Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2012, 23:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: K10 engine swap for an Alto 800

Come to think of it. Maruti had increased the length of the front end than the standard Alto to accommodate the K10 engine. So shoehorning into a standard Alto would be simply inviting trouble as if a juggad job would simple send your money down the drain.
As advised by many here sell off your A800 and buy a used good K10 and enjoy.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 05:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest fitting the older 1.1 WagonR engine.
Look at im_srini's project.
nitrous is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 08:40   #18
BHPian

I think this would be fitting a square peg in a round hole. The overall driveability of the K10 is much better than the Alto F8 and that includes the better gear shift, better steering response and great acceleration. Not to speak of better looks, which maybe subjective but I do feel the K10 looks more aerodynamic. Get a K10 and see the difference.
superlux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 16:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'd suggest fitting the older 1.1 WagonR engine.
Look at im_srini's project.
Please send me the link to his project
Old 12th April 2013, 16:31   #20

Members is there any which way we can charge the battery if you don't have the place for an alternator in your. Please help with all engineering solutions available or suggestions.

Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 18:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez84 View Post
Members is there any which way we can charge the battery if you don't have the place for an alternator in your ...

The question is not very clear...could you please re-phrase it?

One engineering solution would be to have an array of solar panels on the roof of the car and connect them to charge the battery.
Old 12th April 2013, 21:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Members is there any which way we can charge the battery if you don't have the place for an alternator in your. Please help with all engineering solutions available or suggestions.

Thanks
The only power generator in the car is the car engine (if you exclude the driver cranking a hand operated alternator, or an auxiliary generator, as found in some buses). So it is logical to tap it to generate a bit of electricity. So all the engineering solutions are geared towards generating power from the "prime mover". If the electrical power is required when the engine is not on (as in buses, ships and trains), then an auxiliary power generator is used.

Do you mean no place for alternator in the engine bay? If so, have no worry, there is always space for an alternator/dynamo in every engine.

If you mean running the car & charging the battery with a dead alternator, then you need a solar panel and plenty of sunshine Or may b a portable water wheel so you can tap the local stream when you are relaxing.
Old 13th April 2013, 01:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The only power generator in the car is the car engine (if you exclude the driver cranking a hand operated alternator, or an auxiliary generator, as found in some buses). So it is logical to tap it to generate a bit of electricity. So all the engineering solutions are geared towards generating power from the "prime mover". If the electrical power is required when the engine is not on (as in buses, ships and trains), then an auxiliary power generator is used.

Do you mean no place for alternator in the engine bay? If so, have no worry, there is always space for an alternator/dynamo in every engine.

If you mean running the car & charging the battery with a dead alternator, then you need a solar panel and plenty of sunshine Or may b a portable water wheel so you can tap the local stream when you are relaxing.
Aroy thanks for your reply my maruti 800 carb is being fitted with F10A engine as u can see in the picture the alternator is on the extreme right just 3mm far from the chassis.

No my question was and what I meant is;

I want to fit a compressor with this engine but there is no space the only solution to that is to fit it in place of alternator but if the it gets removed you know what will happen. So please help with some solution I can buy n fit.

Thanks
Gautam
Attached Thumbnails
K10 engine swap for an Alto 800-image1487665173.jpg  

Old 13th April 2013, 13:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aroy thanks for your reply my maruti 800 carb is being fitted with F10A engine as u can see in the picture the alternator is on the extreme right just 3mm far from the chassis.

No my question was and what I meant is;

I want to fit a compressor with this engine but there is no space the only solution to that is to fit it in place of alternator but if the it gets removed you know what will happen. So please help with some solution I can buy n fit.

Thanks
Gautam
In this case you have to fit the alternator above the main pulley
. Add another pulley to the main pulley
. Make a bracket so that the alternator sits above the engine - in vertical line with the new pulley/alternator
. Mount the alternator on the bracket, and connect the alternator pulley to the new pulley. You may have to shop around to get the correct size.
. The alternator at the new location will be above the bonnet line, so you have to cut an opening in the bonnet and weld a cover. A Scorpio/Pajero scoop with air vent will look the best.

Now that you have a new location for the alternator, you might as well as get a higher powered one to cater to extra load - high power light, powerful music system etc.
Old 13th April 2013, 13:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

How did the alternator end up at the front? Isnt that the default mounting point for the compressor? The alternator sits near the firewall of both my cars and not in front. Probably you could think of a location such that the alternator and compressor lie on opposite sides of the engine.
Old 25th April 2013, 23:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

In this case you have to fit the alternator above the main pulley
. Add another pulley to the main pulley
. Make a bracket so that the alternator sits above the engine - in vertical line with the new pulley/alternator
. Mount the alternator on the bracket, and connect the alternator pulley to the new pulley. You may have to shop around to get the correct size.
. The alternator at the new location will be above the bonnet line, so you have to cut an opening in the bonnet and weld a cover. A Scorpio/Pajero scoop with air vent will look the best.

Now that you have a new location for the alternator, you might as well as get a higher powered one to cater to extra load - high power light, powerful music system etc.
Aroy adding another pulley is not possible anyhow. Have calculated all permutations and combinations no results.

Though I have few questions regarding the same.

Can we get a electric compressor somewhere in India.

Secondly is it possible to source the E-compressor of Reva, sierra, manufactured by MASTERFLUX.

It's really hard to do sit in the car without the aircon :( :(
gomez84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 11:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aroy adding another pulley is not possible anyhow. Have calculated all permutations and combinations no results.

Though I have few questions regarding the same.

Can we get a electric compressor somewhere in India.

Secondly is it possible to source the E-compressor of Reva, sierra, manufactured by MASTERFLUX.

It's really hard to do sit in the car without the aircon :( :(
An electrical compressor would add to your problems

. An AC compressor would generally consume 1KW of power, which means at least 80A and more like 90+A from the alternator. Add normal load of 30-40A and you now need a 130A+ alternator, a big piece of machinery which may not fit in the current engine bay.

. A bigger battery will also be needed to cater to the AC load when the car is stationary (else you have to have a cut off when the power is not being generated)

All in all a mechanical compressor is a better option
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 12:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Team-bhp members, Goodmorning to all.

Being my first thread since I joined way back in 2008 please correct me where ever I go wrong in putting this thread.

I'm planning to swap my F8B engine to K10 Engine. Please forward your suggestions, ideas, technicalities, issues regarding this project. I know the engine is hard to find from scrap yard if got any help will be really thankful.
Its not possible! The Alto 800 with the F8B engine has a short hood, the same car's hood has been elongated to fit in the K10 engine, hence the Alto K10 has a disproportionate long hood compared to the old car.
The K10 engine wont fit into the engine bay of the 800. If you need to modify your Alto, try sourcing the older 1.1 liter Alto engine, this would be a perfect fit and would give you about 60bhp of power. Cheers.
Old 4th June 2014, 12:53   #29

Stage One F10A swap minor mods to head

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks