Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2016, 15:50   #31
OSH
BHPian

Re: Diesel PUC - change in procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
With the engine running, she then asked me to open the car's bonnet and proceeded to connect two leads to the battery.

Then she asked me to rev the engine at least 5 time.
Can someone please explain the reason why leads were connected to the battery.What are the parameters checked by doing this ?
Old 7th May 2016, 17:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Can someone please explain the reason why leads were connected to the battery.What are the parameters checked by doing this ?
Check out a related thread on tbhp. Apparently it is for powering the PUC unit.

Interestingly the same thread talks about the differences in PUC testing for diesel cars since 2008. For the last 8 years of diesel car ownership this is the first time, the standard procedure has been used in the test center I frequent. And the temp sensor was never used. Wonder what the heck they had been recording for my 6 year old Swift in the past.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 7th May 2016 at 17:07.
Old 7th May 2016, 17:30   #33
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
For the last 8 years of diesel car ownership this is the first time, the standard procedure has been used in the test center I frequent. And the temp sensor was never used. Wonder what the heck they had been recording for my 6 year old Swift in the past.
I agree,when I owned a Indica Vista Quadrajet(about a year back)they used to test the PUC by simply inserting the probe into the exhaust pipe and revving up the engine,but at that time I did not know that it was the wrong procedure.I just wanted my car to clear the test.

As you have already mentioned,the government may have become strict in these tests due to the Volkswagen emissions scandal.Now only time will tell how long the correct procedure will be followed by our PUC centres.
Old 7th May 2016, 18:38   #34
BHPian

Re: Diesel PUC: At full throttle?!

PUC In Trivandrum

3-4 years ago :
Attendant : RC book please
Me : ( Hands it over)
Attendant : It is required that the engine should be revved
Me : Sure.

Attendant takes readings and Print out of the PUC certificate is given.

Now( in most places in TVM)

Attendant : RC book please
Me : ( Hands it over)
Attendant : It is required that the engine should be running.
Me : Sure

And he takes the reading and hands me the PUC Certificate.

This leniency at the cost of polluting our nature resulted from numerous cars (diesel cabs mainly) failing the test and inorder to keep their business running they try their best to make a vehicle pass the test. PUC tests here is a joke. For many it is just for the sake of not getting fined and the KSRTC buses exhausts resemble the PSLVs.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 23:59   #35
BHPian

This July when I went for the PUC of my diesel Micra, the attendant attached two wires to the terminals of the battery.He didn't put anything into the tail pipe. Then he started revving the car to 4000+ rpm from the idle speed. A lot of smoke was coming out and he did it several times.
While he was filling up my certificate, I went to the room to provide him details of my car and saw him blatantly copying data from a previous record. When I enquired for the cost for the PUC , he said 120 and I asked him isn't it 100 to which he replied "Sir for diesel cars we take 20 rupees extra".
The way he was revving my car, I'm sure any diesel car would emit black smoke in such a condition.
Old 24th March 2017, 14:24   #36
BHPian

Recently i did PUC check for my diesel car, and the only thing done was to attach some probe/sensor to the oil filter. Then i was asked to rev up the engine a few times, and then magically the "required values" were obtained.
I am still puzzled what is the co relation between this procedure and the emission norms measured. Are these petrol bunks just generating the PUC certificates by entering some random values?
Old 1st April 2017, 16:41   #37
BHPian

Got the PUC certificate for my XUV done today in Bangalore. I had to get my details entered into the system when I saw that the operator was selecting pre BS IV in the vehicle details. Had to force him to put the correct "BS IV or later" option and pay more for it. The reluctance was because the "BS IV or later" option results in the PUC certificate valid for 1 year which meant lesser number of customers for the operator. Bhpians having BS IV spec vehicles, please ensure that the correct details are entered during the PUC renewal to get the benefit of 1 year validity
mtnrajdeep is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks