Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 21:09   #1
BHPian

Engine Vibration & Rattling in VW Polo TDI 2012

Dear All

I bought new VW Polo TDI made in India on Jan 17, 2012. And from beginning I am facing a problem. When I do first start in the morning it will create loud noise and will vibrate a lot as if some nut-bolt is missing from the engine bed. In addition to it two icon will come up on instrument cluster. One coil type (fault in engine management system) and other for fault in catalytic converter.
I have taken it to workshop many times and they have even changed all the three fuel injectors replaced however my problem is still not solved yet. Also when I face this problem the rpm fluctuates and goes above 1400 rpm which used to be around 900 rpm when vehicle is running ok. I want to know what exactly is the problem?

I have written mails for highest authority to the level of CEOs, however didn't get any response. I feel like cheated after spending so much of my hard earned money.

Please help.

Rgds
Mukesh

NB: I have uiploaded the videos at

Neugal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 21:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Vibration & Rattling in VW Polo TDI 2012

Well, IIRC, there was some issue with Engine mounts of certain Polo/Vento. They had replaced the original mounts with new hydraulic mounts to the best of my knowledge.
There might be existing posts regarding the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2882459

Similarly, you can search more, there are many posts mentioning the same or having some more info regarding this problem.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 4th October 2012 at 22:00.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 21:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have they checked the ECU. That can explain the over revving. My cousin had an Ikon which over revved and for a couple of years they were unable to fix it despite doing a lot. Finally they replaced ECU and everything was perfect.

The vibration sounds like the engine mounts are slightly off
Old 4th October 2012, 21:44   #4
BHPian

OMG!! That engine vibrating looks scary!! And the racket is makes is unbelievable.

How long does this phenomenon last? And once you start driving/have driven for a bit, how does she run? Everything normal?
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 22:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dear Neugal,
I had this problem with the engine check light and catalytic converter check light flashing on my polo TDI too (bought in Feb 2012).
I did take it to the service center twice to get it resolved.
The service advisor told me that it was just some error codes that had to be reset.
Touch wood (and everything else), it hasn't shown up again.
But whatever be those errors flashing on your dash, that engine vibration (can i really call it vibration??) is outright scary!! Please add your youtube link on the VW facebook page.
I strongly think that your car's VIN falls under those cars which had faulty engine mounts.
Do keep us updated on the progress and i really hope, it gets fixed.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 4th October 2012 at 22:06.
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Looks like an engine mounting problem. That engine is shaking like crazy! Its abnormal to say the least. And I honestly dont know how the service centre guys thought replacing the fuel injectors could resolve the problem. Please insist on getting your car checked thoroughly.
Old 4th October 2012, 22:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey, you should get the engine mounts checked ASAP. It's vibrating like crazy, it's definitely abnormal. That's not the way an engine should vibrate. I see from the odometer that the car has done 10622 kms. Was it serviced in between for any reason? Let's hope these are the last of the troubles, do keep us updated on the findings.
Old 5th October 2012, 00:04   #8
BHPian

The car should be taken for a detailed diagnosis. The engine is not vibrating; its terribly shaking. Try to contact higher ups in VW and demand either for fast diagnosis and repairs or for a new car altogether. If they don't hear to this, go further for legal actions.

I could understand your pain and concern and hope you get what you deserve at earliest. Would be following this thread closely!

I guess the problem lies with faulty fuel supply due to some ECU or sensor problem. If there would be any problem with the engine mount, the RPM won't fluctuate and the engine would shake at any given RPM. I am no expert but these are just my inputs.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:04   #9
BHPian

Oh my God! That is seriously scary! And we talk about German build quality and what not. Plus its so surprising that none of the people you e-mailed to from VW have actually replied! That is simply unacceptable. I think serious action against VW should be taken. You should tell them that you are ready to go to consumer court if your problem is not fixed by them.

Its sends a chill down my spine to just imagine driving a car with such a loose engine! VW says it plans to become the number 1 car company by 2015. If they are giving such quality in an important market like India, God help them.

Really hope you get your car repaired as good as new as early as possible mate. Best of luck. Keep sending mails to the top bosses of VW India as well as VW International.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 5th October 2012 at 15:05.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:20   #10
BHPian

Dear Neugal,
The engine vibration at the cold start is more and unacceptable. This should be related to engine mountings. Please get the rubbers, dampers checked at the service station. The 'coil' icon is glow plug icon. Please monitor the glow plugs on the cylinders are working properly or not. Also I can see the Check Engine icon. The service people should have diagnosed these icons intimation as there are Trouble Codes for them when logged in the ECU. Did'nt they convey any trouble code after connecting their laptop? This seems serious.
Old 5th October 2012, 21:42   #11
BHPian

Dear All

I left the car at Motinagar Workshop and sent e-mail to Volkswagen CEO & Customer Care e-mail address as well. If they are not able to rectify this problem then I will be heading to National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission at their District forum at Janakpuri, C-Block. Keeping my fingers crossed again.

Thanks all.
Old 6th October 2012, 21:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

A power balance test should be done to eliminate the possibility of one cylinder underperforming.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th October 2012, 22:12   #13
BHPian

This is truly unfortunate. Hope VW will come up with a positive resolution at the earliest.
Please keep us updated on the events. Prospective VW Customers and existing customers would be eagerly viewing this,if VW is are hearing this please resolve this at the earliest, delayed help is more like denied help.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A power balance test should be done to eliminate the possibility of one cylinder underperforming.

Regards
Sutripta
To the best of my knowledge, this would give up CEL. Also there would be other major indicators like noticeable power lag, lack of pick up, more heat being generated, and even loss of efficiency. None of these are reported by thread starter.
Old 6th October 2012, 22:43   #15
BHPian

To the best of my knowledge your problem is not with the engine mounts. As you are also getting engine malfunction lights on the dash it indicates something wrong with the engine electronics. From your description I understand that the problem is not constant it comes and goes. So I doubt the problem is some loose connection the wiring loom of the various sensors simply because if a sensor or a electronic component fails it fails permenantly and the problem should persist.

Request your dealership to hool up the diagonstic equipment to your vehicle and check up the faulty circuit. Also request them to changew the entire wiring loom if they find any fault code.

Regards

Samir

Most Viewed