Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon : Drum Beating sound?

Hello Mates

Happy Durga Pooja to All

I own a FORD IKON TDCI 2009 Model. It is an awesome car and real VFM for me till this date . But I am facing some persisting niggles even after repeated visits to FORD service center across Kerala (Precisely Kairali ford ).

Brief description of the issue.

My car has a "drum beating" sound from the rear or front since it’s very difficult to pin point from where the sound comes from while driving. This is more audible with windows up and on bumpy and rough patches. Still it’s a mystery for the FORD service engineers across Kerala as where the exact issues lies and how to solve it. I am not sure whether they have diagnosed properly to check where the problem resides . On my last visit to FORD service center at Kerala it was conveyed to me that it is a known issue with FORD IKON and FIESTA which I was unaware of till now or never heard or read about this. However if this is a design/mechanical flow did the dealers address this to FORD yet to correct it for the future launches!

So what I did was I had contacted a local workshop guy who used to service my Father’s car at my native .He has checked it thoroughly by locking himself inside the boot and asked me to drive through rough patches to see from the sound hears exactly. This exercise has done countless times and finally he has narrowed down and told me the sound is not from rear but it is from front left side. He asked me to change the suspension bush and see it resolves the issue.

With this I have visited Kairali Ford yet again and asked them to replace the Front suspension bushes(Both Sides).Issue rectified for few days and it started all again. But this time it is less audible compared to previous instances. I don’t believe the suspension bush went bad again.

Have any one come across this issue in any of your FORD Vehicles. If so please let me what I need to check here for a solution.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2012 at 17:11. Reason: Keep discussion focussed on one issue only. Not a general thread
BinFord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford Ikon : Drum Beating sound?

Does this drum sound happen when the road is really bad OR over any minor undulation? I remember Ford recalling my iKON way back in 200x and then chopping the rear suspension rebound stopper a bit, to reduce sound from suspension.

Only suggestion is to first isolate the sound to one of the systems like suspension, steering or chassis. Otherwise very difficult to diagnose without checking the car in person.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:16   #3
BHPian

Hi Jaggu

Thanks for promoting this.

Yes, this is evident only on rough roads.Smooth roads it is fine.My question is how did it went off after replacing the suspension bushes?It last for a week or two before audiable again.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

If they have worked on suspension, they would have tightened in or lubricated it also and hence the sound disappeared for a while? just guessing. So chances are this sound is coming somewhere from the suspension. You will have to check each component of suspension to figure out. Right from bushes to bigger parts like the subframe, shocks etc.

What bushes did they replace? iKON does not have many such bushes that can be replaced?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Note from mod team note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Pasting from external font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks

Hello Mates

Happy Durga Pooja to All

My car has a "drum beating" sound from the rear or front since it’s very difficult to pin point from where the sound comes from while driving. This is more audible with windows up and on bumpy and rough patches. Still it’s a mystery for the FORD service engineers across Kerala as where the exact issues lies and how to solve it.
Have any one come across this issue in any of your FORD Vehicles. If so please let me what I need to check here for a solution.
Please check your silencer can at the back. The silencer setup on these ikons are not up to the mark and have issues like this. If this does not solve the noise then check your twist beam play. These are the main issues for ikons from the second half of the chassis.

Thank you
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 17:01   #6
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon : Drum Beating sound?

Hi Jaggu

On your query

What bushes did they replace? IKON does not have many such bushes that can be replaced?
__________________________________________________ _

They have replaced the front(both) Shock Mounting bushes.After this the sound vanished for few days before started again while driving through rough patches.
Old 29th October 2012, 19:48   #7
BHPian

Sound is more audible from last week. I drove around 500 kms on last week mostly through rough patches and pot holes(since the road condition was bad).

Now it is narrowed down from front left as I can distinguish from the sound comes when it moves over a pot hole or hump.

Want to check the front suspension again. Any suggestions please as what and all need to check when I go to Ford ***
Old 29th October 2012, 22:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Sound is more audible from last week. I drove around 500 kms on last week mostly through rough patches and pot holes(since the road condition was bad).

Now it is narrowed down from front left as I can distinguish from the sound comes when it moves over a pot hole or hump.

Want to check the front suspension again. Any suggestions please as what and all need to check when I go to Ford ***

Front left - check all bushes and strut mounting. Also check for spring placement. Also stabilizer arm bushes. I think your tires may be over inflated.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Front left - check all bushes and strut mounting. Also check for spring placement. Also stabilizer arm bushes. I think your tires may be over inflated.
Thanks Catalyst,I will check this out.Meanwhile I have inflated the right tyre pressure 30 psi of Nitrogen on all tires.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:47   #10
BHPian

I have had similar issue on my SX4 and issue was found to be anti roll bar bushes. There was no fault or play in the bushes while doing the inspection but i inisisted to change them and issue was resolved. I am not sure of the suspension layout of Ikon but you could have this also checked. The bushes for Sx4 are cheap( 17 Rs per piece), i hope it would be the same with Ikon.
S5157 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 18:35   #11
BHPian

Thanks S5157

The difficult part is to make and convince FORD A.S.S here in Kerala. Actually issue was there for last one and half year and finally it was identified by my home town Maruti mechanic.

Then I asked them to change the front(both) Shock Mounting bushes and thereby it vanished for few weeks before audible again.

So does this cause major suspension over howl and labor with famous Ford A.S.S?

I do not want them to mint money from me by claiming high labor charges.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks S5157

The difficult part is to make and convince FORD A.S.S here in Kerala. Actually issue was there for last one and half year and finally it was identified by my home town Maruti mechanic.

Then I asked them to change the front(both) Shock Mounting bushes and thereby it vanished for few weeks before audible again.

So does this cause major suspension over howl and labor with famous Ford A.S.S?

I do not want them to mint money from me by claiming high labor charges.
Trick with Ford is to remain calm and get a buddy from inside. Experience with Ford from 3 different states. S5157 may be bang on , anti Roll bar bushes do make a heart wrenching loose metallic sound
Old 30th October 2012, 22:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Trick with Ford is to remain calm and get a buddy from inside. Experience with Ford from 3 different states. S5157 may be bang on , anti Roll bar bushes do make a heart wrenching loose metallic sound
Thanks Catalyst

I have few guys out here who deals well.Let me try.

Thanks S5157 for the valuable suggetsion as well.I will post the update after the visit to Ford A.S.S
Old 12th December 2012, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Dropped my IKON TDCI for 60000 KMS service at Kairali Ford Trivandrum in the morning. Mentioned all the checks suggested by "S5157" and "Catalyst”. Thanks to both of them.

Fingers crossed as it is always a pain to get a proper service back. Escalated to Ford 2 times already in past 1 and half year. Never had this issue when I was residing in Bangalore and did my service at Lathangi and Metro. Let’s see how it goes this time.

I don't want to be a "problem child" always but these guys never spare me from doing that after every service

Estimate for today-5800 . Asked to check the following

1.Drum beating sound reoccurs-check the following
-Anti-roll bushes and strut mounting. Also check for spring placement.
-Stabilizer arm bushes for wear and tear.
-If required replace the bushes.
2.Steering Column Play and Jerking sound when run over through pot holes and rough roads.
3.Engine Oil change.
4.Gear Shift bit rigid-Clutch replaced at 53000k at the same service Centre.
5.Break pad checkup for wear and tear-Replaced the brake pads at 25000K earlier.
6.Console vibration and all nuts and screws need to tighten. Inside and outside.
7.Engine Throttle body cleanup.
8.General Checkup as part of regular service.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I have had similar issue on my SX4 and issue was found to be anti roll bar bushes. There was no fault or play in the bushes while doing the inspection but i inisisted to change them and issue was resolved. I am not sure of the suspension layout of Ikon but you could have this also checked. The bushes for Sx4 are cheap( 17 Rs per piece), i hope it would be the same with Ikon.

Hi Catalyst_delhi and S5157

One quick query. I have given my FORD TDCI for 60000 Service. Now the SA called me and said Both front shocks and ball joint need to replace.I have asked them to check the things mentioned by you and S5157 earlier as the issue reoccured.

They gave a quote of 11000 including both.

Does this really cost this much?

3000 for each shocks(front) and remaining for Ball joints and steering accessories. Apart from this 5800 odd for 60000 Service.

I am really worried hearing this.

Any quick reply ?

Most Viewed