Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2006, 12:02   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
For those who didn't get it, i was just being funny. I found absolutely no change when i added to Acetone (To the fuel for christ's sake)
Hey man,

What is your take on the DICOR? I have a 1998 4x4 Safari. And am planning to go in for a new diesel. Presently evaluating Endeavour, Tavera, Forester, Innova, X-Trail, Terracan, Tucson & DICOR.

Have shortlisted considering looks, performance, space, fuel economy and value for money the following:

Tavera, Innova, DICOR, Tucson, Terracan & Forester

Your inputs will be appreciated and so of others too..
Old 12th June 2006, 18:53   #122
BHPian

I added 2.34 ml of Acetone per liter in my Baleno after researching the thread and the article links on it. There is definitely a mild increase in power. The AC powers on with hardly any loss in power and the engine feels a lot smoother. It was immediately noticeable. Earlier on at a constant rev at 2000 rpm in second gear, if I toggled the AC I could get a knock in the engine due to loss in power. With the addition of Acetone, it seems to have disappeared.

Worth an experiment I feel...

Burjis
Old 12th June 2006, 22:10   #123
BHPian

Still waiting for someone to post if there is an increase in FE?
Old 12th June 2006, 23:04   #124
BHPian

Works in Diesel but not significantly on Petrol

I have used it on my cars one is a diesel and the other petrol and the other one runs on LPG. When using it at the recommended dosage in diesel there is a marked increase power and fuel effeciency. I never got more than 480km on a full tank of diesel but after adding acetone (I have tested over 3 tank fulls) I am able to run for about 540km before needing to go to the pump. This is an improvement which cannot be attributed to change in driving habits. I have also noted that increasing the dosage from the ideal of 1.5ml/litre to 2ml/litre the mileage went down and when I stopped using it it went back to the original 480km/full tank. In absolute terms with acetone mixed in the correct ratio I got 16.8km/litre and without it I am getting 15km/litre. Both figures with AC on all the time. This is an improvement that cannot be ignored. Also of importance is that I do not need to change gears as often and that alone could improve my fuel effeciency.

On my petrol car at the recommended dosage of 2.5ml/litre there is no perceptible difference in fuel effeciency but there is a definite improvement in smootheness of the engine.

I cannot say much for any improvement on the LPG vehicle because neither have I tried it and moreover I do not have the guts to try it on my fuel injected high powered hatchback which has not given me any trouble till now in the past three years and intend to keep it that way. Anyway it runs on petrol for warm ups only after which I shift to LPG.

The previous two cars are junk anyway so I had no qualms in trying out experiments on them and thankfully the diesel car is taking a liking to acetone like 30ml of red wine is to humans.

I would whole heartedly recommend it for old tech vehicles with old tech fuel pumps and/or carburettors and not for new generation common rail diesel engines or those with extremely fine nozzles for injecting fuel at high pressures. Till dual fuel petrol/ethanol engines are launched in India by FIAT I would dissuade any one from trying it out on their new generation Petrol vehicles. The FIAT Palio 1.8R is a dual fuel vehicle with 115-125 odd bhp which can take the acetone mix. Please do not pm me on the three cars I own for specific reasons I cannot disclose now.

Bye and wear your seatbelts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 12th June 2006 at 23:11.
Old 12th June 2006, 23:33   #125
Senior - BHPian

nice one doc; very informative

OT!could you post your comments on teh LPG kit; performance and maintanence in teh lpg thread.
Old 14th June 2006, 17:03   #126
BHPian

Dear drpullockaran,

Your observation is Excellent.Indeed u r getting the best benefit one can get using right amount of wonderful acetone.Infact u have tried in different proportion to best suit ur vehicle......any more amount of acetoone will not pass on mileage benefit...however one can get enhanced performance with more then required amount....so stick to 1.5 ml....

Acetone works with all types of IC engines using petrol or diesel.....its required amount is 2.5 ml per ltr of petrol & 1.5 ml per ltr of diesel......remember its a vapourizing additive....it help fuel butn better...complete....

Even with new vehicle I found good benefit...Content of fuel remains same 99.98% with tiny addition of 0.2% acetone....so not to worry about fuel injectors....crdi....it works inside combustion chamber improving combustion...I encourage u to try in tiny amount say 2ml...1.5 ml....1 ml...& there after try 3 ml...3.5 ml....per ltr of petrol...remember 3.5 ml is the upper limit of adding acetone........every vehicle is different...so one must find right proportion in full tank.......

Enjoy.........
Old 6th July 2006, 17:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Safari & FE

[SIZE=2]I recently did close to 3800 Kms - Gurgaon - Udaipur - Daman - Mumbai - Lonavala and back in my Safari (diesel) of 1998 vintage. Have been using acetone as an additive for quite sometime and apart from smooth purr, pickup etc. the FE with AC on in the city generally came to around 9 Kms/L.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]But on this long trip with AC on and the acetone being mixed in very correct ratio, I got 12 Kms/L throughout, except within Mumbai where I got 11.4 Kms/L.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Maybe this answers some queries about acetone & FE.[/SIZE]
Old 7th July 2006, 10:15   #128
BHPian

A great find.... kudos to finetuning! Though i havn't used it on my car yet, am desparately waiting for my next refuel !!!! But, one thing, that many of us have already pointed out, still bothers me.... if acetone is this effective and cheap..... why isn't it popular!?
Old 7th July 2006, 20:23   #129
BHPian

Dear dustdevil,

The only reason I find for non popularity of acetone till now is that it was used secretly by certain scientific minded people in their personal cars.....they spread it to their relatives & friends but the spread was less...so if we compare past time without internet...we definitely find the huge difference......good ideas...inventions....discoveries are no longer remaining secrets.....thanks to wonderful internet revolution.....

Enjoy......
Old 11th July 2006, 12:51   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Boy, when I added acetone to my Karizma, the headlights brightened, the brakes worked better and the paint actually gleamed!
Seriously however, I noticed Zilch on the engine front.
this reminds me of a thread where a member's car got more efficient after washing .
Old 11th July 2006, 16:06   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
[SIZE=2]I recently did close to 3800 Kms - Gurgaon - Udaipur - Daman - Mumbai - Lonavala and back in my Safari (diesel) of 1998 vintage. Have been using acetone as an additive for quite sometime and apart from smooth purr, pickup etc. the FE with AC on in the city generally came to around 9 Kms/L.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]But on this long trip with AC on and the acetone being mixed in very correct ratio, I got 12 Kms/L throughout, except within Mumbai where I got 11.4 Kms/L.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Maybe this answers some queries about acetone & FE.[/SIZE]
Hi gd1418,

Thats an excellent mileage figure.....especially in mumbai city with such huge vehicle....do keep using & get advantage of increased pickup & increased efficiency.I think those waiting for mileage figure can check this.I dont think there is any such product available at such a low cost having so many benefits & easily available everywhere....

Enjoy......
Old 11th July 2006, 16:24   #132
BHPian

Finetuning, I would like to try this. Do you recommend any specific brand of acetone? Where is it normally available? Thanks.
Old 11th July 2006, 17:19   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi
Finetuning, I would like to try this. Do you recommend any specific brand of acetone? Where is it normally available? Thanks.
Hi Bomi,

U can get reagent grade acetone(Purest) from any medicle/chemist shop.....ask for 100 ml pure acetone bottle....no specific brand....it will cost Rs 24 to 28.....
Also buy 5 ml disposable syringe for accurate measurement....add 2.5 ml per liter of petrol & 1.5 ml per liter of diesel....

Enjoy.......
Old 14th July 2006, 08:51   #134
Senior - BHPian

My vehicle doctor, who has a garage in Gurgaon and has an experience of 25 yrs, told me that Tata Motors claim only 10Km/L with AC for their Safaris/DICORS.

He said that 12Kms/L with AC on highway for Safari was very unusual. I have not yet let in the secret to him...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Hi gd1418,

Thats an excellent mileage figure.....especially in mumbai city with such huge vehicle....do keep using & get advantage of increased pickup & increased efficiency.I think those waiting for mileage figure can check this.I dont think there is any such product available at such a low cost having so many benefits & easily available everywhere....

Enjoy......
Old 14th July 2006, 21:30   #135
BHPian

I have been adding acetone for the past two months now & have observed this.
It works better with HP Power Than BPCL Speed.
2 ml per liter, cant comment on the change in FE but the drive is definetly better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks