Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 20:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Diesel filter needed every 10K kms for the i20 Diesel?

Was talking to my friend who runs an all-brand car-repair garage at Kerala. He got a customer today who wanted the diesel filter changed for his i20-CRDi. As per the customer, this part is to be changed every 10K kms and costs around Rs2500. When done at the dealership, the job ends up costing around 4K, including the labour charges.

So the customer got it done at the 1st 10K km at the dealership and considering the cost involved, he decided to get this done outside when the odo rolled over another 10K kms. It was not easy to procure the part outside and he had to try many shops before he was able to get the part. And when he visited the non-HASS garages, they were reluctant to fit it, since apparently this is not a simple replacement - needs quite some work to get to the filter, including removing the ECU. A few mechanics did not even know where the part to be changed was located.

He comes to my friend's garage and my friend replaces it for him. Labour : Rs350.

So, my queries for i20 owners and others :

1) Does the i20 manual really say that this has to be changed every 10K kms ?

2) If so, why would a diesel-filter need replacement every 10K kms ? Apparently the HASS told him that this is critical and even if he forgets to replace engine oil, it is OK, but this part has to be replaced every 10K kms without fail. Else there could be issues.

He himself mentioned that as he neared the 10K mark, he finds the car sluggish, the usual pick-up is absent, overtaking becomes a chore etc.

3) Is the diesel-filter replaced at similar intervals for other new-age diesels like Swift / Indica / Etios etc ?

4) Why does this filter cost so high ? I mean 2500 seems like a big amount for what essentially is a fuel-filter. Is this the cost for filters for other brand diesel cars too ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th October 2012 at 20:42.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 21:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Diesel filter needed every 10K kms for the i20 Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
3) Is the diesel-filter replaced at similar intervals for other new-age diesels like Swift / Indica / Etios etc ?

4) Why does this filter cost so high ? I mean 2500 seems like a big amount for what essentially is a fuel-filter. Is this the cost for filters for other brand diesel cars too ?
Recommended every 15,000 kms for FIAT Multijet, and part costs Rs 1834/- at TASS.

Over a period of 50000 kms - i20 would require Rs 20000/- just for the fuel filter, while for Multijet engines - it would be around 5500/-. Huge difference IMO.

I guess Maruti + TATA should be having 10k kms interval as well. But i suspect filter costs will be even lower than FIAT.
Old 12th October 2012, 21:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fuel filters in Common rail engines are expensive.
One for Linea MJD costs around 2k,and needs to be replaced at every service after 15k kms.
Old 12th October 2012, 21:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno

4) Why does this filter cost so high ?
HASS recommendeds changing it every 10K km.

It costs 1700. 6 months back it was 750. They increased it by 1000 last month.

I got my 1st paid service done last month and the total bill was around 5900.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 12th October 2012 at 21:35.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 23:24   #5
BHPian

For old swift diesel filter is replaced at 20k intervals. I believe it costs around 1.5k
Old 12th October 2012, 23:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes its the same for all hyundai crdis
Quote:
2) If so, why would a diesel-filter need replacement every 10K kms ? Apparently the HASS told him that this is critical and even if he forgets to replace engine oil, it is OK, but this part has to be replaced every 10K kms without fail. Else there could be issues.
Depends on the fuel quality. If someone is filling from a good fuel station regularly then you can stretch the interval to 20k kms.

Sluggishness may be due to a choked air filter.
Quote:
Yes 10k or 15k kms.
Quote:
MADE in Korea and Hyundai now seem to be competing with Skoda in terms of service costs.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 23:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
MADE in Korea and Hyundai now seem to be competing with Skoda in terms of service costs.
Filters for Skoda/VW 2.0 CRDI are cheaper

A friend paid 1,27,000 bucks for Sonata Embera CRDi's clutch plate(invoice available on request).
Old 13th October 2012, 00:44   #8
BHPian

Well, Etios and Liva diesel also need fuel filter replacement at 10K km. Toyota's "smile", costing Rs 1800/- (which can be taken at the beginning of taking delivery of the car, renewable every year) takes care of fuel filter, 3.5 litre of engine oil, free service and wash. That way Toyota is way cheaper to maintain I must say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

A friend paid 1,27,000 bucks for Sonata Embera CRDi's clutch plate(invoice available on request).
Well, Skoda adequately compensates a cheaper fuel fllter with their clutch plate pricing.

Skoda and Hyundai are crazy or what?
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 08:28   #9
BHPian

Its a fact that Hyundai recommends fuel filter replacement every 10k kms and it costs a bomb, but I can tell u from my experience that one can strech the interval to 30k kms or more. I have a friend at Hyundai service and every time I give my car for service at 10k intervals he inspects the fuel filter and if its still ok he does not replace the same. I have changed the fuel filter once in 30k kms and I have had no problems till date.

However the air filter needs to be changed every 10k kms and should be cleaned in between as often as possible to ensure good airflow which affects fuel economy. The air filter cost is low and can be changed every 10k kms.
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 10:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

TATA's had earlier come out with guideline of 30K Km's(2 years) for Diesel fuel filter for CRDI engines, change costing around 2200 then. Then they changed it to 15K Km's and the costing changed to apprx 17xx.00 now.

Diesel fuel filters are supposed to filter upto 2 microns of particle matter in the diesel but as long as you fill from good outlets I dont/ didnt see any problems with 30k Kms also.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 11:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:

VW Polo - The King of Costly maintenance in hatch back segment, costs comparatively less, During the last service of Polo TDi (30K Kms) Following cost I incurred for fuel filter

Diesel Fuel Filter Removed and Reinstalled - Rs 67.41
Diesel Fuel Filter - Rs. 1296.53

Can you please post a scanned copy of the bill so that it will clear our ignorance on i20 maintenance cost.

Last edited by rahulrajeev : 13th October 2012 at 11:07. Reason: text edit
rahulrajeev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 11:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

I am completely ignorant about the luxury segment vehicle so please indulge my ignorance.

Does this price , for the Sonata Embera clutch, go into the territory of the teutonic three or is it lower than the prices of a similar part for these 3?
Old 13th October 2012, 11:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the fuel filter cost is indeed 1750 rupees. But if you getting it replaced during the periodic service, the labour should not be charged extra. I got mine changed at 25k kms and no labour charges included. Will scan a copy of the bill and post it here if needed

If you do a lot of filling up on highway pumps then its adviced to change it every 10k . Otherwise its possible to stretch it till 15k.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 11:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think the indica dicor fuel filter is in the 3.xx K range (and that's just the filter alone). Though tata doesn't require that they be changed so often, most owners have experienced similar problems which were cured when the filters were replaced
Old 13th October 2012, 13:21   #15
BHPian

I have given my Crdi i20(fluidic) for second free service today. The odo reads 9200 kms. The service guy has told me that fuel filter change is required every 10k kms for diesel cars and for petrol cars it is for every 30k kms. The price quoted was Rs 2000. I have given a go ahead since it was my first service with oil change. I may not consider changing it before 30k kms the next time.

Shall update about the final bill once I get the car back after service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks