Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2016, 23:33   #61
BHPian

Re: Understanding Power, Torque, Gearing and Top Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramaero View Post
Thanks a lot Arjun.. This is exactly what I was searching for.. Lets hope they share the data for Ciaz as soon as it is available

The Ertiga has the same engine as the Ciaz - they've already tested it and the graph is available on that thread.
It echoes what I said - 200NM at 1750 is a distant dream for that engine due to the horrible lag - you get peak torque only after 3000RPM.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 21:48   #62
BHPian

hp,bhp,torque- why so less or so much more?

Just read the news article "Mahindra launches Arjun Novo 65 and & 75HP tractors" and another a few days ago about Tata launching a new line of trucks.

Tractors are considered to be workhorses and logically should have more muscle and power, yet the specs read 65 or 75 HP. The tata trucks had 138 - 177bhp and 360-590 nNm torque it says.
Most medium and large cars carry much larger numbers- my Octavia TSi says 180bhp, the BMW 3GT 330i is 252 bhp.

Can someone educate me, and others like me, about what exactly these numbers mean - hp,bhp, torque etc? Why is it that a tractor or a truck , something that really needs grunt seems to have such low numbers while a much lighter sedan that really seems to do much less "work" have higher numbers?

A kind of "idiot's guide to power specs".

Moderators: I am not sure if this is the right subform, please feel free to change it to someplace more appropriate if required.
Old 29th April 2018, 22:09   #63
Team-BHP Support

Re: hp,bhp,torque- why so less or so much more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Can someone educate me, and others like me, about what exactly these numbers mean - hp,bhp, torque etc?
A good place to start -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...top-speed.html
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 05:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: hp,bhp,torque- why so less or so much more?

First of all, think about the intended purposes of each vehicle rather than simply the weight and power figures; a Tractor is never meant to go fast it is supposed to plow fields slowly and steadily. A truck is also not meant to do high speeds simply acceptable highway speeds are enough to expect from a truck its main function is to carry lot of weight which is why the torque figures are actually quite high. Power is a function of torque and rpm (torque x rppm / 5252) torque is the twisting force and thus the more relevant one when it comes to heavy vehicles. A tractor is tuned to putter about at low rpms doing steady work, a truck is tuned for more torque to pull higher loads, neither needs excessive amounts because neither are built for speed. Look up how high the engine in your car revs vs the engine in a tractor and the engine in a truck. Then look at the torque curves for the tractor and truck engines vs the engines in your car. While the car might claim a higher peak torque output, check how much torque it puts out vs a truck or tractor at lower engine speeds like 1.5k rpm. Then you will have your answer

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th April 2018 at 05:53.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed