Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:30   #1
BHPian

Stock Airfilter problem query

Hi Guys,

I read that 'airfilter' is a big factor in FE. Can some one tell me how frequently should the 'airfilter' be cleaned?

where is the airfilter located in baleno?

can we clean it ourselves or should we take it to the service center?

did dirty airfilter give u problems before?
Old 4th May 2006, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

yes air filter plays a major role in FE and performance figures ....the air intake sucks air which gets filtered through the air-filter before going into the engine ...with time the air filter gets clogged with dust and foreign particles ...so its always advisable to get the filter cleaned ...

No,you dont have to go to the service station only for getting the filter cleaned ....its better if you have access to compressed air to clean the filter ...you can do this once a month when filling air or when getting teh car washed ...you can use a vacuum cleaner to blow away the dust ..or simply remove the filter and hit it against a wall so that the dust falls off.
Old 4th May 2006, 12:00   #3
BHPian

its always better to replace the Airfilter...
i never cleaned it...
i replace it evert 4000KM...
Old 4th May 2006, 12:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Go to a local tyrewalla. Remove the air filter and blast air at it for around 2-3 min. this will be better cleaning that the stupid beat against the wall cleaning many service center guys do.

After the cleaning look at the air filter box. Remove all debri from there using a damp cloth. You will find leaves and even small stones there. After the compartment dries, put in the air filter and enjoy the difference. Usually you need to clean the filter every 5000kms for Delhi type dusty conditions.
Old 4th May 2006, 12:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

That is actually wasteful. Dust does not damage the air filter. Non paper filter like K&N are washable. Filter replacement should be done around 10000+kms.
Old 4th May 2006, 12:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
That is actually wasteful. Dust does not damage the air filter. Non paper filter like K&N are washable. Filter replacement should be done around 10000+kms.

yeah the beat the wall is not that effective as compressed air ....abt k&n filters they are washable ,but its not with water ...but you get k&n cleaning oil with which they are cleaned ...and they claim that the filter lasts for about 25-30 washes..
Old 4th May 2006, 13:11   #7
BHPian

Most of you are talking about cleaning/changing airfilter for every 4000 kms or more.....so mine being just 1500 kms old (that too serviced at 1000 kms) i need not worry about cleaning right.

Where is the airfilter located in baleno

PS : btw i drive on tarred roads, very rarely on muddy roads....i assume that this is normal driving condition and 'airfilter' couldn't have been a big factor in my low FE.
Old 4th May 2006, 13:48   #8
BHPian

I have never cleaned an air filter by myself. Every time the car is serviced every 5000kms or 7500kms the service centre guys take care of it.

Difference in FE due to a dirty air filter will be minimal.
Old 4th May 2006, 14:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

Actualy its not the roads per se. Bangalore is lucky not to be so dusty. Delhi gets these summer dust storms which lead to lot of dust in the air. They clog your lungs and your cars air filter too. So in such conditions I would be wary of using a filter which cant block a lot of fine dust.
As for location of air filter, its pretty visible. Will be located near the top of your engine bay. Look around, you will find it, I think baleno owners can be of help here
Old 4th May 2006, 16:28   #10
BHPian

i dont think filters cost much and its better to be replaced at each service.
Old 8th March 2009, 08:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

I opened up my airbox to clean the air filter and saw this
Stock Airfilter problem query-img_2848.jpg
It was not there before i gave it for servicing.there seems to be a small loss of sealing due to the torn edge, and it comes right under the area where the tube which leads to the engine is connected. Is this cause for concern?

Either way its 20k, I went out and bought a new air filter, but would it have caused problems if I'd not known and left it like that
Old 8th March 2009, 16:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its definitely a cause for concern if there is loss of the air tight seal anywhere. Air will simply go thru that opening as it will offer the least resistance!
Old 9th March 2009, 10:20   #13
gpa
Senior - BHPian

That orange filter looks like the one of a Santro Xing. I had the same problem once, no idea how the filter got torn like that. But I replaced it even though it was new.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 9th March 2009, 11:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

@greenhorn: From the looks of it air filter condition warrants replacement. Its too dirty to clean so a good choice.

If there is a open area from the cut (even when the cover is closed) then it could have caused issues, also a good idea to do a TB clean up.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks jaggu. I opened up the airbox a day or two after the service ( it was ok the last time i opened it , at about 18,000k. so i dont think much dirt would have gotten in, assuming the damage happened during the service. By TB do you mean throttle body? Mine is a Turbodiesel indica . the inside of the airbox on the engine side looked clean, with no dust

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks