Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 17:16   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Diesel filter needed every 10K kms for the i20 Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
For old Swifts, i.e. pre August 2011 models, I think only the element has to be replaced and not the whole cartridge. The cost for that is around Rs. 1,200. For new Swifts, the entire cartridge with the element has to be replaced. This post gives out the details on the same :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2877205
Thanks, I didn't know that. I was referring to my 2007 Swift D. The new price is indeed surprising, rather shocking.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

The frequency of filter change has increased mainly due to common rail diesel engines. The common rail pressure system is an expensive and sensitive piece of equipment that has limited tolerance to foreign particles and other impurities. Since the injectors output fuel at very high pressures, the quality of diesel entering the system is of high priority. Hence the expense is not related to any manufacturer per se, but the adoption of common rail diesel technology that has brought this. I reckon, the benefits of a common rail diesel far outweigh the cost of spares.
Old 16th October 2012, 18:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Buddy, the cost you have mentioned is only for the filter element and not the whole cartridge. Even i got it replaced for Rs.1,200 at my 20,000 Km service but I had to cajole and use techniques better not mentioned here to get the SA to replace the element. He said this is the last time he will do this as Maruti has strictly recommended that the entire cartridge be replaced for all new diesel Swifts.
Well I haven't said anything to SA when i left the car for service nor they informed me about information you posted . It must be service center where you gave your car is saying that maruti has insisted . There was no such information given to me and also i got my car serviced just a week back so there's nothing new which has been communicated .

Last edited by ampere : 13th May 2019 at 05:55. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:36   #34
BHPian

Hi All

Can anyone tell me how often the fuel filter of Ford TDCI need to be replaced.I never noticed this during my 54K kms of ownership of My Ford Ikon TDCi.

Often changed Oil filters ,but it costs very less .Approximately 350 Rs
Old 13th May 2019, 05:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

BUMP!
For Maruti ->

Is the fuel filter (part) included in PMS (Paid Motor Service) or should it be billed separately?

I have not noticed this part till date in my service bills.
Old 13th May 2019, 10:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
BUMP!
For Maruti ->

Is the fuel filter (part) included in PMS (Paid Motor Service) or should it be billed separately?

I have not noticed this part till date in my service bills.
Billed separately at-least in my case. Rather i have to request them to replace it, most of the time they just don't replace it or even mention it during service. Now i buy the spares and just ask them to replace it rather then wait for them to realize that it needs replacement.I prefer replacing it a bit earlier as keeping the fuel and air filter in prime health goes a long way in ensuring better engine performance and engine life.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 10:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Billed separately at-least in my case. Rather i have to request them to replace it, most of the time they just don't replace it or even mention it during service. Now i buy the spares and just ask them to replace it rather then wait for them to realize that it needs replacement.I prefer replacing it a bit earlier as keeping the fuel and air filter in prime health goes a long way in ensuring better engine performance and engine life.
Exactly same case with me, I own Swift D. During every paid service I have to force them to replace the fuel filter. The part is not that costly, however, the labor effort required to replace the fuel filter alone is higher than the complete regular paid service stuff.
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 11:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Exactly same case with me, I own Swift D. During every paid service I have to force them to replace the fuel filter. The part is not that costly, however, the labor effort required to replace the fuel filter alone is higher than the complete regular paid service stuff.
Very true, removing of the filter housing and then replacement of the inner cartridge and refitting to specific torque requires patience but is best done at authorized service station. I once replaced it at FNG, and the housing was not tightened enough which led to diesel leaking. The housing in particular locks with two clicks when it was re-tightened at MASS.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Although Hyundai's manual says to replace the fuel filter every 10,000 Km's, it's not really necessary to stick to this interval, you can wait even upto 30,000 Km interval if you trust your regular fuel pump.

However if you are one who does a lot of Highway travel and fuel up at unknown stations, then the 10k interval applies to you.

The fuel filter anyway now costs a bit lower than few years back. Now it is just 1,800 Rs compared to 2,500 Rs few years back.

However I am still wondering if it's cost effective to go with a brand such a Purolator which costs just 650 Rs. Purolator is a good International brand from what I can see online but such a low price makes me skeptical on it's quality in India.
Old 22nd April 2021, 18:25   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The fuel filter anyway now costs a bit lower than few years back. Now it is just 1,800 Rs compared to 2,500 Rs few years back.
I have been following 20,000 kms interval for the fuel filter as per the manual that I follow. Screenshot attached below:

Diesel filter needed every 10K kms for the i20 Diesel?-screenshot_20210422133418.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
However I am still wondering if it's cost effective to go with a brand such a Purolator which costs just 650 Rs. Purolator is a good International brand from what I can see online but such a low price makes me skeptical on it's quality in India.
Purolator may be OEM for many automobile manufacturers and does have a good reputation but I won't risk it when it comes to fuel-related since all the parts that are 'after' the filter are very costly and any issue in terms of filtration (or the lack of) will generate a hefty bill:
  • Injectors - 26,986 x 4 = 1,07,944
  • Fuel rail - ₹45,000
  • High pressure pump - ₹98,747

I'd get the OEM fuel filter at ₹1,800 and replace it.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks