Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 09:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Engine & Turbo Woes - Chevrolet Optra Magnum

What happened with the Optra Magnum? Did the owner find any feasible solution?
I will not regard this as a one-off incident because I have met Sail Diesel owners who had the same problem of black smoke and loss of acceleration.
In fact I wanted to buy the Chevrolet sail hatchback Diesel. I even had a test drive of the car.
In order to boost performance I felt that the turbo was highly responsive and I found it difficult to handle the car. Right from the start the car was an unruly horse. Very difficult to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
It would be interesting to find more about this Optra magnum.
How did Chevrolet solve the Sail Diesel issue? Many cars were recalled and production was stopped for a few months.
Old 13th May 2015, 20:03   #17
BHPian

My Optra Magnum is troubling me again. Since a couple of weeks I have been noticing oil leaking into one of the hoses attached to the engine (please refer the pic in attachment). My trusted mechanic said it is due to clogged inter-cooler, so he removed it and most of the hoses and got everything cleaned with water and petrol. Again after 2 days the same problem started. Can someone help me understand whats the problem here?
My car has run 1,52,000 KM. Acceleration is very sluggish and feels like struggling.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine & Turbo Woes - Chevrolet Optra Magnum-img_20150513_182818.jpg  

Last edited by chevyman : 13th May 2015 at 20:05.
Old 14th May 2015, 18:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
My Optra Magnum is troubling me again.
You are going to have to employ a process of elimination here, since the hose is leaking oil into the engine lets determine where the hose originates.
1. If its coming from the turbocharger, get the turbo and the wastegate checked and make sure its working A ok. Turbo's don't generally conk off but 1.5 lakh kilometers is a lot.

2. I don't know if the Optra has the equivalent of the EGR valve but if that is clogged or stuck it will affect the engine performance.

3. Alternatively, the oil maybe leaking from inside of the engine to the out, and, coming out near the hose, if that's the case, then your focus moves to the engine block and get to checking the head gasket, piston rings etc.

4. I guess the air filter and injectors are being serviced on a regular basis?

Hope this helps and keep us updated!

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 14th May 2015 at 18:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks