for the Rapid TDI that involves changing the engine mounts and clutch hose pipe. RedRapid updated this info on my thread. I believe few Vento owners are qualified for the same as well.

I spoke to my SA and he confirmed that it affects a particular batch of Rapids only... Apparently my car isn't affected by the issue (I don't hear excessive noise when the clutch is pressed, nor do I have any abnormal engine vibrations at any rpm)
Yes mate, am attaching the advisory. This is more common with Vento's and Polo's than the Rapid. No separate advisory has been issued for Skoda.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical_Product_Information_2028100:1.pdf (124.3 KB, 875 views)
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
hi

@kalpurja
Thanks for guiding me to this thread. I see your car had a similar issue. it would be really helpful if you could share the details. how much had your car done when you noticed this issue and did skoda replace the parts under warranty? if not, what was the amount you had to shell out for the job?

@kryptonite
i see u have mentioned that your rotors were replaced FOC but you had to pay for the brake pads. what are rotors? is it the disc? how much u had to pay for the job? and why didnt they do the job under warranty?
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

@kryptonite
i see u have mentioned that your rotors were replaced FOC but you had to pay for the brake pads. what are rotors? is it the disc? how much u had to pay for the job? and why didnt they do the job under warranty?
Yes, rotors = discs.

Rotors and Pads fall under wear'n'tear items, and will be replaced under warranty for you (*ONLY* if you have this shuddering issue) as long as you're within the 10,000 kms mark. When I experienced the issue, my car had completed about 11,500 kms. Neverthless, Skoda did replace my rotors free under warranty without a fuss in good faith, I paid for the pads.

Link to my post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2865536
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

@kalpurja
Thanks for guiding me to this thread. I see your car had a similar issue. it would be really helpful if you could share the details. how much had your car done when you noticed this issue and did skoda replace the parts under warranty? if not, what was the amount you had to shell out for the job?

@kryptonite
well that time car odometer was around 6.5K and less than 6 months old. Skoda replace front disk under warranty. When I took the car to them firstly they denied to cover under warranty.They sent some reading to skoda for warranty claim. Skoda did approve as reading is under permissible limit for warranty claim. There is no change in rotors. Now there is no such problem after they replaced the disks.
I believe disks will be around Rs 2.5k. You can check kryptonite thread. He attached service price in his ownership thread.

Last edited by kalpurja : 22nd November 2012 at 12:52.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Has anyone faced this issue with a Polo? My Polo gives a khat khat sound when the brakes are applied along with mild vibration on the steering and the brake pedal. Even the passengers can feel this provided they are attentive. My Polo has done 11700kms and I am fearing whether these vibrations are increasing. At first I had thought it was the engine knocking mainly because the Polo is a 3 pot and vibrations were not felt always. Now no matter whats the speed I can feel these vibrations. Discs of my Polo doesn't feel smooth to touch as that of my Linea in comparison. Also there are some irregular dark marks on the disc. Will VW honour warranty for this? What if I leave this issue unattended??
Old 6th December 2012, 08:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Has anyone faced this issue with a Polo? My Polo gives a khat khat sound when the brakes are applied along with mild vibration on the steering and the brake pedal. Even the passengers can feel this provided they are attentive. My Polo has done 11700kms and I am fearing whether these vibrations are increasing. At first I had thought it was the engine knocking mainly because the Polo is a 3 pot and vibrations were not felt always. Now no matter whats the speed I can feel these vibrations. Discs of my Polo doesn't feel smooth to touch as that of my Linea in comparison. Also there are some irregular dark marks on the disc. Will VW honour warranty for this? What if I leave this issue unattended??
Your brake rotor is warped. The symptoms you mentioned confirm it. You have been riding hard & braking hard. However, even a single emergency stop can bring about such symptoms. You will need to get the rotoe skimmed, to remove the warpage. These are wear/tear items. VW will do nothing about it. If you leave this issue unattended, you will lose all effective braking & it will affect the life of other steering & suspension components.

Last edited by 1self : 6th December 2012 at 08:50.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks