Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 15:51   #16
SUV
BHPian

Re: Missing Turbo Boost / Kick

I have been doing some research on this issue along with the help of a reputed Tuner in Blr.

Here is what we get to understand :

The EBCM (ABS Controller) might be faulty, which is why the ECU is limiting the Torque.

The ECU sends a Torque Request to the EBCM and if the EBCM reports that the wheel is spinning or the brakes are applied the ECU restricts the Torque (This is why we are seeing the Boost Pressure Intact and also the MAF readings to be normal).

Do any of you think this is a valid scenario ? I agree this principal applies to Car's equipped with TCS but would this apply in this case ?

I am going to Try Swapping the EBCM this evening, will post an update after that.
SUV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 16:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
If you can reproduce it, then its fine I believe. You can tell the same scenario to MASS, of course they might laugh first time Take 3 visits to MASS, one with tankful, then with the tank near quarter mark and the third time when it hits the last bar. Each time get an acknowledgement from them that your observation is correct. The underlying issue might be simple for them to diagnose.
Let me try that out ... Good one
Old 17th December 2012, 17:05   #18
NMM

Re: Chevrolet Cruze - The case of the missing Torque / Turbo Boost ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post

The car picks up initial Boost (1300 RPM) till only about 2000~2200 RPM after which the boost stays flat and the rpm keeps climbing all the way to 4000 but the car doesnt move..
I have 2011 Cruze LTZ AT [ 34k + kms ]. I faced a similar problem very recently, when the accelerator was floored the car would pick up the initial boost then stay flat at around 4000 rpm. I checked with my service guy @ Ashtavinayak & he said it was probably because the air filter needed replacement & I was overdue for service by 2.5k+ kms. I just the car from service last week & my driver says problem seems to be fixed. I have been travelling so not checked it myself will do today evening ( will write a note if problem still persists ).The work done on the car was as follows :
1. Oil Change
2. New Air Filter
3. Brake Pads - front & back
4. Pending work - Ashtavinayak suggested I machine/repair my rear brake discs & replace the front discs. Wanted a second opinion before making that decision, I honestly found the estimate too high.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
I have been doing some research on this issue along with the help of a reputed Tuner in Blr.

Here is what we get to understand :

The EBCM (ABS Controller) might be faulty, which is why the ECU is limiting the Torque.

The ECU sends a Torque Request to the EBCM and if the EBCM reports that the wheel is spinning or the brakes are applied the ECU restricts the Torque (This is why we are seeing the Boost Pressure Intact and also the MAF readings to be normal).

Do any of you think this is a valid scenario ? I agree this principal applies to Car's equipped with TCS but would this apply in this case ?

I am going to Try Swapping the EBCM this evening, will post an update after that.

Hey SUV any updates after changing the EBCM, did your power drop issue stop. I seem to be having a similar issue and my car does have Traction control. After reading your thread i noticed that the issue i am facing started after one of the wheel speed sensor was changed after it got damaged and have seen the TCS system come on even when the wheel is not slipping.

Please find the link tomy thread below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ntra-crdi.html
Old 18th December 2012, 09:18   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post

That sudden rush when turbo kicks in is completely missing in my car.
The Rapid’s engine has been designed so as to remove the sudden kick that one feels in the Vento and it is relatively more linear and depending on one’s driving characteristics it is possible to remove the kick completely.

However the undernoted scenarios should give you the kick:

1. Drive at a speed of 40 kmph in 4th gear , shift to 3rd and floor the throttle.

2. Drive at a speed of 20 kmph in 2nd, and floor the throttle.

3. Drive at a speed of 60 kmph in 4th gear and floor the throttle.

Autocar India Review on the Rapid “ The diesel has the kick of a mule.”

This remark from a team of seasoned test drivers who have experienced all sorts of turbo kicks says it all.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:03   #21
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Hey SUV any updates after changing the EBCM, did your power drop issue stop. I seem to be having a similar issue and my car does have Traction control. After reading your thread i noticed that the issue i am facing started after one of the wheel speed sensor was changed after it got damaged and have seen the TCS system come on even when the wheel is not slipping.

Please find the link tomy thread below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ntra-crdi.html
Regards to my Car, The Issue was resolved after a Turbo Change, Reflashing the EBCM and a ECU Update (in that order).

With regards to your specific issue, please calrify if they reset / relearnt the brake pedal position. This option is present in their diagnostic / programming tool. If not get it done and the problem should resolve.

If it still persists then check the wheel speed sensor which was replaced for correct alignment. Get it cleaned and go for a drive if the issue presists then have it changed (First try to swap it from another car to isolate the issue).

Note: Reset / Re-learn of the brake pedal position is very important after replacing the wheel speed sensor. This will also clear any DTC's present.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Team,

This post tempts me to put across an issue I have observed in my SX4 Diesel ..

The Turbo boost is again ... another one of the main reasons for me to get this car as initailly experienced in the Test driven vehicle ( SX4 )

Enjoyed the Boost until it lasted , until recently what I have noticed is that the Boost is at its best only at certain levels of Fuel in the tank

Let me Explain , everytime I tank up to half tank the Boost is amazing , this continues till the Fuel indicator shows Quarter tank to empty.. this is where at times it seems as if there is no boost at all and continues to do so until the last Bar on the Fuel indicator and then suddenly returns back to normal ...then I tank up and the cycle repeats itself .

I know this may sound ridiculous but I have reproduced this issue N number of times ... funny thing is that I do not know how to put it across to MASS

Any Ideas ?
This could be the fuel tank breather getting blocked. to confirm, when ever you face the problem, just open the fuel tank lid or cap and close it. If the problem disappears, then it is because of vacuum buildup in the fuel tank.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 16:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
This could be the fuel tank breather getting blocked. to confirm, when ever you face the problem, just open the fuel tank lid or cap and close it. If the problem disappears, then it is because of vacuum buildup in the fuel tank.
Thanks star_aqua,

Will make this as the first check the moment the issue reproduces itself !!

So far the Torque is back at Quarter tank and its wicked and am enjoying it
Old 5th August 2019, 01:04   #24
BHPian

Swift Diesel BS4 in-gear acceleration problem

Hi everyone,
I own a 2009 model swift diesel. It has been driven about 95000 kilometers till now.

At around 88000 kilometres, my car use to emit lots of black smoke. All four injectors were replaced and other routine maintenance was performed. Smoking issue was resolved.

Post service , my car is having a poor pickup in 3rd and 4th gear. The issue I face is that when the car is cruising in 4th gear and if I reduce the speed a bit, it fails to take off again if I need to. The accelerator feels dead and I need to reduce a gear. Surprising fact is that the car is in higher rpm band in the lower gear and I need to quickly shift into the higher gear again.
This causes a lot of nervous moments on the highways. The problem worsens on inclines.

Checked all the sensors. MAF sensor was replaced. But the issue still persists.

Everything else is working fine. No engine checklight is displayed.

I am frustrated with the issue and not enjoying driving my car anymore.

What could be the issue?

Moderators- please merge the post in the appropriate thread if required.

Thanks.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:32   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel BS4 in-gear acceleration problem

How is the Turbo doing? I believe all the soot would have had a negative effect on the turbo. Is it functioning normally?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 08:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Try opening up and cleaning the intercooler. I had similar problems in the Manza.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 11:38   #27
BHPian

Initially doubted about the turbo issue. But it is working fine. Still I can feel the boost when the engine rpm is within its power band.
The pickup is perfectly fine when within the turbo zone, but when I lift off the foot from the accelerator even for a second, the car fails to pick up speed in the same gear.

Even intercooler is working fine. There was some issue with its manifold according to the mechanic, which was sorted by them.
Old 11th August 2019, 09:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
2009 model swift diesel. At around 88000 kilometres, my car use to emit lots of black smoke. All four injectors were replaced and other routine maintenance was performed. Smoking issue was resolved.
From my experience Most often Black Smoke is due to improper Diesel Burning/Bad Diesel Quality.

Our Xylo which has run 3,30,000 Kms was emitting black smoke around 20-30000 Kms ago. The car used to struggle on inclines at 80Kmph in 5th Gear. I knew this was mostly due to bad Diesel quality.

Now I use only Reliance Diesel. There is no visible smoke. Also the problem of struggling mentioned above has gone. Touchwood.

I think you hurried and replaced the injectors. You should have used Fuel System Cleaners/Injector Cleaners before going with replacement if the Diesel Quality was good.

EDIT:- Do you regularly clean/replace Air Filter? Also I hope the Engine Oil used is as per Recommended by Maruti-Suzuki specifications and replaced regularly based on the conditions of your usage.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 11th August 2019 at 09:52.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I think you hurried and replaced the injectors. You should have used Fuel System Cleaners/Injector Cleaners before going with replacement if the Diesel Quality was good.
Do you regularly clean/replace Air Filter? Also I hope the Engine Oil used is as per Recommended by Maruti-Suzuki specifications and replaced regularly based on the conditions of your usage.
Injectors were replaced because all of them were weak. Tested them first and then decided to change. Air filters are maintained well. Engine oil used is also according to company's specifications.
I doubt the fault lies with the sensor which guides the injectors. Smoking issues got solved once injectors were changed but pick up issues creeped up post changing the injectors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks