Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 14:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR : Steering tilted to the right?

@mallumowgli..
You should carry out Balancing for vibrations issue.

As for checking the wheels are pointing straight or not-- Drive the car keeping the steering in such a way that the car goes straight. Then at that time, if your steering is not straight, you can get it corrected by removing the steering and refitting pointing straight. But before that check the alignment.
Old 11th October 2012, 16:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Drive the car keeping the steering in such a way that the car goes straight. Then at that time, if your steering is not straight, you can get it corrected by removing the steering and refitting pointing straight. But before that check the alignment.
This is the most common mistake every alignment shop makes. Removing the steering wheel while driving is outright risky!. Please do not try it.
Old 11th October 2012, 17:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
This is the most common mistake every alignment shop makes. Removing the steering wheel while driving is outright risky!. Please do not try it.
I think he meant remove the steering wheel and realign it when the car is parked. Anyway, you don't really need to remove the steering wheel. All alignment places I have seen first straighten out the wheel and then adjust the tyres so that they are straight
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 23:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush, PGanapathy got it right. I suggested to remove the steering wheel and realign it when the car is parked.

PGanapathy, at some alignment places, the practice which I mentioned above is still followed though it is incorrect one.
When you can straighten the steering wheel without removing it by carrying out alignment, why remove the steering wheel. It is more risky to remove the steering wheel at the cheaper alignment shops if the steering wheel has not been removed before. The steel disc (ring) which is used for Horn below the Steering Wheel can get damaged in this process.
Just my two cents.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:33   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless the centering is seriously off, there is no need to remove the steering for setting it up. Today's cars have a lot of electronics in the steering wheel which is better left untouched unless absolutely required.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
Today's cars have a lot of electronics in the steering wheel which is better left untouched unless absolutely required.
The ones with Audio Controls and/or Airbag should be carefully removed otherwise there is no problem removing the steering wheel.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:40   #37
BHPian

All,

I am glad to provide an update on this.

First - a small edit - the steering was tilting left, not right as I said previously.I hope these things are symmetrical, and so it doesnt invalidate any previous discussions!

I took the car to a decent looking local tyre shop over the weekend, and told them about the problem. When they took out the tyres for balancing, on closer inspection, the front left tyre had a patch which was completely worn out and had become very smooth. They said that this must be the reason for the tilting as well, and that it would not be very safe to continue to use that tyre. So, we put that tyre in reserve and the brand new stepney tyre on left front. Also switched the left back tyre (which was also fairly new) at the right front, and the two older tyres at the back.

They finished the wheel balancing and alignment, and after that the effect was almost magical - the car started gliding much more smoothly, with the steering also back to its original "feel". No drag in any particular direction, and much better turning at corners as well.

Lessons learnt:
1) Tyres are IMPORTANT! Dont ignore them.
2) If you suspect something wrong with the tyres, or an unusual steering action, it is best to get it checked right away.
3) Wheel balancing and alignment every year.

As to my dilemma of replacing these tyres with tubelss now or later, I think I will run these tyres for another year or two, but probably not 7 years as I was thinking! Could go for tubeless then so I would have used these for about 5-6 years and about 35,000 km. With two of these being almost new though, there is also the option of simply buying two new tube tyres, and continue for another 4-5 years. However, now I have a bit more time to think about this dilemma..

Thanks to all the BHPians for their advice and who got it absolutely spot-on with their comments - clevermax, audioholic, cawnpore ghost, Altocumulus, AbhishekB86, rajeev k, subratasenn, lsp, dhanushs, mayankjha1806, drsnt, NMS!
Old 15th October 2012, 13:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake View Post
So, we put that tyre in reserve and the brand new stepney tyre on left front. Also switched the left back tyre (which was also fairly new) at the right front, and the two older tyres at the back.
Tyre rotation at the recommended intervals is an absolute point to be adhered to though there will be opposition to it saying that the result would be ending with five bald tyres together. When the car and all the five tyres are new please do stick to this regimen.

Quote:
Lessons learnt:
Not every year but at every 5 to 6K kms. Fourth point is, periodical service and check up along with tyre rotation.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th October 2012 at 13:38.
Old 17th October 2012, 22:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake View Post
So, we put that tyre in reserve and the brand new stepney tyre on left front. Also switched the left back tyre (which was also fairly new) at the right front, and the two older tyres at the back.

They finished the wheel balancing and alignment, and after that the effect was almost magical - the car started gliding much more smoothly, with the steering also back to its original "feel".

Lessons learnt:
1) Tyres are IMPORTANT! Dont ignore them.
2) If you suspect something wrong with the tyres, or an unusual steering action, it is best to get it checked right away.

As to my dilemma of replacing these tyres with tubelss now or later, I think I will run these tyres for another year or two, but probably not 7 years as I was thinking!
  1. It is obvious from your description that you have NOT been doing 5-tyre rotation regularly. I'm sure your car's User Manual recommends tyre rotation every 5,000 km. You must do it regularly to ensure that all tyres wear out evenly and uniformly. And you must always do 5-tyre rotation (where all 5 tyres take turns in being the stepney) because there is no point in keeping a brand new (appearance and tread-thickness wise) as stepney because tyres deteriorate not just due to wear but also due to age. So your 5 year old 'virginal' stepney will not perform as well as a brand new tyre.
  2. IMHO, doing wheel alignment every 15,000 km is good enough unless, (A) you drove long distances over broken or rough roads; (B) you suffered some massive bumps; (C) there are some symptoms like car pulling to one side or uneven tyre wear; (D) some maintenance work was carried out on your suspension.
  3. As far as dynamic balancing is concerned, I think it is good enough to do it every 20,000 km unless, (A) you observe uneven or abnormal tyre wear; (B) a tyre is separated from the rim (say, for a puncture repair) and you are not sure whether it was put back in the original rim-tyre alignment; (C) a tyre runs flat for any distance; (D) you drive at speeds exceeding 100 kmph frequently; (E) you suffered some massive bumps.
  4. You can use your tyres for even 7-8 years if, (A) you always drive at low (not greater than approx 75 kmph) speeds; (B) tread depth is at least 1.5 mm; (C) there is no evidence of abnormal / non-uniform wear; (D) there is no bulging.

Last edited by debuda : 17th October 2012 at 22:45.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 13:18   #40
BHPian

debuda - thanks a lot for your detailed comments!

I plead guilty on the tyre rotation! As I said before, I was trusting MASS to take care of such routine steps in the regular services, but apparently they are not to be trusted fully. Will keep in mind going forward!

I drive over Mumbai roads, which i think is as broken as they get in the city nowadays..But will keep in mind your other points. I always HAVE TO drive much slower while in the city, but am not averse to speeding up to 100-120 on highways So maybe 8 years might be too optimistic for my tyres.. Guess will have to monitor regularly.
Old 19th October 2012, 01:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
  1. I'm sure your car's User Manual recommends tyre rotation every 5,000 km. You must do it regularly to ensure that all tyres wear out evenly and uniformly. And you must always do 5-tyre rotation (where all 5 tyres take turns in being the stepney) because there is no point in keeping a brand new (appearance and tread-thickness wise) as stepney because tyres deteriorate not just due to wear but also due to age. So your 5 year old 'virginal' stepney will not perform as well as a brand new tyre.
  2. IMHO, doing wheel alignment every 15,000 km is good enough unless, (A) you drove long distances over broken or rough roads; (B) you suffered some massive bumps; (C) there are some symptoms like car pulling to one side or uneven tyre wear; (D) some maintenance work was carried out on your suspension.
  3. As far as dynamic balancing is concerned, I think it is good enough to do it every 20,000 km unless, (A) you observe uneven or abnormal tyre wear; (B) a tyre is separated from the rim (say, for a puncture repair) and you are not sure whether it was put back in the original rim-tyre alignment; (C) a tyre runs flat for any distance; (D) you drive at speeds exceeding 100 kmph frequently; (E) you suffered some massive bumps.
Would like to clear some confusion (or adding to it maybe )

Debuda's points are generally valid for normal tyres, but with tubeless tyres things seem to have changed quite a bit. For example, my Toyota Liva manual recommends:
[*] Tyre rotation at 10,000 km not 5000 km. 5 tyre rotation method if you are having steel rims, but 4 tyre rotation if you are on alloys. Seems the fifth tyre will be left at peace throughout the lifetime of the vehicle if you are on alloys.
[*] Wheel alignment is suggested every 5000 km or 6 months, whichever is earlier, not 15,000 km.
[*]Dynamic balancing every 10,000 kms or 12 months, whichever is earlier not 20,000 km.

In effect it comes to like this:
Align your tyres every 5000 km or 6 months (whichever is earlier)
Align, balance and rotate (5 tyres for steel rims and 4 tyres for alloys) every 10,000 km or 12 months (whichever is earlier).

And yes, of course we need to align and balance if there is any repair work/overhaul done on suspensions and axles.

Last edited by subratasenn : 19th October 2012 at 01:01.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 22:14   #42
BHPian

Hello BHPians.

Our Wagonr is 8 months old and has done 5k kms. I'm also facing the same issue. If I keep the steering straight, the car tends to move towards the left. In order to confirm this, I've checked the steering alignment in our Stingray. But I could not feel the problem in our Stingray.

I started noting the steering misalignment in our Wagonr after checking for a puncture in the rear left tyre a month ago.

I'm going to check the wheel alignment tomorrow. Hoping to get the problem rectified soon.
Old 20th July 2019, 13:59   #43
BHPian

Got the wheel alignment and balancing done in our Wagonr and now, the car moves straight when the steering wheel is kept straight.

The total cost for the wheel alignment and balancing is Rs. 595/-
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti WagonR : Steering tilted to the right?-20190720_135242.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks