Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2006, 10:46   #1
BHPian

Baleno power difference

Hi Friends,

I need a technical input regarding Baleno's power difference.

I heard the EURO-III version is 91bhp@6000 RPM , but the earlier version like the 2003 one is 94 bhp.
Is this true?
If it is what are reasons for reducing the power of the car, by EURO norms?

TIA

Regards,
Old 27th April 2006, 10:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is true and it is because of the euro3 emission norms.
Old 27th April 2006, 11:28   #3
BHPian

What is it about the EURO3 norms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
Yes it is true and it is because of the euro3 emission norms.
IS there a technical reason why the drop in BHP is?
Old 27th April 2006, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

All the Euro -3 cars from MUL have 32 bit ECU while the E2 ones had 16 bit ECU. So this could be the reason, although it makes me wonder that why would an ECU upgrade decrease power, may be some other changes.

Also Euro 3 are not just emission norms itsa complet norm for vehicles whihc include emission levels as well.
For example of inclusion of headlamp leveling device in all E3 cars. Also in E2 the inclusion of separate high mount stop lamp are as per the norms guidelines.
Old 27th April 2006, 15:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
All the Euro -3 cars from MUL have 32 bit ECU while the E2 ones had 16 bit ECU. So this could be the reason, although it makes me wonder that why would an ECU upgrade decrease power, may be some other changes.

Also Euro 3 are not just emission norms itsa complet norm for vehicles whihc include emission levels as well.
For example of inclusion of headlamp leveling device in all E3 cars. Also in E2 the inclusion of separate high mount stop lamp are as per the norms guidelines.
Euro 3 are indeed emissions norms and nothing more. Their Indian version, (based on Indian driving cycle) is known as Bharat Stage III. Euro-III was introduced in Europe in 2000. (Euro-II in 1996 and Euro-I in 1992). India went Bharat-III (only in NCR and select cities) from 1 April 2005. Europe went Euro-IV from 1st January, 2005.

Norms like headlamp levelling device and centre stop lamp at the rear have nothing to do with emission norms. They are laid down in the rules framed under the Motor Vehicles Act. These rules keep changing from time to time. Many more changes are in the offing.
Old 27th April 2006, 16:00   #6
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection

Norms like headlamp levelling device and centre stop lamp at the rear have nothing to do with emission norms. They are laid down in the rules framed under the Motor Vehicles Act. These rules keep changing from time to time. Many more changes are in the offing.
Er ... I thought all the above combined with Emission Norms are "Bharat Stage III" .....
Old 27th April 2006, 16:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
Hi Friends,

I need a technical input regarding Baleno's power difference.

I heard the EURO-III version is 91bhp@6000 RPM , but the earlier version like the 2003 one is 94 bhp.
Is this true?
If it is what are reasons for reducing the power of the car, by EURO norms?

TIA

Regards,
Maruti salesman told that 94 bhp is @ 6000 rpm and 91 bhp is @ 5500 rpm...so nothing has changed itseems.

www.marutibaleno.com mentions 91 bhp @ 5500 rpm

[so i am not sure where you got "91bhp@6000 RPM" from?]

just have a look at this page, at the top para he talks about 94 and then in the spec he talks about 91 [observe the rpm at which the power is measured]
http://www.iloveindia.com/cars/marut...ti-baleno.html

Last edited by venkatrx : 27th April 2006 at 16:13.
Old 27th April 2006, 16:23   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It is indeed true that the BHP figures of the Euro-III baleno have dropped down to 91 ps from 94 ps .. However the peak power is now produced at 500 rpms lesser at 5500 .. Same is the case with the torque as well i guess .. Peak torque is developed at 500 rpms lesser ..

However against the company claims of 91ps , the E-III balenos feel more like they are putting out nothing more than 80 horses at the wheel .. V1p3r's and monish's baleno the two E-II that i have driven move way faster .. And im sure just 3 bhp drop in power cant make that much of a difference ..

E-III cars have much better ECU's .. Its difficult to fool around with them .. We tried removing the revv limiter on a E-III ECU and the revv limiter started kicking in at 20 , 40 , 60 km/hr ... However given the right set of tools these E-III ECU's have a lot of potential ..

Also something that we found out was the E-III's have a EGR valve which is absent on the E-II's .. Also , the cat con has been moved closer to the manifold and thus acts as a major restriction to the flow of exhaust gases .. These are the resons for the power drop in the Euro-III balenos .. Also there are two more mufflers to muffle the sound by a long margin ..

To overcome this , pyscho has disconnected the EGR valve and also removed the cat con and installed a free flow on my baleno .. The end muffler growls like crazy at anything over 1600 rpms , thus my shifts have now got down to 1500 rpms and with all the engine mods im still getting a mileage of around 15 ... This along with a brilliant headwork has just transformed my car into the next level of performance nirvana ..
Old 27th April 2006, 17:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
However against the company claims of 91ps , the E-III balenos feel more like they are putting out nothing more than 80 horses at the wheel .. V1p3r's and monish's baleno the two E-II that i have driven move way faster .. And im sure just 3 bhp drop in power cant make that much of a difference ..
Wonder why popular feedback is that it is still feels quicker than the current crop of 100bhp cars .. are the other manufacturers overquoting their numbers ?
Old 27th April 2006, 17:21   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Wonder why popular feedback is that it is still feels quicker than the current crop of 100bhp cars .. are the other manufacturers overquoting their numbers ?
Could very well be true .. However , in the baleno E-III's its just that its been detuned to make it more FE .. The original bhp figures of 94 bhp can be easily achived by cracking the two problems mentioned in my previous post ..
Old 27th April 2006, 17:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

i wonder what a difference 3 bhp would make in the real world...
anyways a drop like that could easily be covered up by a k and n or a free flow...
Old 27th April 2006, 17:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

McLaren,

it is not 91 PS but 91 BHP (slightly more powerful). If the torque is produced at lower RPM, it should in fact perform better and not as 80hp car.

Are you saying that, due to E-III norms, the car is no more as powerful as it used to be? Samurai has E-III car, so he can comment as well.

Performance has been the USP of Baleno (along with brand name) and if Maruti strips it off, it will hamper sales. I would hate if this is true.
Old 27th April 2006, 17:53   #13
BHPian

AAAH...feels good i have 2000--2001 model...
Old 27th April 2006, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Have you noticed this from Maruti .... ?

When Bharat III Baleno was introduced, Maruti FAQ had this very enlightening
information (in fact it is still there in the Maruti Baleno site):

" Q: Will compliance to Bharat Stage III have any effect on the performance or
maintenance cost of the car ?

A: No "

In light of what we know now, does it not amount to spreading misinformation on
Maruti's part to sell cars ?
Old 27th April 2006, 18:29   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
McLaren, it is not 91 PS but 91 BHP (slightly more powerful). If the torque is produced at lower RPM, it should in fact perform better and not as 80hp car.Are you saying that, due to E-III norms, the car is no more as powerful as it used to be? Samurai has E-III car, so he can comment as well..Performance has been the USP of Baleno (along with brand name) and if Maruti strips it off, it will hamper sales. I would hate if this is true.
Thanks for correcting me RX , it is indeed bhp and not PS (too much confu with each manufacturer using a different term) .. Yes , the torque is produced at a lower rpm which certainly translates to better city driving but the car because of the restriction due to the cat con being moved closer doesnt revv quick enough .. That is the reason why it feels slow , specially once u drive a BS-II ..

Yes , i meant the BS -III cars arent as powerful as the BS- II's .. Performance has been the USP of the baleno , even the BS-III version is still capable of taking on the best in the segment in terms of performance and still keep ahead .. This drop in power is what psycho , monish and me noticed off lately and got down to eliminate this on my car .. Thought of reporting it here as well .. However the power might actually not be exactly down to 80 bhp like i quoted but certainly feels like .. But the car is certainly a tad slower than the BS-II's ..

Quote:
does it not amount to spreading misinformation on
Maruti's part to sell cars ?
Well , im not quite sure if maruti knows about this themselves .. We were testing a few cars for the drags redlining in each gear .. Thats when we figured out this difference .. Im sure with the change MUL would have expected a slight decrease but not to this extent , but i guess it wouldnt be easy for a common man to figure out unless one is into pure drag racing ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th April 2006 at 18:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks