Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2006, 13:15   #31
BHPian

How can we know, if the compressor is ON or OFF? as i have heard the compressor, switches on and off as it happens in a refrigerator.
Old 5th May 2006, 13:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
How can we know, if the compressor is ON or OFF? as i have heard the compressor, switches on and off as it happens in a refrigerator.
Good question. When we are driving it is hard to tell when the compressor is on / off but during idling we can sure make out from the sound of it and also from the rpm going high.
Old 5th May 2006, 13:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
In my Swift, I find it difficult to figure out when the compressor has cut off, but on my old carb Zen it was very simple. The engine would feel like it had suddenly been cut loose. It was audible too as one could no longer hear the AC compressor when it had cut-off.
Old 5th May 2006, 17:47   #34
BANNED

Sorry, greatmana2000 but the engineer makes far more sense than your explanation, which seems to be referring to auto climate control.[/quote]

Well,may be my understanding of the laws of physics is bad ... hmmm

Laws of physics are the same for auto climate control or for an aircon ..
Old 16th May 2006, 08:37   #35
BHPian

The big question still unanswered .

Dose runnig the AC at low increase milage ???
I feel the engine loses less power if the fan is at max and the AC is at Minimum ?? And the cooloing is alos good .
Please commect.
Old 16th May 2006, 11:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

In my maruti 800 while we are crusing on the highway at say 80 km/hr with the ac on u can actually feel that the compressor has cut off as the speed automotically increases to say 90 or 100 with the pedal pressure kept constant when it was at 80.I have noticed this many times and the compressor used to cut even when the blower was on full blast.
Old 16th May 2006, 18:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
Dose runnig the AC at low increase milage ???
I feel the engine loses less power if the fan is at max and the AC is at Minimum ?? And the cooloing is alos good .
Please commect.
the moment compressor turns-off automatically, you'll find good power and when its runnning, you'll get less power.

when AC is at min., the compressor will cut-off very quickly and will also get ON very quickly too.

try to manage the cooling efficiency firstly by the blower speed and then by AC's temperature.
it is just a practice which i follows, no hard and fast rule as such!
Old 16th May 2006, 23:27   #38
BHPian

Fuel consume /hour

Hi,My car is Lancer LxD.I have a doubt with its fuel consuming.I mean ,how much fuel is consumed by the engine / hour(Not moving ), in a steady 800 RPM idling?
Old 19th May 2006, 11:40   #39
BHPian

Good advice.. thank u
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

In my Baleno I have never been able to tell compresson on off cycles...probably it stays on all the time when the AC is on
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't this auto on/off happen only in Climate Control AC's?? In the normal ones i guess u need to adjust it manually by switchin the AC on or off.

One way to know if the compressor is on is by starting the car and switching on the AC, cuz when the compressor works there will b a rise in engine RPM.(arnd 100-200rpm).
Old 24th May 2006, 19:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

In baleno I can make out cut-in and cut-off while idling (due to changes in rpm and engine noise), but it is hardly noticeable while driving. May be during constant cruising it can be felt (never noticed that). One thing is sure that the effect of AC (on performance )is very less for this car.
Old 24th May 2006, 23:48   #43
BHPian

with my 15 yr old nissan i dont feel power loss maybe 10% which is not noticeable but it surely guzzles more fuel maybe 25% more than without the AC. and in this oldy there is still the cutout happening on / off i believe it has to be a thermostat.
what i feel cars with bigger engines will not face much of engine power loss with ac on than the cars with smaller cubic capacity.
Old 2nd June 2006, 20:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
In baleno I can make out cut-in and cut-off while idling (due to changes in rpm and engine noise), but it is hardly noticeable while driving. May be during constant cruising it can be felt (never noticed that). One thing is sure that the effect of AC (on performance )is very less for this car.
agree..while parking you can tellbut while driving a bit difficult
Old 26th March 2008, 23:11   #45
BHPian

how to use the aircon optimally??

Note from Mod - Threads merged

I am having a confusion on how to use the aircon in the car optimally, giving sufficient cooling while having minimum impact in the fuel economy. I searched for the topic but my keywords did not bring any suitable matches.

Generally people (including me) keep the a/c temperature knob at max cool and so the aircon runs continuously loading the engine all the time. I dont think the aircon will cut off if kept in max cooling position since it can never cool so much in summer.

So inorder to acheive sufficient cooling and save some fuel, can I lower the temperature knob to some lower level (say 60% cooling) so that the compressor cuts off once the temperature is reached?? What's causing the confusion to me is, some people say that frequent cutting off and switching on of compressor will kill it. is that true??

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2008 at 08:52.

Most Viewed