Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 11:10   #76
jav
BHPian

@Abbas

I use a digital multimeter to check the voltage of the battery and a battery hydrometer to check the battery cells, both of these are not costly and are pretty accurate
Old 8th August 2009, 17:39   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Hey Guys !!!

Is there any way to check in a DIY way weather the batt is drained and has no other issues. And after you give it to charging, They generally take a whole day. So, when you go to take delivery, how do we confirm that its fully charged. Also, most of the time when we give it for charging, they generally say that the batt is gone and you need to replace it, so that they could get a bigger sale.

I got conned in the same way once in bhopal when i was driving from vizag to delhi. I bought a new batt just because the shop keeper told me i need to. When i cam eback to vizag and gave my old batt for charging, they said it was all fine, just needed a charge.

So, how do we save ourselves from getting conned? s there any simple method we can have a check ourselevs.
Not only will they con you that way, its quite possible that some of them even sabotage the battery when you give it for charging... so you would have to buy a new battery.

So best thing by far is to never give it in their hands... difficult if you really need to charge it and don't own a charger. So best thing by far is to do whatever possible to see that the batt is always charged well in the car itself.

To check the battery, what you could do is to use a digital multimeter and check the OCV after you remove the surface charge... or simply check after the battery has been unused for a day or so. As far as I remember the voltage should be close to 12.5 or 12.6 (assuming battery was fully charged the day before you checked it). Measuring the sp. gravity is supposed to be a better way of doing it, but more time consuming. For sealed batts checking the OCV is the only way to test.

Another way to test is to do a load test at the battery shop. Get it done right in front of you.
Old 9th August 2009, 16:05   #78
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Is there any way to check in a DIY way weather the batt is drained and has no other issues.
Abbas,

In addition to what Raccoon mentioned, you can use an electronic battery tester (available in some retails stores) that does not require a fully charged battery for accurate test results. Some electronic battery testers measure battery conductance to reveal battery condition. Sending a frequency signal through the battery reveals how much plate area is available to hold and deliver power. As a battery ages, its conductance declines. Shorts, opens and other cell defects also affect conductance, so measuring conductance gives an accurate indication of battery condition.

Many electronic battery testers also analyze the battery's CCA capacity, which can be used to estimate the battery's remaining service life.

Regardless of the test method or equipment used to conduct a battery test, make sure the battery is fully recharged before returning it to service. The alternator is designed to maintain a battery charge, not to recharge a dead battery. Overloading the charging system with a dead battery can tax it to the point of where it may damage the alternator.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 27th September 2011, 22:14   #79
NeO

Re: Battery Replacement...

my octy went kaput today morning,the battery died
i am getting a quote for exide matrix 74 din for 11,300 less 1000 for my old battery
should i go with this or amaron pro 574106064...
Old 28th September 2011, 11:39   #80
BHPian

Got a SF DIN-74 battery for Fabia last month, paid Rs.8500 (30 month replacement warranty)

AFAIK all old (prior to CRDI) Skoda Diesel cars use DIN-74 battery only
Old 8th October 2011, 12:20   #81
NeO

well got a exide matrix 74 din battery for 9300 INR after exchanging my old battery.
Old 9th October 2011, 10:02   #82
BHPian

i had my Santro car battery replaced with Amaron about 2 months earlier and also serviced. Yesterday, i was waiting in my car to pick up my parents and while waiting, i was playing music at very normal volume + blower(without AC) for my legs. Did this for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, when i tried to start the car, it just wouldn't start. Waited for 5 minutes and tried again. it still did not start. Finally had to push start the car.

After the push start, car felt unusually silent than usual. I did not realize that the car started when i tried to push start. After reaching home, tried to shut down and restart and it started normally.

Any ideas, what might be wrong here?
Old 9th October 2011, 10:33   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Have the starter motor checked.

And the blower pulls quite a bit of charge; avoid using it on battery.
Old 9th October 2011, 21:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After 20 minutes, when i tried to start the car, it just wouldn't start. Waited for 5 minutes and tried again. it still did not start. Finally had to push start the car.
The question is if the car is starting normally again on subsequent days after overnight stop. I had the same situation a month back with my 800. The battery (Exide Freedom) went blink. Got checked the distilled water and it was empty. My bad I thought it was a totally maintenance free battery but actually it was a semi maintenance one (you have to top up once in a while). So check up for the water level, then check for voltage at cold (before crank) to see the battery cells health.

So after the top up it worked normally for a couple of days and back to the same state, low voltage, would not crank the car. Got to know that the cells have given way and need to replace the batteries completely.

Got it replaced with HBL Ignite - IG 25-12 (R) - Fully sealed and maintenance free battery. Have been working perfectly since then ever after day in and day out.
Old 9th October 2011, 22:00   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i had my Santro car battery replaced with Amaron about 2 months earlier and also serviced. Yesterday, i was waiting in my car to pick up my parents and while waiting, i was playing music at very normal volume + blower(without AC) for my legs. Did this for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, when i tried to start the car, it just wouldn't start. Waited for 5 minutes and tried again. it still did not start. Finally had to push start the car.

After the push start, car felt unusually silent than usual. I did not realize that the car started when i tried to push start. After reaching home, tried to shut down and restart and it started normally.

Here's what you can do:

a) Have the battery charged by your dealer to 100% state of charge. Remember, a car's alternator is meant to maintain a battery not recharge a dead unit. You can overload your alternator's regulator if you attempt to do this.
b) Once fully charged, get it load tested. Yes, it may be only 2 months old but new batteries can fail. Any mass produced item will have some %age of items of low quality getting thru factory quality assurance. Not to worry, as it's new the battery will be under warranty and replaced should it be diagnosed as faulty.
c) Get your alternator and electricals checked.
d) Once your battery is upto speed - avoid running heavy electrical/electronic accessories especially the blower with the engine off.

Regards,
Old 10th October 2011, 00:12   #86
BHPian

thanks for the responses... this is an eye-opener for me. i always thought that the blower has very nominal power consumption and that my Audio setup would consume more power. But, yes, in any case the battery should have been able to handle this load for at least 20mins, the earlier exide OEM used to easily handle it and not cause starting problems.

I would get the battery checked. If something comes out- Good, else visit the Hyundai ASC.

@R2D2: How is the Load test done? can my battery dealer do it?
Old 10th October 2011, 00:18   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
My bad I thought it was a totally maintenance free battery but actually it was a semi maintenance one (you have to top up once in a while).
What's a semi-maintenance battery? I always thought there's the 0-maintenance one and the regular one where you can access the individual cells.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:00   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What's a semi-maintenance battery? I always thought there's the 0-maintenance one and the regular one.
The earlier battery had only one opening just to top up water and you could do pretty much nothing else. This was described as a semi maintenance free by my battery guy. Not sure if there is one such classification though.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:50   #89
BHPian

Hi,

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I own a Fabia TDI. Last week I was waiting for my parents to arrive at the train station and was listening to music. When I cranked the battery died, The clock was reset. I push started my car. It ran perfectly after that.

Now since the last two days my battery drains completely in the evening. No problems during day time drives. I took it to Skoda and they have ruled out the alternator and asked me replace the battery.

This is the first time in my ownership of over 4 cars that a battery has to be replaced within 2 years. I know this is possible but I doubt that something is draining my battery. Anyone else faced this concern?

Regards
RoS
Old 5th June 2014, 21:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Pulsar's Battery should be replaced or not

I have Pulsar 180 DTSi UG-3 (Feb 2007) that has run 32796kms.
I have replaced the battery in 2010 or 2011 (Dont remember) with Exide.

Now the battery is not getting charged during running since it is not taking load of starter. Everything else is working fine. So the battery needs replacement.

I want to know what if the bike is used without replacing the battery. i.e. with the old battery but using kick starter, is any harm to the charging mechanism and alternator (Since they will not cut off as the battery is not getting charged fully), etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks