Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2006, 10:45   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded

On my recommendation, my brother has picked up an Innova Diesel. Though he is very happy with the car overall, the single din air-con is not sufficient during fully loaded highway trips. He didnt book the factory option of double air-con since the price differential between the versions was a bit too much.

Are there any after-market reliable options to fit the rear air-con in the Innova? Or do dealerships carry out the same? Can any Innova owners share their experience?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

GTO
Old 28th April 2006, 10:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

My friend's Innova also has single air con. When I enquired with the dealership of installing a split air con they said that the higher Innovas*(with split ac) have 2 compressors and it is difficult to retro fit the second compressor.

The qualis on the other hand had only one compressor and the split ac could be easily fitted as an aftermarket accessory.....
Old 28th April 2006, 11:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dont do this on the innova. Retrofitting a new compressor will not be done by any authorized dealership. You can get it done outside, and its possible that the person does a great job but you lose warranty. Its better to invest in heat blocking sunfilm(will cost around 12000rs) on all windows, not just the front one.
If you go for retrofitting just another blower, it wont help much and again your warranty may be void.
Old 28th April 2006, 12:02   #4
BHPian

We have Innova diesal (G2) which comes with standard single blower AC, but seeing the Delhi heat we asked our dealer to install an extra AC blower (which was offered as Toyota "recommended" accessory).

We were told that its an extra cooing coil on the same compressor, coz we also didn't want to have an extra compressor etc installed on our new engine.

That costed us 28K ...dealer price but you know how much dealer overcharges. This became clear when we went to our known accesory shop for regular accesory fittings (stereo,seat covers,films & side strip) & was shocked to know that same thing is available for 16K.

But the best part is when you get the same fitted from the dealer...he gives you warranty for 2 years & peace of mind

I am happy with my decision as I can trust Toyota more than my local accesory shop

cheers
Old 28th April 2006, 13:10   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spot on, Iknowthisguy! Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Did the authorised dealership have a ready price list for this? How much has the cooling and effectiveness improved?

Surprisingly, the Bombay dealership that he took delivery from is not willing to add the blower / coil.

GTO
Old 28th April 2006, 13:56   #6
BHPian

Yeah...dealer had the price list for the same. It was for 30K but somehow we managed to squeeze 2K discount on the price list.

There is no issue regarding cooling & effectiveness...recently we went to Simla over the long weekend & i bet there was uniform cooling throughout as nobody complained about cooling even from the last row. In city too its a boon as u can imagine Delhi heat at this point of time.

One more point...as the same was done by the dealer, they fitted exactly interior matching blower & without any fit & finish issues, you cant expect the same from the accessory shop

If this helps...
Dealer - Galaxy Toyota
Purchase Month - Jan'06

Cheers
Old 28th April 2006, 15:24   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton. Any inputs from Bombay members?

GTO
Old 28th April 2006, 19:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
My friend's Innova also has single air con. When I enquired with the dealership of installing a split air con they said that the higher Innovas*(with split ac) have 2 compressors and it is difficult to retro fit the second compressor.....
Are you sure of this. Usually its only 1 compressor (could be a bigger one)and they install a second evaporator coil in the back seat.
Old 28th April 2006, 21:05   #9
BHPian

Twin compressor?

I own a G3 and a G2 innova and for your information both have only one a/c compressor. The compressor on G3 is slightly bigger and has a second set of evaporator coil and blower near the last passenger seat. G2 has only dash mounted blower and evaporator. I had installed( from toyota dealer) the rear blower in G2 because of inadequate cooling at rear. The cooling in G2 is much more powerful and uniform compared to G3 because of very large air flow from the rear blower. I would personally recommend to go for rear blower instead of company fitted rear a/c system.
Old 28th April 2006, 21:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have never seen the second compressor myself the salesman told me about it....

So how much did the rear ac cost you sharad
Old 28th April 2006, 23:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for confirming sharad. I myself was surprised.

A good look at the service manual should tell you what parts you need. May also need to change out some of the trim panels to fit the back seat blower controls.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th April 2006 at 23:26.
Old 29th April 2006, 09:33   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton for the help, guys. We are getting the double air-con fitted in the next week.

GTO
Old 30th April 2006, 13:57   #13
BHPian

The rear blower was installed for 26K from Uttam Toyota, ghaziabad. Working fine till 20K kms. I suggest to get it fitted from dealer because you get 3 yrs warranty on a/c system. The warranty is void if u get it installed from any acc. shop.
Old 30th April 2006, 23:50   #14
BANNED

i have a qualis second model gsg8 model. i wanted to know if the ac in the back is a blower or a air con unit itself. this friend of mine fitted the blower thing in all his innovas. dont think its healthy to install another ac unit all togher is it now ?
Old 29th June 2009, 13:26   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some Innova owners PM'ed me asking for pictures of the install. Here goes:

1. Time to install : 1 - 2 days in Toyota after-sales (Shinrai @ Worli).

2. Cost : Rs. 30,000.

3. Effectiveness : Super! Rarely go above blower position "1".

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded-dsc01523.jpg

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded-dsc01524.jpg

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded-dsc01525.jpg

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded-dsc01528.jpg

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded-dsc01529.jpg

Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded-dsc01530.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks