Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2012, 14:46   #1
BHPian

RHS steering shaft bent

Today morning an unfortunate incident occurred where my 2012 GP right wheel got into a small ditch when driving very slowly without notice which is 5 feet deep with in ten minutes with help we were able to recover the vehicle from the pit. Now upon inspecting the bottom i see the right and side steering shaft that controls the wheel direction appears to be scratched and bent due to the weight of the vehicle,

i am attaching a picture of the same with teh round marking, as such there is no deviation or suffering in the steering operation, request your expert opinion in rectifying this issue at earliest.

Thanks & Regards,
Sriram.R
0-9444203316
Attached Thumbnails
RHS steering shaft bent-a345.jpg  

Old 17th November 2012, 18:06   #2
BANNED

Re: RHS steering shaft bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
i am attaching a picture of the same with teh round marking, as such there is no deviation or suffering in the steering operation, request your expert opinion in rectifying this issue at earliest.

Thanks & Regards,
Sriram.R
0-9444203316
Have you taken it to the service center for a check up as it a crucial part why don't you get that part changed to avoid future problems and drive with a peace of mind than worry as to when it would give up!

I don't think it should cost you much money and time for replacement. Get the rims and suspension also checked up as that 5 feet pit would definitely have had an affect on its functioning.

Get this done ASAP!
Old 17th November 2012, 18:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Have you taken it to the service center for a check up as it a crucial part why don't you get that part changed to avoid future problems and drive with a peace of mind than worry as to when it would give up!

I don't think it should cost you much money and time for replacement. Get the rims and suspension also checked up as that 5 feet pit would definitely have had an affect on its functioning.

Get this done ASAP!
TY Anurag, the tire went and placed it self at 5kph speed only, no load was on the wheel, the weight of the car rested on the lower arm (damaged part marked in pic) only which is the result of its mangled and twisted look.

Post that, now while test driving (tested in flat surface) there is no steering jitter or wobble. the vehicle proceeds in a straight line.

i spoke to the TASS with the part number and the cost quoted was 2500 plus 1000 for labor (Rs).

Please advice.
Old 17th November 2012, 19:03   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
TY Anurag, the tire went and placed it self at 5kph speed only, no load was on the wheel, the weight of the car rested on the lower arm (damaged part marked in pic) only which is the result of its mangled and twisted look.

Post that, now while test driving (tested in flat surface) there is no steering jitter or wobble. the vehicle proceeds in a straight line.

i spoke to the TASS with the part number and the cost quoted was 2500 plus 1000 for labor (Rs).

Please advice.
Get them changed as it better for your safety. You have no idea as when the part could give away and any further hard bumps in future would deteriorate the part. Get it changed buddy. You'll have a piece of mind.

Anurag.
Old 17th November 2012, 20:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

So the lowest part is the steering linkage and not the suspension lower arm?

My Tucson also went into a pit (right wheel) and we also got it out as fast as possible, but it was resting on the suspension lower arm for about half an hour before we could jack it up. I don't think it was the steering shaft in my case (if I remember correctly, the tyre shops that I go to for rotation, etc are too lazy to deploy the jack at the prescribed places on the chassis member and they lift the front wheels by placing the jack below this suspension lower arm unless I protest).

Can you double check?
Old 17th November 2012, 22:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The lower arm does not control the wheel direction. It is controlled by the tie rod. The lower arm is a suspension linkage. If it is damaged, it is most likely to show up in wheel alignment as a bad camber. Bad camber is less likely to cause steering issues compared to a bad toe or caster. So there could be a small camber deviation and hence you are not having steering issues. Also, the picture does not seem to be so clear to tell whether it is really damaged. Scratched is correct, but lower arms usually are of a little curvy nature. So it is best that you compare the left and right lower arms and check for differences. After that, you can either get the car lifted and inspected, or best taken to a wheel alignment center, where you will know if the hit has affected your wheel alignment.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 23:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So the lowest part is the steering linkage and not the suspension lower arm?

My Tucson also went into a pit (right wheel) and we also got it out as fast as possible, but it was resting on the suspension lower arm for about half an hour before we could jack it up. I don't think it was the steering shaft in my case (if I remember correctly, the tyre shops that I go to for rotation, etc are too lazy to deploy the jack at the prescribed places on the chassis member and they lift the front wheels by placing the jack below this suspension lower arm unless I protest).

Can you double check?
Sure will do, i checked both left and right sides, the bend is there in both sides rods but in the right side its more pronounced as in my case (steering wheel side), which i presume could be the case of what happened today morning. shall post a close up tomorrow.

The way it happened, caused rear left wheel to lift up from the ground, so a person was made to sit in rear left seat to ease the lift, four men lifted the front right part of the vehicle and moved forward a few inches to the front, no jack nothing. once done i started the vehcile and inched to safety, no immediate changes/deviation in the steering feedback or wobble, hence the confusion.

As audioholic suggested, shall post detailed closeup pictures for reassessment, thanks audio.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 17th November 2012 at 23:46.
Old 18th November 2012, 01:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I think steering should be unaffected in situations like this.

What is shown in the picture is the lower arm. You will have to change it.

Dont worry, everything will be back to normal. Though, please remember to check alignment, not only toe values, as most shops do, but camber and caster. and make sure everything is OK.
Old 18th November 2012, 16:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@sriramr9 , I don't think your suspension arms are bent/damaged -am saying this as you don't seem to report any abnormality in steering your car.

just get the alignment checked and adjusted first - as DhanushS suggested , toe,castor and camber and if the values are fine , you're fine.

In Chennai , you could try Radial Trading Centre Usman Road OR Lal tyres Whites Road but do not mention anything about the car getting into the ditch.

Please PM me - I can see your car and give you my opinion.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 16:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If camber is slightly off, there will be no effect on the steering. My sx4 has a very slight deviation in camber, but there is zero pulling, or uneven tire wear etc. Any alignment machine can detect bad camber, if not fix it. Also, visual inspection of the wheel can determine if camber is seriously off.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 11:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Get the vehicle to garage and first check wheel alignment, always a good place to start. This will give you an idea of the damage if any. With suspension and steering best bet is to go for a complete replacement. Not very expensive parts but will save lives and give peace of mind in the long run.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 11:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

And as I said, I am curious to know if this really is the steering shaft or suspension lower arm! Can you confirm with the service guys and update the thread (title) accordingly?

It will be great, if you can take a pitcure showing the steering shaft and the lower arm so that we can learn.

As far as the remedy is concerned, if either of these is bent, just replace it. If it's not bent (only scrached) then you can consider living with it but only after making sure.

Cheers!
Old 19th November 2012, 19:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Please refer this image from another thread:
RHS steering shaft bent-nhc_susp2.jpg

The thin rod is the tie rod and the arm is the Lower arm. As the name goes, it is the lowest suspension linkage. The tie rod is situated above the lower arm and in some cases above the drive shaft too. It is thinner as its only function is to steer the wheel. The lower arm, however, is much stronger and is thicker.
Old 19th November 2012, 20:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
As the name goes, it is the lowest suspension linkage. The tie rod is situated above the lower arm and in some cases above the drive shaft too.
So my question is - how can the tie rod get damaged without the lower arm getting damaged? Isn't that strange???
Old 19th November 2012, 20:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir, let me reconfirm that this incident has nothing to do with tie rods. In the case of this punto, if there is a damage, it is to the lower arm. The tie rod cant come in contact with the road surface as long as the lower arm exists, or something similar to that. The car was resting on its lower arm and not the tie rod. If it were the tie rod, it would have been bent even badly or would have got cut. Hence, it is usually located in an enclosed area and not exposed to the road in most cars. Same is the case with this punto. The lower arm protudes outside and hence, can sustain damage if the tyres fall into a deep pothole or ditch. Sometimes lower arm can also get damaged when we accidentally drive over a stone, and the stone passes just next to the wheel's inner side.
Here is a picture from my SX4:

RHS steering shaft bent-dsc07227.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 19th November 2012 at 21:23.

Most Viewed