Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 20:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Figo's dangerous behaviour : Steering locks on the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The engine had stalled, clearly. This is why he lost power assist on the steering.
Logically ,yes -that is what it should have been like.But actually the engine was on

I asked him the same question over and over again - and his answer was that the engine was running.

@Mods This issue is not one of the engine stalling ,so this thread must be kept separate till a correct diagnosis is done by Ford or its reps. , you could then merge the threads under one heading - Ford Figo Steering problems .

Last edited by vigsom : 18th November 2012 at 20:42. Reason: addition
Old 18th November 2012, 23:18   #17
BHPian

Good to see the activity in this thread- I agree that till Ford India clarifies on the issue of why the steering locks up with the engine on - the threads should be kept separate.

I will repeat once again that the engine did not turn off. The first time I could have missed it in the panic- but the next two times, I was sure. Only after turning off the engine and restarting the car- did I regain control of the steering.

As suggested by the members- i shall post my experience on the Facebook page of Ford india.
ascertain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 00:21   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This is a very serious and dangerous issue.

However i second n.devdath's opinion that the engine is stalling making the steering wheel hard to operate.

@vigsom - can you let us know to which service centre was this incident reported by your junior? If it is MPL, i can put a mail with a link of this thread to Mr. Sampath, the DGM of customer service and a gem of a person.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:49   #19
BHPian

Update 1

Update 1: I just got a call from Cauvery Ford,Mysore. The conversation went like this. Me (I), Cauvery Ford (C)

(C): Sir This is from cauvery ford. We have gone through your complaint, and I would like to tell you that the issue has been managed 2 days back, and rectified.

(I): Thank you for that information- I was aware of it. However, I would like he exact details of the works carried out.

(C): Sir, the key barrel was disassembled, and lubrication was done. The car was test driven afterwards, and no problems were found.

(I): Are you sure the problem was purely with the key barrel? Can you confirm it with the technician please?

(C): Yes sir, that is the information conveyed by the technician. we have lubricated it, and also done IDS- there was no problem detected, and no problem during the drive.

(I): I can understand the apparent 'normalcy' because the interval between my two episodes was almost a month. So maybe it will recur.

(C): Sir, in that case please bring the car to us, we will have it repaired.

(I): If the problem was with the key barrel, why did the engine become unresponsive? and why did the oil change indicator come on?

(C): (After talking to the technician) - Sir, the IDS did not pick up any problem with the cars computer.

(I): I am aware that one other car came with the same problem- that too- a figo diesel right?. How did you manage that?- and what was the diagnosis?

(C): Sir for that car too, we have done the same, and there has been no complaint since.

(I): Thank you, but I want to talk to the engineer who carried out the inspection.

(C): May I know why?

(I): I just want to ask him of his impression of the problem, and to ask if Ford India has intimated him about the issue, and whether it was communicated to the engineering section, and also whether some solution has come up?. On the whole- is Ford India aware of the problem?

(C): I will contact him and get back to you sir.

(I): Please do that - do understand that I have no issues with the dealership, I am merely a concerned customer, who has read a lot of forums in which customers have faced this issue- no one has questined ford till now, and I want to. because if there is something fundamentally wrong, it warrants a callback of the vehicle doesn't it?.

(C): You are correct sir, I shall get back with the information. But many cars have been sold, and only 2 have come with this problem.

(I): yes- so in a 100 car sales, 2 have come with the issue, the statistics are small, but for me it will be 100% if I have an accident, or someone is fatally injured right?. And then I cant blame anyone but myself - that I did not get this checked up. I also recently had another relative buy a figo based on my recommendation - how can I answer him in case something goes wrong?. I wouldn't feel safe travelling in the vehicle with my wife and kids- because I make inter-state trips frequently, and have to negotiate hilly terrain - in case this problem recurs then- what prevents the car from falling off the road?. I hope you understand my concern.

(C): Yes Sir I understand. I shall discuss this matter and let you know.

(I): Thank you, please call me when you have all the information. Or even better if you can put me in contact with people higher up- who are responsible for the engineering or servicing divisions, so that I can communicate directly.

(C): We will do our best sir, I will call back.

(I): Thank you
ascertain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 13:09   #20
BHPian

@ascertain, thank you for posting your conversation with Cauvery Ford. This issue is really dangerous and needs serious follow-up with Ford. Like you, even I have my doubts whether Ford is aware of the problem that has been noticed by you in your car. Engine stalling and steering locking may be separate issues, but both are equally dangerous. I don't blame you for panicking when it happened. Any one would.

2 cars in 100 means 2% of Figo diesel might be having this problem. Going by the popularity of Figo, I would say that is quite high. No car company worth its salt cannot ignore such a dangerous issue even if percentage wise it was less than 1%. Your car can give the lead to rectify this problem in Figo and Ford should remain thankful to you for taking this up.

Ford must immediately solve this problem for such a beautiful car called Figo, even if that means recalling the cars and changing whatever is faulty.

Last edited by subratasenn : 19th November 2012 at 13:17.
Old 19th November 2012, 13:40   #21
BHPian

Update 2

I just got a reply from Ford India which I am putting up

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Ford India.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us regarding your vehicle bearing the registration number KA*******. We have noted down the contents of your mail and have taken up the issue with the dealership concerned.
We would revert back to you after we receive relevant information from our dealership. Your concern number is 800028423
Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.

Thanks and Regard,
Abesheik.H,
FIL – Customer Relations,

I had also sent Ford India Customer care the transcript of my conversation with the dealership.
I have asked Ford India to consult its technical department, assess the issue and call me with some concrete information.

Will keep everyone in team-BHP posted about the updates as and when they occur.

Once again- I request all Figo owners who have had similar issues to share with me their engine/chassis numbers, so that we can all collectively approach Ford India, and get this dangerous issue corrected. Thank You for all your support.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo's dangerous behaviour : Steering locks on the move!

I have driven a relatives Ford figo and observed similar issue at low speeds. I wouldnt call it steering lock but more of a engine stalling leading to heavy steering. god forbid if someone is on a curve at this time .

Reason why it happened is because Figo has pretty bad pull at low rpm, so if you are on a higher gear when rpms are near 1K only and low speeds such as 20-30kmph engine can stall suddenly. This is common at speed breakers, but i have re-confirmed it by driving at low rpms on a straight road as well.

Is this similar to what happened to you ? Do you drive at low rpms ?
Can you see if your issue gets reproduced if you follow my observation ? please test it at a safe location though
Old 19th November 2012, 16:34   #23
BHPian

This is extremely dangerous! I have a petrol. I have not had the same problem. There are no problems with the petrol ones, anyone? They had called and asked me to bring the car some time ago (more than a month ago) and when I asked what they checked, they told me the steering column and some other thing - I forget. This was a part of the global recall, if I am not mistaken. They told me nothing was wrong and I wouldnt know better cos I hardly know cars. I hope that was the same recall/problem we are talking about here?
If not, its a very very dangerous thing..what if you were doing more than 40kmph?
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 17:28   #24
BHPian

My deceleration was from 50 to 30 with the appropriate gear change, around 2000 rpm during the gear engagement - thereafter the issue occurred. I have another Ford fiesta diesel (7 years old), which does not have any such issues, even at low rpms.

@gtonsing - please provide full details, why did they check the steering column?.
I think many of the people who had experiences like mine were diesel users.
Old 19th November 2012, 17:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

I had just read about this accident follow-up (Ertiga)...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2966103

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
.... and while switching back to the left lane, seems he had panicked as the steering did not respond and he had told his wife that the steering has locked and eventually it dragged him to the left extreme, hit the pillar and toppled over....
and now this Figo issue...really scary and unnerving. Steering failure at high-speeds can be disastrous....I hope these issues are highlighted suitably and then resolved soon. We cannot have innocent people who are driving safely get involved in such accidents for no fault of theirs .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 19th November 2012 at 17:33.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 17:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends too faced this issue with his Petrol Figo Zxi about a month back. This happened when he was on a tour to Coastal Karnataka and around midnight (IIRC). He said that the steering suddenly stopped responding (the engine was still on though). Then with some difficulty, he managed to park the car by the roadside and called up Metro Ford (Bangalore) customer care. After umpteen calls, he somehow got the phone number of a technician working with the 24hrs roadside assistance team.

The technician asked my friend to start the car, leave it in neutral and rev the engine very high a few times. After doing this a few times, the steering was working fine. The explanation given by the technician was that there might have been some dust within the power steering fluid and hence this might have occurred. He asked my friend to get the fluid replaced once he came back to Bangalore. My friend got it replaced and till date has not faced any problem.

Btw, this problem occurred just after 10-15 days after he got the car serviced.
Old 19th November 2012, 18:09   #27
BHPian

Snap vs heavy steering

Just to clarify @rajshenoy's point - I am sure it was a steering lock and not just a heaviness in handling the steering - reason being that if I tried to turn the steering in any direction, it would encounter a 'snap resistance' with even a 10-15 degree turn of the steering wheel on either side. I mean it just wouldn't go anywhere beyond that point. So that is a 'locked' steering right?
Old 20th November 2012, 12:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
My deceleration was from 50 to 30 with the appropriate gear change, around 2000 rpm during the gear engagement - thereafter the issue occurred. I have another Ford fiesta diesel (7 years old), which does not have any such issues, even at low rpms.

@gtonsing - please provide full details, why did they check the steering column?.
I think many of the people who had experiences like mine were diesel users.
I am not a technical person and I dont remember the details, unfotunately I dont really remember what the technician told me also. But google has just told me this. It might be of some help.
""Ford India rolled out a voluntary and pre-emptive Field Service Action (FSA) starting July 23 to inspect certain batches of its Figo and Ford Classic models for potential issues related to the Rear Twist Beam (RTB) and the Power Steering Hose (PAS)," the company said in a statement.

All Ford Figo and Ford Classic vehicles manufactured between January 2008 and December 2010 will have the RTB inspected, and replaced if found defective, it added."

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/187144.html
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 14:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

The only way a steering would lock itself is when it realizes that the key is not in place. I dont think that things like dust in Power steering Fluid or Power steering motor not working or even the engine stalling would result in the steering locking itself.

Now if Ford uses the ECU to check presence of key and lock the steering.... I really dont know if that would be possible.
Old 20th November 2012, 15:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The only way a steering would lock itself is when it realizes that the key is not in place. I dont think that things like dust in Power steering Fluid or Power steering motor not working or even the engine stalling would result in the steering locking itself.

Now if Ford uses the ECU to check presence of key and lock the steering.... I really dont know if that would be possible.
I was thinking on similar lines. All the time, it was thought that the fault is in the steering assembly or fluid.

What if there is something wrong with the Ignition key column, which turns more than required and locks the steering? Is that a possibility?

I had read somewhere that in case of power steering failure, it is still possible to steer manually albeit with more effort. But a few posts above states about not being able to turn the steering even 10-15 deg, which means it has locked and not disabled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks