Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 11:49   #1

Maruti Ertiga - Power Steering Issue

Hi all,

In my one month old Ertiga LXi, I saw a peculiar problem:

When vehicle is stopped, insert the key and start the vehicle, on the dash board, the "Steering Lock" symbol light appears. The vehicle can be driven but the steering is very tight. If I switch the vehicle off (Ignition off) and restart, everything works normal and "Steering Lock" symbol does not appear.

I read the owner's manual. It explains "Steering Lock" symbol light as Power steering error. And clearly, says, the vehicle can still be driven but the steering will be tight.

So far it has appeared twice and both times at the start-up. I tried explaining this to Maruthi service centre during first service. Apparently, they said "will check", but I am not confident they have even checked in the service. I have driven around 500 km after first service, the problem has not appeared again, but wanted to know from Guru's here if there is any issues to be rectified ?
Old 21st November 2012, 12:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ertiga Power Steering Error.....

Keep the cellphone handy next time and try to shoot a small video when this happens. It indeed is the EPS issue, either a loose contact or a faulty component. Since the EPS is not working the steering is hard. Unfortunately there is no easy way to check if they rectified it or not, but the error light is a good indicator. So keep a watch.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 12:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchi View Post
... I have driven around 500 km after first service, the problem has not appeared again,...
This does not sound good at all (esp after reading about the recent accident, due to steering fault, involving a new Ertiga in the 'Accidents in India' thread).

Please drive very cautiously till the issue is resolved fully.

Have you noticed any inconsistencies in the behaviour of the power steering...like, steering feeling harder or ligher than normal during driving?

I would try to re-create the error by going to an empty open ground, and stressing out the steering system by doing doughnuts at good speeds.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 21st November 2012 at 12:35.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it is an issue with the battery. Is your car driven everyday? and how is the condition of the battery. As there may not be sufficient power available, the EPS could be cutout, and once the voltage is good enough the EPS could become active.
Maverick5490 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 13:15   #5
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga - Power Steering Issue

I am having a similar problem with my one year A star automatic, but no malfunction light and is permanent. The steering feels like the old maruti 800 very hard compared to power steering.

I will send it to MAS lets see if its a complete malfunction luckily the car is under warranty.
Old 21st November 2012, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
In my one month old Ertiga LXi, I saw a peculiar problem:
The ertiga that met with accident due to steering failure was supposedly a month old. Could this be a problem specific to recent batch of Ertigas? I have a 5 month old Ertiga (done almost 5000km) without any problem (so far, touchwood) and I haven't heard of any such problem in Ertiga related threads in t-bhp and outside forums.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 16:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Could this be a problem specific to recent batch of Ertigas? I have a 5 month old Ertiga (done almost 5000km) without any problem
Well, I have absolutely no steering issues faced once the vehicle starts moving. It appears only at the start-up that too appeared only twice in last one month before the first service. My car is, though bought one month back, it is April - 2012 manufactured; almost six months it was in dealer yard with 27 km on the Odometer on the day of delivery. May be its because the battery was not fully charged as someone was indicating. Anyways, I will keep watching it and if it re-appears, will record a short video.
Thanks for the responses!
Old 21st November 2012, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
The ertiga that met with accident due to steering failure was supposedly a month old.
We may not feel the failure of power steering at higher speeds, as the power steering is already cut off above a certain speeds. Only at low speeds we can feel that power steering is failed or not.

The accident case may not be due to a failed power steering. It can be a failure of steering assembly , but that is highly unlikely.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:42   #9
BHPian

Hope you have paid a visit to an A.S.S. or if you have one nearby a M.S.M. You should have this checked on an immediate basis. It could be as simple as a loose contact, to something maybe more complex.
Old 24th November 2012, 15:44   #10

Today, I got the car checked with a MASS. They connected diagnostic tester and the History DTC showed Torque sensor issue. The service guy raised the car on the car service platform and did something. He clarified that the coupling on the power steering (I don't know what that means) was loose and he fitted it. It should be fine now. He checked on the diagnostic tool for Pending and Current DTC's couple of times after erasing the History DTC, nothing showed up. Seems to be fine.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions.
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchi View Post
The service guy raised the car on the car service platform and did something. He clarified that the coupling on the power steering (I don't know what that means) was loose and he fitted it. It should be fine now.
This is more scary. A coupling loose in such a new vehicle within a month and he tightens and says it will be ok??

Is your vehicle ok now and no more issues with the steering?

Are these steering failures really one off cases? This thread, The one in accident thread (was the scariest and felt very sorry for that guy) and I read another in Mouthshut

Quote:
while parking the vehicle, the steering became very stiff (not locked) and hardly moved by more than quarter of a circle. instantly abandoned d vehicle and called the service team who came within 2 hrs to my place.they came with some gadgets to check for the problems in the steering.

the results of such checks n scans on their device was 0 and they underestimated my driving experience and supposedly suggested me few things.

fair to them the steering was fine when they came but the most strange issue was that the device though expected to pick up any and capture malfunction in the car happened for over last 6 months in its results but in my case its results showed all is well.

the technicians politely refused to accept that steering had any issue few hours ago. i too agreed and just at the time when they were leaving, luckily the same issue came up. the technicians instantly plugged their device which still didn't pick up any malfunction but the technicians accepted that power steering was the issue.

they drove the vehicle to the service center and after 8 hrs called me to update that there was manufacturing defect which they repaired.
Quote:
one quick comment: mandovi motors repaired it. they call it a minor circuit issue.
Don't know what this guy is saying.

Considering the Ertiga Vxi ABS for my family but this is slightly worrying me; I can understand if its any other failure in a car but a steering failure on a highway - I couldn't think off.
Old 6th June 2013, 01:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
We may not feel the failure of power steering at higher speeds, as the power steering is already cut off above a certain speeds. Only at low speeds we can feel that power steering is failed or not.
At what speed does the power steering cut-off? And Why? Does it cut-off in an Ertiga?
Old 6th June 2013, 05:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post
At what speed does the power steering cut-off? And Why? Does it cut-off in an Ertiga?
Hogwash;a Power steering is not supposed to go off at any speed in any vehicle.
Old 6th June 2013, 06:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Hogwash;a Power steering is not supposed to go off at any speed in any vehicle.
Well, many modern power steering system do reduce the assistance as speed increases. So you have maximum power assistance when you are parking your car and minimum when driving at high speed on the motorway.

Jeroen
Old 6th June 2013, 11:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, many modern power steering system do reduce the assistance as speed increases. So you have maximum power assistance when you are parking your car and minimum when driving at high speed on the motorway.

Jeroen
Wouldn't that mean you are reducing power assistance when you need it the most? i.e on the motorway at high speeds? For eg. if you have to change lanes or go around corners at high speeds, would it not be better to have power assisted steering as opposed to non-assisted? Just curious to know the logic behind why a car might reduce power.

Most Viewed