Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 14:41   #1
BANNED

Hyundai i20 ECU Trouble

I am having a Hyundai I20 (Asta) 2009 model, my car developed the ECM(Bosch) problem in late august.

PROBLEM IN CAR
The engine is taking the self but not starting.
Got Checked with two Service stations, both are saying that car has got ECM problem, all electric lines checked thoroughly.

HOW MY CAR GOT THE ECM PROBLEM

Because the I20 ECM is placed right behind the battery, so because of the acid, few pins of the ECM got plugged from it.

WHAT COMPANY IS SAYING
My car is with the DEEP hyundai(delhi) and they have given me the estimate of around 1,00,000(1 lakh),they are saying that besides ECM we also have to change Smatra(something like this), immobilizer and key set.

Guys please advice me what to do
Old 25th October 2012, 18:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai i20 ECU Trouble

Hyundai had started retrofitting "ECU Covers" on customer cars : Link. What is your car's year of manufacturer? Didn't the dealer ever offer to fit this protective rubber cover? Is your car still under warranty?

Since it's an acknowledged design defect, you should take it up strongly with Hyundai. Contact them directly. If you've got the car / battery regularly serviced at a Hyundai dealership, they're to blame for the acid leak. However, it could work against you if you haven't looked after your battery properly (still, doesn't absolve Hyundai of the design defect).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:36   #3
BANNED

Manufacturing year 2009 itself, and my car is now out of warranty.
i have also contacted hyundai customer care directly but they say that your car is out of warranty so they cant do anything.

and as ECU is considered, i am having some doubts which is nt even cleared by hyundai people. As the technician are saying that there is only ECU needs to be changed from my car and if car doesnt start they will change immobilizer, smatra and key set, which is confusing me.
As a technician of a hyundai he should not tell me if and buts.
thats why i am confused whether i should believe the company or not
Old 26th October 2012, 12:47   #4
BHPian

I am no expert on these ECU related issues. Just my experience:

I have replaced the ECU on my Indica V2 Petrol once. We have to get the similar spec ECU from other car and test it on our car before we actually plonk money to buy a new or 2nd hand one.

I was lucky to find a 2nd hand one (Electroextreme, Kurla-Mumbai, Mr. Devang Shah, +91-9702444000) and it worked till last month. Almost for over 2 years now. (Note: 2nd hands means these ECU's are picked up from totalled cars or accident cars that dont make back on the roads, usual practise for scrap)

Currently the car is again giving an ECU problem. There is no current flowing in from the ECU to the thermostat and hence the cooling fans (Indica has 2) dont start and the coolant boils out of the aux-tank. Again waiting for a 2nd hand replacement. (have checked and clarified the issue with 2 known electricians in Pune)

Meanwhile also evaluating someone in Nasik (home town) who repairs and has said that he can fix this problem. Will update if at all it works out.

Suggest you do the test with another car's ECU first and then take a call.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:39   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one
I am no expert on these ECU related issues. Just my experience:

I have replaced the ECU on my Indica V2 Petrol once. We have to get the similar spec ECU from other car and test it on our car before we actually plonk money to buy a new or 2nd hand one.

I was lucky to find a 2nd hand one (Electroextreme, Kurla-Mumbai, Mr. Devang Shah, +91-9702444000) and it worked till last month. Almost for over 2 years now. (Note: 2nd hands means these ECU's are picked up from totalled cars or accident cars that dont make back on the roads, usual practise for scrap)

Currently the car is again giving an ECU problem. There is no current flowing in from the ECU to the thermostat and hence the cooling fans (Indica has 2) dont start and the coolant boils out of the aux-tank. Again waiting for a 2nd hand replacement. (have checked and clarified the issue with 2 known electricians in Pune)

Meanwhile also evaluating someone in Nasik (home town) who repairs and has said that he can fix this problem. Will update if at all it works out.

Suggest you do the test with another car's ECU first and then take a call.

I have asked the same thing with the technician but they told me that the other car ECU wont help because every coding is different for different car, so it wont run
So the technicians are asking for neutral ECU as my previous ECU sotware is also corrupted and i am also in touch with the various ECU suppliers but none of them is able to supply me the neutral ECU.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Hello agg.arpit

I can share you person details here , he owns workshop for car servicing in east of kailash . Contact him because last time my uncle verna ECU got damaged , he arranged it for us at very less price . We are getting our cars serviced here since years .

PM me if you need my number if you need more info .

Here are the details of the shop :

Car Scan Centre

46, Ground Floor, Community Centre East of Kailash, New Delhi, DL 110065
Ph no : 011 26215555

Quote:
Originally Posted by agg.arpit View Post
I am having a Hyundai I20 (Asta) 2009 model, my car developed the ECM(Bosch) problem in late august.

PROBLEM IN CAR
The engine is taking the self but not starting.
Got Checked with two Service stations, both are saying that car has got ECM problem, all electric lines checked thoroughly.

HOW MY CAR GOT THE ECM PROBLEM

Because the I20 ECM is placed right behind the battery, so because of the acid, few pins of the ECM got plugged from it.

WHAT COMPANY IS SAYING
My car is with the DEEP hyundai(delhi) and they have given me the estimate of around 1,00,000(1 lakh),they are saying that besides ECM we also have to change Smatra(something like this), immobilizer and key set.

Guys please advice me what to do

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 26th October 2012 at 15:50.
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:34   #7
BHPian

ECM failure in 2010 Hyundai i20

I am facing a possible ECM failure in my 2010 i20 Sportz. Since the last couple of weeks I am facing an issue of fluctuating rpms on neutral and increasing rpms on clutch depress. Whenever I depress the clutch during traffic signals or while shifting gears, the rpm increases upto 3K and hovers around that mark. This behavior is not consistent and happens after driving a few kms.

Reading through the forums I suspected the IAC valve and was not much worried. But after visiting the service station, it was found that there's nothing wrong with the valve and any other mechanical component. They car runs fine when the ecm was temporarily replaced with another one from a test drive car. The car runs fine otherwise when in gear and i have even done an extended highway run without any issues.

I am now wondering whether to attempt repairs at unauthorized shops, getting a second hand ecm or getting an original Hyundai ecm (costliest option). The car has run just 20k kms in 4 years and i am not convinced that the ecm may fail in 4 years. Sadly my extended warranty expired just 4 months back and i don't have any other choice but to pay for this repair. Do we have any good reliable ecm repair outlet in Mumbai?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 31st October 2014, 13:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: ECM failure in 2010 Hyundai i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I am now wondering whether to attempt repairs at unauthorized shops, getting a second hand ecm or getting an original Hyundai ecm (costliest option). The car has run just 20k kms in 4 years and i am not convinced that the ecm may fail in 4 years. Sadly my extended warranty expired just 4 months back and i don't have any other choice but to pay for this repair. Do we have any good reliable ecm repair outlet in Mumbai?

Any advice would be appreciated.
You say you are not convinced that the ecm has failed, despite a test drive with a replacement ecm, and a mechanic observing that all mechanical parts are fine.

Are you suspecting something else as the issue?

In case this is a Bosch unit, one option would be to take it to the nearest Bosch service center to diagnose if there's a genuine problem or not.

And if there really is a problem, and repair of the said unit is not an option for whatever reason, you may want to look at used units at the scrap market. I am sure Mumbai would have a fairly good selection of replacement pre-owned ECMs.
Old 31st October 2014, 13:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Since the last couple of weeks I am facing an issue of fluctuating rpms on neutral and increasing rpms on clutch depress. Whenever I depress the clutch during traffic signals or while shifting gears, the rpm increases upto 3K and hovers around that mark.
I doubt if this is ECM failure. I had a similar problem on my previous car, a Ford Ikon 1.6l. It was a little hard to replicate. When I had the Ford service engineer drive the car, we had to drive for a few km for the problem to surface. I did not investigate what they really did to resolve the problem. All I know is I was slapped with a Rs. 3000 labour bill and it was not ECM failure. When the car was at the work shop, they took apart the entire air intake unit that runs right up to the engine.

You should ask them to fix your ECM on the loaner car to check if the problem surfaces.

Take opinion from another Hyundai service station or capable fng.
Old 31st October 2014, 14:04   #10
BHPian

I asked them exactly the same question but i was told that they cannot replace my ecm on some other car as it may not 'learn' the ecm! I do not doubt their intent but this is the second hyundai authorized service station that i have visited having the same opinion.

I have read through your post i think about the Ford issue and based on that i too had instructed them to check for air intake unit but they had found no issues.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:01   #11
BHPian

I raised a complaint with Hyundai and they called me up to suggest alternate solutions i.e. check IAC valve, check O2 sensor, etc. Unfortunately, the service personnel has checked all this before trying out the ECM from a test mule car.

Would such parts not carry individual warranties which are longer than the regular extended warranties?
Old 4th November 2014, 13:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Do you know which make is the i20 ECU, Is it Bosch or Kefico?
Hyundai uses Kefico sensors in their cars, Kefico (Korea) makes them under licence from Bosch. So just curious to know if they use Bosch ECU or Bosch licensed Kefico ECU.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:35   #13
BHPian

It's a kefico unit Sankar.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 15:02   #14
BHPian

What could be the consequence if I use such a car for a couple of months? Right now, the RPMs increase on neutral and clutch depress up to 3K and then hover around 2.5K. If I continue to use this car, does it affect just fuel efficiency because of the high RPM or can this cause engine damage too? I am a bit fearful of start/stop traffic as that may cause the RPM to keep blipping up and down. If I am in gear and engage the half clutch, the car remains stationary at the cost of the clutch pads.
Old 31st December 2016, 16:11   #15
BHPian

My ECM troubles are back. The previous instance was fixed just by reducing the wires and applying some pressured air to the contacts. Yesterday I got the 3M poweshine treatment and in the process they sprayed water on the ecu probably. Now the car is just not starting. The engine light and the immobilizer light just do not light up. Am wondering what can be done now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks