Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 23:21   #46
BHPian

Reduce the blower speed to 1 or 2 (once its cool inside) and let the ac run continuously. Let the temperature knob be at max cooling.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Plenty of threads on this praveen. Honestly, can you drive with anything less than max in chennai summer (which is always) ? Even if it is cold, the atmosphere inside the car when only the blower is working is intolerable. Moreover i do not think you save anything worthwhile. Maybe you can sweat it out & get yourself a cone ice cream from the wayside with the money that you saved.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Honestly, can you drive with anything less than max in chennai summer (which is always) ? Even if it is cold, the atmosphere inside the car when only the blower is working is intolerable. Moreover i do not think you save anything worthwhile. Maybe you can sweat it out & get yourself a cone ice cream from the wayside with the money that you saved.
Hehe.. I agree chennai summer needs full aircon. BUt even in winters, i have never seen the compressor cutoff with the temp set at max cool. It gets really cold inside the cabin well before the max cool temperature. The thing is, if I can find my comfortable temperature and reduce the temperature accordingly, will it do any harm since the compressor will turn off and on frequently??

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Reduce the blower speed to 1 or 2 (once its cool inside) and let the ac run continuously. Let the temperature knob be at max cooling.
I was looking for some way to minimize the compressor usage (without turning off the ac ofcourse ) and still maintain a comfortable temperature
Old 26th March 2008, 23:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
What's causing the confusion to me is, some people say that frequent cutting off and switching on of compressor will kill it. is that true??
I don't think that it will kill the compressor. I have been switching off ac while overtaking and switch on immediately later on highway 100s of times (on non-4 lane NH4 few years before) and by now I am sure I would have killed it. Add to that automatic cut-off that happens even if the temperature hadn't dropped significantly in spite of knob position at the coolest level.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Actually toiingg has a point. when you set the blower speed to 1 or 2, then the air closer to the blower gets recirculated, which means that only the coldest air gets back into your blower, this would make the compressor to switch off earlier than otherwise.

here's another thread that discusses a similar issue http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...old-start.html

Last edited by esteem_lover : 26th March 2008 at 23:36.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:42   #51
BHPian

praveen, i follow this but i dont know wether it truely saves the fuel or not.. when ever i feel the load on engine(while i am overtaking an vehicle/shifting down to lower gears/slwoing down for some reason) i usually switch off the AC compeltely but with the blowers ON.
Old 27th March 2008, 08:32   #52
BHPian

You can use ~80 - 90 % heat rejection films on every glass including the front glass.

This will definitely reduce the A/C usage and will improve mileage.
Old 27th March 2008, 08:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
You can use ~80 - 90 % heat rejection films on every glass including the front glass.

This will definitely reduce the A/C usage and will improve mileage.
Like 2 drops per litre ? I am yet to hear of increased FE due to sun films. You want FE, turn the AC off & do not over rev.
Old 27th March 2008, 09:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like 2 drops per litre ? I am yet to hear of increased FE due to sun films. You want FE, turn the AC off & do not over rev.
Well, yes it does help. Having a front windscreen film along with sun control films on all glass panels does help in getting better fuel efficiency.

try these two things.

1. Front windscreen film (Vkool/Llumar)
2. Use blower at speed of 1 or 2
Old 27th March 2008, 10:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Well, yes it does help. Having a front windscreen film along with sun control films on all glass panels does help in getting better fuel efficiency.

try these two things.

1. Front windscreen film (Vkool/Llumar)
2. Use blower at speed of 1 or 2

I used both options, but my FE droped by 2km/l by full usage of AC before the current full tank. Previously it was 11.5 kmpl, now its 9.5 kmpl. Wonder why, Probably, my run in is not yet over. Currently at only 1200 km in 6 month
lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2008, 12:37   #56
BHPian

My minus 2 cents to this. How does turning the AC in heating mode (turning the knob to red) affect the FE? would it still load the compressor and affect pick up etc? i understand this heater is often used for windscreen defogging, right?
Old 27th March 2008, 14:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> temperature. The thing is, if I can find my comfortable temperature and
> reduce the temperature accordingly, will it do any harm since the compressor > will turn off and on frequently??

You can do this withou problems. Even in cars which I have used for long periods never had problems with the compressor as I have been using the AC the way you describe.

Though I don't remember the source now, I read long back about this. If your car is hot, you start off with the temperature knob in the maximum and the blower also in the maximum position (recirculation mode). Lower the front windows an inch or so for a couple of minutes and then put them up. When you feel it is cold enough, turn the temperature knob away from the maximum position in gradual intervals until you find the position you feel is comfortable for you. Beyond this it won't be comfortable anymore. If after a couple of minutes, you can try and reduce the blower speed again in steps. If only the front seats are occupied, a blower speed of 2 or max 3 (in a 4 speed unit) with the temperature knob at around 10 o'clock postion (when the max is at the left end as you look at the temp knob for most of the day.

When there are rear passengers the situation is different.

In my CVT, the temperature knob is usually around the 10 o' clock position with the blower at 2 when I am alone or only the front seats are occupied. If it is hot maybe a notch to the left is sufficient here.

The methodolgy is same for my Marina too!

> I was looking for some way to minimize the compressor usage (without
> turning off the ac ofcourse ) and still maintain a comfortable temperature

You can try this. You can also check if there is mileage improvement. Temperature knob at maximum always makes the compressor work longer.
Old 27th March 2008, 23:54   #58
BHPian

Guys i appologise for my ignorance but why does everybody keep saying that the blower speed regulates the power of the air-con?
My understanding is the the tempature guage(marked my blue for cool going to red for hot)regulates the cooling and the power of the a/c. the blower(marked by 1.2.3.4 for speed) just regulates the fan speed. The cooling effect differs due to the speed of the cool air being thrown at you but the cooling power by the compressor remains the same if temperature regulator is constant in one position. So the blower at 2nd level(speed 2) or 4th level should not make a difference to FE. If the temperature regulator is adjusted then it should affect FE.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Guys i appologise for my ignorance but why does everybody keep saying that the blower speed regulates the power of the air-con?
The amount of air flown over the evaporator coils will be less, hence the heat transfer would also be less resulting into less rise in temperature of AC gas. Less rise in temperature of AC gas means cut-off of ac compressor and less usage of AC.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
My minus 2 cents to this. How does turning the AC in heating mode (turning the knob to red) affect the FE? would it still load the compressor and affect pick up etc? i understand this heater is often used for windscreen defogging, right?
folks, still looking forward to hearing on the effects of turning the AC on heating mode? Thanks...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks