Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2006, 21:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Battery Replacement...

Looks like my endless list of probs with the car is just goin on..The battery went blink y'day, no idea how and why. Gave it for recharging but the people at Skoda said one 'cell' is gone so i'd have to replace it. They said they'll give me Rs.300 for the current battery.

So right now, need a new, better and a reliable battery. Now one prob i did have with my old one is that, while driving and playin the music loud, the headlights just get 'dim' when the sub really works. This happens also to the speedo lights but isn't noticiable. So i think it would be better gettin a bit more powerful battery than the current one.

Could u guys give a few inputs fast, i'll have to get the batter tomorrow itself..
Old 26th April 2006, 21:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Now one prob i did have with my old one is that, while driving and playin the music loud, the headlights just get 'dim' when the sub really works. This happens also to the speedo lights but isn't noticiable.
So, I'm not the only one who's facing this problem...

From 4500+ member forum, somebody please address this issue.
Quote:
So i think it would be better gettin a bit more powerful battery than the current one.
I don't think that a bigger/powerful battery will solve this problem...problem/solution is somewhere else.
Old 26th April 2006, 21:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, i think a capacitor is need to sort the problem out. ICE experts should be able to clear it out...
Old 26th April 2006, 21:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

I thought Rudra's problem was solved sometime back when he bought another amp!
Old 26th April 2006, 22:22   #5
BHPian

Nothing Comes Close to Exide Freedom,However you may want to check Amaron or Standard Furukawa...!
300 is Just a little less the amount you will fetch in the Open market, All I can say is instead of the Skoda showroom, Visit a dealer directly and get the battery- You will get a good deal..!
Using a Higher Amp Battery than the one prescribed is dangerous and may cause electrical breakdowns...! Try at your own risk

regards

Kartik, I would suggest to have your alternator also looked at, just in case its faulty it might not be giving the right charge to your battery..! This might save your new battery a few extra years..!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2006 at 00:52.
Old 26th April 2006, 22:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Kartik, I would suggest to have your alternator also looked at, just in case its faulty it might not be giving the right charge to your battery..! This might save your new battery a few extra years..!
I'll do that...but besides, what other probs could the alternator cause?? Please explain, cuz i have no idea.

You really think it could go wrong. The thing is, there have been so many probs with the darn car lately that i'm gettin scared to keep it...
Old 26th April 2006, 22:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
The thing is, there have been so many probs with the darn car lately that i'm gettin scared to keep it...
I don't have any problem with my alternator...But the problem is still there.
Old 26th April 2006, 22:51   #8
BHPian

No kartik, An Alternator generally never has an issue...However a few years back I had got my Once upon a time UNO failing to start..So it turns out the battery was dead, I then got an AMARON..which was also failing..It turned out that the Alternator was not giving the right charge..!
So simply just ask the battery guy to use his Amp Meter- or Volt Meter and check how much is your alternator producing..that way you will know if there is anything wrong with it or not..! Touchwood, My lancer's is 5 Years old and the alternator is just doing fine...!
But take advice of the member's and get your system checked out that why lights are dimming, if possible rectify this at the earliest..It's generally not advised to take a risk with the electrical system...!

Let us know how it went and what battery you finally got
Old 26th April 2006, 23:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sure thanks a ton Wolfinstein..
And, do u think I should get Exide or Amaron?? Anything that will last longer without a hassel will do, no matter which brand
Old 26th April 2006, 23:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

One more thing. I doubt his service center guys. what if they had exchanged the battery? Last time his car had that ECu problem he was supposed to pay 1.8lac.

About the dimming problem... my old Santro had this problem but the newer one with a more powerful ICE setup dont have thsi problem.
1) Maybe its the way the thingys are wired/installed
2) Maybe they need a cap
Old 26th April 2006, 23:17   #11
BHPian

Kartik, Thats the way it works here I guess..Help Thy fellow Driver...!

Exide Freedom is by far the battery I have seen with almost no issues and longer service life compared with other brands..! Freedom is also the OEM of Lancer..!

Amaron- Like I said I have tried in my UNO-Was an alternator problem , But still was not very happy with it in eitherway..! Amaron is def by far a large choice of dealers as they get more margin on Amaron..aggresive advertising- There are Two Amarons in the Market- One is the Normal Amaron Battery and One is a Limited Edition Kartikeyan Sports Amaron Battery with some extended warranty.

Standard Furukawa- Is also a good choice- Unfortunately When my car had the battery change, I had some family emergency and Exide Freedom was not available at the Garage, So that's when SF came into my car and is still going strong after 1 and Half years..got it replaced in Dec'2004.

But its your choice really...You may get a kick out of 5 star or Dairy Milk..at the end they taste like chocolate and are yummy...!

regards
Old 27th April 2006, 11:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Got the battery replaced. Got Exide Freedon DIN 66 for Rs.4900 minus Rs.300 for my old battery.
Old 27th April 2006, 13:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

I dont see the need for a cap for most purposes.

Lets stat with the battery. A battery that can deliver 40A @ 14V or 45@ 12V = 550-560W.

assuming 10% for losses we have 500W.

assume 150W for headlights, and other lights and 20W for the HU we are left with 330-350W.

I have a Alpine 340 (55W x 4 @ 14V) and a home made 100W x 2 @14V and dont face any dimming of any lights in my Skoda. My wife has a Velocity and 470 n her car and has not problems either.

both systems have a power delivery of about 400W (all channels driven at fulll voliume) at 14V = about 28A this means that all lights, the HU etc are quite happy with 12-15A they get.

Rudra, I was under the impression that Sam had fixed your problem using a spare amp but I must be mistaken. Lights dimming is a current delivery problem. I would (a) check wiring (b) check battery. By wiring I mean all wiring including the ones that go to your headlights or HU. A current drain anywhere could be the cause.

I intend to upgrade to a slightly bigger woofer amp (PA275) in both cars. That would increase capabity maginally and will report if this marignal increase pushed my battery to the point where light dimming is noticed.
Old 27th April 2006, 13:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Navin, Rudra had 4 speakers AND a bass tube in bridged mode connected all to one amplifier. The end result was a very high current draw. I added a CS60.2 and bridged it to the sub. This reduced the load on that one amplifier and imroved the sound quality of the bass trememndously. Also reduced GREATLY the light dimming thing, but it's still there albeit very slight.

Let me also add that it's not like a HUGE dimming or anything, just that Rudra's a fussy sort of chap that cannot tolerate the slightest imperfection
Old 27th April 2006, 14:04   #15
BHPian

Kartik, Take my advice, In the last 5 years of my getting the car serviced, I have never left it alone..I always stand right next to it..however small or big the work is..Not that I don't trust my dealer..But I just want to be safe than sorry..Next time you plan a service, always do that when you have a day off or some hours to spare...! Money can corrupt even the purest minds...!
Look's like your dealer might be a wrong choice..See if you can manage to change your garage and service elsewhere...Otherwise the best thing is to be there...!
Good Luck with your new exide..Happy Amp-ing...!

regards

Most Viewed