Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 19:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
I had bought Getz Prime 1.3 GLS in June 2008. I find it giving me an FE of about 9.5-10 only. 1st service is done too. So is it the driving style that is the problem or change in oil can do some good? 2nd service is due in Dec 08.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the getz gives around that much mileage. infact mine gives less when ripped. dont expect it to go up by more than 1 kmpl.
Akshay is right. 1.3 Getz gives around 9-10 kmpl with AC in city conditions for me too.
Old 9th October 2008, 22:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Akshay is right. 1.3 Getz gives around 9-10 kmpl with AC in city conditions for me too.
My Getz give 12-13 kmpl with AC on 50 per cent of the time, but then the city cycle in Goa allows me to use the 4th gear quite often, rarely do we have prolonged bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 11th October 2008, 13:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I had bought Getz Prime 1.3 GLS in June 2008. I find it giving me an FE of about 9.5-10 only. 1st service is done too. So is it the driving style that is the problem or change in oil can do some good? 2nd service is due in Dec 08.
Hi Shuvadips.
I too was concerned like you when i got my Getz. It gave me less than 10 kmpl in city driving. There were too many factors which i think got me low mileage.

a) My Driving style - this was my first car so I was revving it unnecessarily. It took me sometime to start driving properly.
b) The Petrol pump - I used to fill everywhere until I found an IOC - Company owned pump.
c) Air filled in tyres - Used to fill only 32 /30 for front and back which was recommended by hyundai. (Usually the tyre can take more air. in my case 155/80R13 tubetype - max was 44. So i started filling 34/34 so that even if the tyre gets warmer it will go upto only 38 psi max).
d) Air filter - the stock filter was very dirty and restrictive so got myself a new K&N filter. (Even a new stock filter would have helped)

After doing the following i used to see improvement in milegae from 9.5 kmpl to 11.5 - 12 kmpl. This mileage improvement was measured before and after the changes in the same route from Wilson Garden to Race course road (center of the city).

Now i drive in the Outer Ring Road from HSR Layout to Mahadevpura and my mileage is at 13.5 kmpl with 70% AC.

So dont worry you can improve the mileage if u try.
Old 18th October 2008, 11:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Yes, Mobil 1 comes in only 1 and 4 litre cans.

My Getz has run in only 12 and is due for 4th service in November. I plan to go for synthetic oil in the service after next and use it for 1 year as my daily running is less.

What is the shelf life for synthetic oil once the can is opened? As my running is less nowadays, the change would easily take 10 to 12 months.

I plan to get the oil from J.C Road shop. Thanks for letting me know the bargaining part.
How much flush is needed. Is 1 ltr is enough?
Old 20th October 2008, 13:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Hi Shuvadips.
I too was concerned like you when i got my Getz. It gave me less than 10 kmpl in city driving. There were too many factors which i think got me low mileage.

a) My Driving style - this was my first car so I was revving it unnecessarily. It took me sometime to start driving properly.
b) The Petrol pump - I used to fill everywhere until I found an IOC - Company owned pump.
c) Air filled in tyres - Used to fill only 32 /30 for front and back which was recommended by hyundai. (Usually the tyre can take more air. in my case 155/80R13 tubetype - max was 44. So i started filling 34/34 so that even if the tyre gets warmer it will go upto only 38 psi max).
d) Air filter - the stock filter was very dirty and restrictive so got myself a new K&N filter. (Even a new stock filter would have helped)

After doing the following i used to see improvement in milegae from 9.5 kmpl to 11.5 - 12 kmpl. This mileage improvement was measured before and after the changes in the same route from Wilson Garden to Race course road (center of the city).

Now i drive in the Outer Ring Road from HSR Layout to Mahadevpura and my mileage is at 13.5 kmpl with 70% AC.

So dont worry you can improve the mileage if u try.

Thank you all BHPians for the replies.

Hello Kash,

I drive at 70% AC in Bangalore, Indira Nagar to ITPL in general in full traffic condition during the office time and on weekends with my family to some place in city with full AC. I am a newbie to driving, only 5-6 months now, so I am not very clear about some of the terms like ....
a) whats revving?
Do you mean like pressing the accelerator more in 1/2 clutch or 3/4 clutch?
b) I also fill up premium pertol from the IOC pertol bunk only, is there different kinds of IOC pertol bunks like company owned & outsouced or something?
c) I would fill more air (34/34)from now on, I did 31/31, thanks
d) Waht K&N Filter? Do we need to replace it after some regular interval? I have done just 2000 kms.
Old 20th October 2008, 20:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all BHPians for the replies.

Hello Kash,

I drive at 70% AC in Bangalore, Indira Nagar to ITPL in general in full traffic condition during the office time and on weekends with my family to some place in city with full AC. I am a newbie to driving, only 5-6 months now, so I am not very clear about some of the terms like ....
a) whats revving?
Do you mean like pressing the accelerator more in 1/2 clutch or 3/4 clutch?
b) I also fill up premium pertol from the IOC pertol bunk only, is there different kinds of IOC pertol bunks like company owned & outsouced or something?
c) I would fill more air (34/34)from now on, I did 31/31, thanks
d) Waht K&N Filter? Do we need to replace it after some regular interval? I have done just 2000 kms.
Hi shuvadips

a) Yes
b) Yes. Its always good to go for a Company Owned-Company Operated (COCO) to get good quality. Private operated bunks keep inventing new tricks everyday to cheat us.
c)
d) K&N filter is a after market air filter which is claimed to provide more air flow to the engine. Just Google to find more details. You don't have to change your air filter now. I changed mine after 15K kms only. Also the K&N filter costs around 4K while the normal filter is only Rs 270. I doubt if K&N really works because when i changed my air filter to the stock one (when i wanted to clean my K&N) i found that the car was responding better

So just make sure your stock air filter its clean enough. If the car is driven in dusty conditions the air filter will get clogged sooner. I now make it a point to check and use my vacuum cleaner (use only suction and not the blower since blowing could lodge the dust particles deeper into the filter) on the stock filter every 3 months.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:35   #22
BHPian

Thanks Kash, would report my FE as with the changed settings .
Old 29th October 2008, 17:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please advise about a good dealer owned Hyundai service center in Mumbai?

Must-haves - affordable labor costs and honesty (no stupid gimmicks to overcharge customers)

Nice-to-haves would be - open on Sunday and/or till late evening.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
My Getz give 12-13 kmpl with AC on 50 per cent of the time, but then the city cycle in Goa allows me to use the 4th gear quite often, rarely do we have prolonged bumper-to-bumper traffic.
I am getting 10-12 with AC on 50% of the time in bangalore chaos.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am getting 10-12 with AC on 50% of the time in bangalore chaos.

Thanks to T-BHP members that now I am getting 13.396 kmpl(accurate) with 70% AC. I calculated it after driving for 301 kms for 22.47 litres of premium petrol. The duration was 14 days. Premium petrol cost about Rs 61.47 per litre which is some Rs 4 higher than the regular petrol.

I have Getz Prime 1.3 GLS & its aged about 5 months now. Done 2200+ kms. The things I changed to increase the mileage from 9.80 kmpl to 13.35 kmpl is as follows.

1. Increase tyre pressure from 30/30/30/30 psi to 33/33/33/33 psi
2. I in general do no floor the accelerator but increase it slowing.
3. I always try to be at the higher gears. I always go to 4th gear as soon I reach 40kmph speed.
4. I try to see beyond & try to analyse what could happen ahead of me, this way I am using less brake than before.
5. I switch of the car at red light junctions where the waiting time is more than 30 secs.
6. I always try to keep my petrol tank more than half full.
7. I fill up petrol only during morning hours.
8. I park my car under the shade during the morning time.
9. I drive no more than 70-75 kmph max speed, mosty I drive at 60 kmph
10. I use longer stretch of road but good quality road than to take short cuts with potholes.

I had tried to all that is possible. Next month I would try with the regular petrol and update here.cheers:
Old 4th November 2008, 11:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to T-BHP members that now I am getting 13.396 kmpl(accurate) with 70% AC. I calculated it after driving for 301 kms for 22.47 litres of premium petrol. The duration was 14 days. Premium petrol cost about Rs 61.47 per litre which is some Rs 4 higher than the regular petrol.
Thats great for B'lore traffic I guess!
Quote:
I have Getz Prime 1.3 GLS & its aged about 5 months now. Done 2200+ kms. The things I changed to increase the mileage from 9.80 kmpl to 13.35 kmpl is as follows.

1. Increase tyre pressure from 30/30/30/30 psi to 33/33/33/33 psi
2. I in general do no floor the accelerator but increase it slowing.
3. I always try to be at the higher gears. I always go to 4th gear as soon I reach 40kmph speed.
4. I try to see beyond & try to analyse what could happen ahead of me, this way I am using less brake than before.
5. I switch of the car at red light junctions where the waiting time is more than 30 secs.
6. I always try to keep my petrol tank more than half full.
7. I fill up petrol only during morning hours.
8. I park my car under the shade during the morning time.
9. I drive no more than 70-75 kmph max speed, mosty I drive at 60 kmph
10. I use longer stretch of road but good quality road than to take short cuts with potholes.

I had tried to all that is possible. Next month I would try with the regular petrol and update here.
1. How is the ride quality on 33 psi all around? Do you have the stock 13 inchers or upsized? How many people in car at a time?
5. Not possible in Mumbai, at many signals, cops take charge even though signal is working and allow traffic to flow through even though it is a red light!
8. Did you mention this point w.r.t AC cooling effectiveness?
9. Thats anyways forced upon us in Mumbai, average speed cannot exceed beyond that figure anyhow!
10. Wish there were roads with lesser potholes in Mumbai!
Old 5th November 2008, 16:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
1. How is the ride quality on 33 psi all around? Do you have the stock 13 inchers or upsized? How many people in car at a time?
5. Not possible in Mumbai, at many signals, cops take charge even though signal is working and allow traffic to flow through even though it is a red light!
8. Did you mention this point w.r.t AC cooling effectiveness?
9. Thats anyways forced upon us in Mumbai, average speed cannot exceed beyond that figure anyhow!
10. Wish there were roads with lesser potholes in Mumbai!
1. I do not find much difference with an increase of 3 psi. I have the 175/70R13 tyres. In general it is used 75% with only the driver(thats I).

5. In Bangalore, most of the signals I face needs a minimum wait of 2 mins to 5 mins max.

8. I am not sure , it was told to me by someone, but that would keep the car cool which might keep the petrol from flying away. And ofcourse the AC pat is there. Gatz have an awesome AC(atleast when it is new, I am not sure hod good it would be later) for sure.

9. My average speed wouldnt be more than 30-32 km/h. I reach office from home in 25 minutes which is 16 kms but when I return it takes me 45 minutes. What I enjoy is some empty stretches where I can pick up speed. So I can reach even 100 kmph speed with ease but for the mileage I stopped that practise as I needed to brake since there would be inevitablely some speed-breakers(road humps) ahead always.

10. Bangalore has its share of potholes which I found a way to avoid by going around & travelling more 2 kms.

I think somewhing which would give a negligible more mileage is the climate in Bangalore as it is cooler so the AC has to work lesser as compared to say Mumbai, Chennai or Kolkata.
Cheers Mate

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th November 2008 at 17:04. Reason: milie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.
Old 5th November 2008, 21:10   #28
BHPian

I recently did a paid service at 16k for my non-prime Getz GVS 1.3 at HMP Chennai. Cost me 5k for the following:

- Engine oil , flush & filter (Rs 630 + 350 + 73)
- Coolant change, flush (398 + 350)
- Engine Decarb (although I was skeptical, the service advisor recommened this since it has been 18 months since I bought the car and it has mostly done trips within the city) Rs 1200
- Interior Fabric Cleaning Rs 600
- Period Maintainence Labour Rs 660
- Wiper Blade replacement Rs 200
- Turn Indicator stalk replacement - under warranty - The high beam pass light was sticky i.e often it would remain in high beam when i flashed.

The service advisor pooh poohed me when I asked about synthetic oil. Even with mineral oil, the engine has become noticebly smoother and peppier, especially in the mid-range revs.

Haven't noticed any change in mileage yet. My mileage increased to 14 kmpl from the measely 9kmpl ever since my work started taking me on the smooth 6 lane Old Mahabalipuram Road.
I achieved this by not exceeding 70kmph and turning off engine at lights and mindful of un-necessary braking and hard accelration.
Old 6th November 2008, 08:57   #29
BHPian

Engine Decarb at 16K for 18 months old vehicle. I think it is too early. Other please coin your opinion
Regarding fabric cleaning better to get car vaccum cleaner will cost you 1000 bucks and DIY
Old 6th November 2008, 12:12   #30
BHPian

I agree that the engine decarb was totally unnecessary. Common way for a garage to increase revenue!
Fabric cleaning.. well I for one, though I'm very finicky, almost obsessively so, about my cars' cleanliness, have found I just don't get time to properly clean the interiors. My hyundai garage did a 3M treatment for the interior that really made the car ultra clean, even I could not find fault. 600 bucks is okay for the results obtained.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks