Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:32   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Hmmm now that so many ppl have tried this i'm gonna do it today

1. Engine oil change (separate and OT)

2. Get some acetone in noida ?!?!?

3. Make da Brew

4. WRite a report for tbhp

lol

come on anyone knows where to get acetone in NOIDA
arre yaar... isn't acetone the same thing that ladies use as nail-polish remover?! Was wondering whether that can be a substitute!

By the way, 1.5ml per liter for diesel is really very small quantity. How do you guys measurethe quantity?

Edit: finetuning, buddy... is there a stricture about the quality? I mean many chemicals sell in various purity forms... (5%vv and such). I mean, can I just walk into a chemical shop (I have no clue what is that and how they look! are those hardware and paint shops the ones?) and ask for any acetone?

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd May 2006 at 17:35.
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
arre yaar... isn't acetone the same thing that ladies use as nail-polish remover?! Was wondering whether that can be a substitute!

By the way, 1.5ml per liter for diesel is really very small quantity. How do you guys measurethe quantity?

Edit: finetuning, buddy... is there a stricture about the quality? I mean many chemicals sell in various purity forms... (5%vv and such). I mean, can I just walk into a chemical shop (I have no clue what is that and how they look! are those hardware and paint shops the ones?) and ask for any acetone?
hi zappo just walk into a medical shop and ask for pure acetone used for medicinal purposes and the rate will be around 22-25 bucks/1ooml
Old 23rd May 2006, 18:18   #63
BHPian

Edit: finetuning, buddy... is there a stricture about the quality? I mean many chemicals sell in various purity forms... (5%vv and such). I mean, can I just walk into a chemical shop (I have no clue what is that and how they look! are those hardware and paint shops the ones?) and ask for any acetone?[/quote]

Dear,

U can find acetone in any medicle shop...they sell in 100ml bottles....costing around 22.........reagent grade acetone is 100% pure sold at chemict shops........make sure to buy 100% pure only....as per research its advisable to use purest acetone.....

I know there are many ways to improve the octane rating like adding toluene in the ratio of 10% and more... but what about emissions?I think as a Nature loving citizen we must take care of exhaust pollution.I was attracted by this wonderful ACETONE by its performance a well as exhaust charecteristic.......so just add 2.5 ml per liter in petrol.....Acetone reduces pollution too.....

Enjoy.....
Old 23rd May 2006, 18:46   #64
BHPian

great find buddy, i had read abt this on the net some time ago, but i wasnt too sure whether is should try it or not.. Now i am definitely going to try it.. thnx mate

~cheers
-Ash
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:06   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

How Do you measure quantity, yaar, its like pouring a large peg of booze,
Jokes apart, you can get a syringe form a medical shop 50 ml, Take pepsi 500 ml bottle put around 100ml of petrol in it then with the syringe add the pre requisite quantity of Acetone into this bottle and create a pre mix. Then pour this bottle into the petrol tank.
Must share this with you all, when you are driving & switch the ac on there is hardly any reduction in power after adding acetone & no jerk from the engine.
Cheers Guys.
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:19   #66
rks
BANNED

finetuning,
The question asked by speedOmania was:
'also are you adding acetone to regular fuel or has anyone tried it with power , speed , etc. !!'
And you replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Also it can be added to any kind of petrol diesel....as ita a vapourising additive....it helps in total fuel burning............
Aren't you being very hasty in making this recommendation? At the very least one has to check what are the additives already present in Speed, Power, etc. before jumping to conclusions. How do you know that acetone has not already been added to these?

All I can say is: If it has been known for many years that adding acetone in such quantities is beneficial, why hasn't it become a standard procedure? This is exactly the kind of question posed by one of the experts in the following website posted earlier in this thread:

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html

There are many big companies with expert R&D teams doing research in this area as big bucks are involved. I would be very surprised if this simple procedure, if really benefiicial with no harmful long-term effects, would have been overlooked (according to an earlier post by finetuning, this procedure has already been known for over 25 years). I would conjecture that Speed, Power, and other premium fuels already contain similar additives that have come from years of testing and research. Maybe acetone has already been added to these, and maybe other additives as well that compensate for any harmful long-term effects of acetone? I personally would rather trust these (I use Speed for my Santro ZipDrive) than make experiments on my vehicle, given the sketchy data available so far on acetone. But then again, maybe I am not the adventurous type. Besides, I am told that some car manufacturers recommend NOT to use premium petrol in their vehicles (possibly due to harmful effects on their emission control systems?) and instead have their own recommended additives. Before even considering the use of acetone as additive, I would strongly recommend that the claims made be thoroughly checked and cross-checked with genuine experts AND with one's own car manufacturer.

The images I am getting in my mind right now are those of finetuning running for his life, with a lot of angry T-BHPians in hot pursuit. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong.
Regards, rks
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:41   #67

Santro Xing with Acetone

Hey Guys!

I along with Ajalphonso, had the pleasure of meeting Finetuning sometime ago....we tried the acetone funda in my esteem and later on with my bike....finally did the same with my santro xing.....The results were quite amazing.

Results were good, provided acetone was added only on when the tanks topped up...Till date ive recomended the use of acetone to 6 of my friends and they have been using the same without any screw-ups...

Regards,
NailBomb
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:09   #68
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Nailbomb tell me more bout the Santro Xing effects... i am planning to try to tom or day after once i get the acetone and the funnel with long pipe. Have already got the measuring beaker and all that jazz
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:15   #69
rks
BANNED

Does Louis LaPointe, seemingly the main proponent of acetone as fuel additive, or anybody else, have any research publications/patents on this idea? If there are no such publications/patents despite this idea being known for 25 years, then why not? Surely this idea is patentable and anybody who patented this idea would have become a billionaire by now? I suspect that iinformation on the additives in premium petrol like Speed, Power, etc. would be proprietary and not be revealed by the respective companies -- so no patents might have been taken on these. Hence getting hard reliable data from these companies will be very difficult. Maybe universities have done some open-domain research on this idea -- if so, valuable information maybe available in the research literature. Experts in this area would be the best people to contact, for they would have access to both patent and research literature.
Regards, rks
Old 24th May 2006, 13:07   #70
rks
BANNED

Upon googling with:
acetone "fuel additive"
I got the following VERY IMPORTANT, MUST READ link for would-be acetone users:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

This links has extensive information, reported from a neutral viewpoint. Be sure to read it fully, especially Sec. 1, titled "Cautions". Also hit the "discussions" tab at the top-- in one reported case mileage seemingly increased with the first trial and then *decreased* with the second trial!!! To be sure, there are a number of positive reports as well and many others find not much change after using acetone. Attached below is one skeptic's opinion (in the "discussions" tab of the above link), similar to what I have expressed earlier in this thread.
Regards, rks

RESPONSE: The burden of proof always rests with those that make a claim that something has produced an extraordinary affect. There have only been anecdotes, laced with pesudoscience, regarding increased mileage from the use of acetone. I’m not sure how long these claims for acetone have been around but I well remember hearing them for over 40 years now and feel confidant it goes back to at least WWII when there was fuel rationing. In all these years there hasn’t been one oil company, engine manufacturer, government or university, in the entire world, that hasn’t stumbled upon this? Don’t get me wrong, I, like everyone else, would be ecstatic if something ever came of it but, I’ve been waiting for something, other than anecdotes and pseudoscience, for decades while people have been trying it. Without fail, everyone I know that has used it (just my experience), gave up on it after some time. Point me towards a university study.
If it were to increase mileage by 10% to 30% as we hear, where would that energy come from? If acetone increased mileage by enabling the fuel to burn more completely, someone would be selling it as a surefire additive to easily pass the strict emissions test in CA. Wouldn't the EPA mandate it? Even if you could achieve complete oxidation of the fuel, wouldn’t it mean straight gasoline and diesel is burning so poorly that 10% to 30% of it is leaving the engine as unburned hydrocarbons to be able to account for the 15% to 30% mileage increases we hear about in both gas and diesel vehicles? As I recall, HC emissions are somewhere around 100 parts per million or so (pre cat) - I may be off on that as it’s from memory. Even if that number was grossly higher, that’s not going to provide the BTUs to get much of an increase in mileage.
Fuel mileage is greatly dependant upon the way we drive. If you are getting increased mileage, try having your spouse add the acetone without your knowledge and instruct them to sometimes add it and sometimes not add it and to keep records while you keep records of mileage. Compute the mileage by filling the tank all the way to the neck each time and record the odometer readings. Do not use a "Scangage" or anything other than a calculator. The computer readout of mileage in my new car (through the ECM) is always off - sometimes high and sometimes low.
Anytime Mr. Louis Lapointe would like to discuss the chemistry of this with me in a public forum, I’d be more than happy to do so. k12719@yahoo.com
Old 24th May 2006, 13:26   #71
rks
BANNED

Here is another skeptic's (apparently an expert's) opinion, obtained from the link given in the previous post (under Skeptics):

http://www.fuelsaving.info/acetone.htm

Again, would be acetone users would be well advised to read this. I now rest my case and wait for a response from finetuning.
Regards, rks
Old 24th May 2006, 14:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

@ECM did u finish ur 400 kms run ,what the result ? I will try this in my 2 wheeler .
Old 24th May 2006, 14:54   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Here is another skeptic's (apparently an expert's) opinion, obtained from the link given in the previous post (under Skeptics):

Again, would be acetone users would be well advised to read this. I now rest my case and wait for a response from finetuning.
Regards, rks
Dear rks,

Its indeed good that we must see other side of using acetone in such tiny amounts......but apart from all testing.....I think our five senses are enough to judge the performance of anything and that we lost in todays world hence we demand testing done by machines under sceintific conditions.....but let me tell u .....those testing are better in lab only....what we feel....what benefit we get is clearly most important rather then anything....its very difficult to find such improvement so easily hence its not at all acceptable to us.......now this is the human psychology.....if today someone tell drinking water itself is medicine....no one will beleive....

So I left this wonderful funda to users to try and comment....again those with conservative approach might find this difficult to digest but then result is the thing not to ignore......its also accepted that those with daring attitide might get attracted to such ideas.......so....in nutshell....trust ur wisdom ...direct experience....and ur five senses.......for any conclusion........

Enjoy...........
Old 24th May 2006, 15:03   #74
BHPian

After reading the pro-acetone and anti-acetone websites mentioned in this thread, took the brave decision: added about 25 ml of lab reagent grade acetone directly into the fuel tank using a funnel and tube. (Tank had about 25 litres of Shell normal petrol mixed with 12 ml of system G).
The engine has definitely become smoother now. Earlier the engine used to knock if the speed was less than 20 km/hr in the third gear, but now I can go down to 15 km/hr without knocking. This is a great advantage in Bangalore driving.
I am not sure how valid is the “better vapourization” theory of Louis LaPointe: some assumptions in his article are doubtful (like the higher “vibrational energy” of the acetone molecule). Acetone is a well known cleaning agent, so probably what it does is nothing more than cleaning the injector nozzle. The smoothness of the engine will be then due to a smooth supply of petrol through the injector, rather than that of better vapourization in the combustion chamber.
cheers
reji
Old 24th May 2006, 15:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks

Regards, rks
Dear rks,

Optimizing the resources is the key factor finding ACETONE.......I havent come across such simple thing in auto world....Its the outcome of improvising the combustion inside engine.......Also I do beleive what happens inside combustion chamber is such a big topic and beyond discussion as no one can claim anything but only can guess....there is no fullproof data available how does a fuel behaves inside combustion chamber...its for this reason only we test the running charecteristic of IC engine and not how fuel burns at different speeds ...I do beleive there is always scope of improvement in existing engines....I also found that there is tremendous scope of improving our old cars.....but only at the expense of more money.....most of our ppl cant afford to buy new cars....so improving the older one is the only option.....combustion in IC engine is not fully efficient is seen from the benefit we are getting.....

Even other premium fuels can perform better with this wonderful addition is the fact.....hence there is no point of discussing whats the content of all those fuels.......My only objective is to pass on the experience and encourage users to try and test......this is what we can not do alone hence such wonderful place.....

It requires a lot of time and energy to come to any conclusion......hence one must think....then try....feel the difference.....then comment.....

Enjoy........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks