Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 11:30   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster: Water leakage on the floor carpet. EDIT, now Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
The water seepage in my car just refuses to go away, all these months it was on the rear right passenger area,now its on the rear left passenger area.
Is the water on floor coming from the drain hole under the door? Doesn't the running board prevent the water from flowing inside on the Duster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Havent faced it myself, but this is a waiting time bomb.
Whatever you do, make sure the drain hole is not blocked. Else, water flowing through the window pane will collect inside the door and it will become a rust bucket soon.
Old 4th September 2013, 13:00   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Whatever you do, make sure the drain hole is not blocked. Else, water flowing through the window pane will collect inside the door and it will become a rust bucket soon.
Right. And that's why I suggested to make a flap which will not block the flow. The water will be diverted a little further away on to the running board.

There are two drain holes of which the inner one seems to be the problem.

I haven't tried so only @werfish can say what works best.
Old 9th September 2013, 14:15   #138
BHPian

Took it twice to service center this week, as always they have said that it is due to speaker fitment from unauthorized dealers. Left it for 2 days each visit this week at the service center and the vehicle still has the problem. Its very frustrating that they are not able to fix this issue in spite of they being very sure about the cause.Renault India is depending on the SC to solve the issue and they don't have a clue to resolve this and i don't seem to have any option.
Does anyone have any suggestion.
Old 17th September 2013, 16:56   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Took it twice to service center this week, as always they have said that it is due to speaker fitment from unauthorized dealers. Left it for 2 days each visit this week at the service center and the vehicle still has the problem. Its very frustrating that they are not able to fix this issue in spite of they being very sure about the cause.Renault India is depending on the SC to solve the issue and they don't have a clue to resolve this and i don't seem to have any option.
Hi,
After seeing that video of your I went back and looked at my Duster's door. The drainage hole with that rubber outlet is actually much lower than the beading on the inside of the door so I'm not really sure if the water is entering from that area. The only thing that I can think as a possibility is the the beadings between the door glass is loose and water entering is in excess of what can be drained by that little drain hole. I must be accumulating inside the door and spilling over. Is this problem only on the left side?

If the rains have stopped you can try checking by hosing that door glass (gently) with the door open. If there is sudden spurt of water it obviously indicates that the gap between the glass and beading is compromised.

The other thing to remember is that water can get into the rear passenger compartment from leaks in the front also, like in my Duster. See the pics in the first page of this thread. Again get someone to hose your car while sitting inside. The leak comes from behind the center console (see the video). If that is happening then it is the scuttle panel drain that is the culprit.

Please keep me posted. Try this hosing down with you sitting inside.
Old 17th September 2013, 17:33   #140
BHPian

Got the vehicle back after 4 days at the service center, they have fixed back the original factory fitted speakers at the rear and also changed the interior beading, not sure if this will fix the problem. Hasnt been raining in Bangalore since 3-4 days now,will wait for the next rain to comment.
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Got the vehicle back after 4 days at the service center, they have fixed back the original factory fitted speakers at the rear and also changed the interior beading, not sure if this will fix the problem. Hasnt been raining in Bangalore since 3-4 days now,will wait for the next rain to comment.
I still suggest that you get someone to hose the car down with a person sitting inside (preferably you). If it leaks, you know your car the best, so you can identify the exact point where the water gets in.

I hope they have dried the car out completely before they delivered it.

Good luck & I hope your problem is solved once and for all
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Hasnt been raining in Bangalore since 3-4 days now,will wait for the next rain to comment.
Agreed with #woodcrawler you mustn't wait for rains. Hope the water wasnt dripping in through door beading.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:18   #143
BHPian

Folks, my Duster has this strange water ingress problem.

I noticed that driver footwell is damp, exactly at the place where my left heel rests during long drives.

I presumed issue to be a blocked scuttle panel, so did experiment of pouring 10 ltrs of water on the front windshield. Nothing gets inside, this is really strange.

Then I noticed that the wet footwell appears only in heavy rains.
So, after couple of trial and errors methods, it looks to me that water gets in only when I drive on puddles.

I know know, it sounds crazy but somehow water gets to one small spot from underside. This is what I guess.

I may be wrong though. Please do note that surrounding mat are is dry, just once small area where left heel rests gets wet.

Did anyone ever face such strange behavior with their rides?

Also, any suggestions on what can be the issue will be appreciated. Or any more experiments I should be doing?
Old 29th October 2013, 18:41   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Then I noticed that the wet footwell appears only in heavy rains.
So, after couple of trial and errors methods, it looks to me that water gets in only when I drive on puddles.

I know know, it sounds crazy but somehow water gets to one small spot from underside. This is what I guess.
Water splashing from underneath is not possible. If it is not the rain water, have you checked the A/C pipes. The condensed cold water may be dripping and depositing at the heels. I normally see condensation around the A/C blower vents, but not to the extent of them dripping to the floor. The drain pipes should be checked and the metal pipes of A/C should be properly covered as well to channel the condensed water.

Last edited by HillMan : 29th October 2013 at 18:46.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Water splashing from underneath is not possible. If it is not the rain water, have you checked the A/C pipes. The condensed cold water may be dripping and depositing at the heels. I normally see condensation around the A/C blower vents, but not to the extent of them dripping to the floor. The drain pipes should be checked and the metal pipes of A/C should be properly covered as well to channel the condensed water.
May be you are right.

But then why don't I see this every day?

Why is it visible during heavy rains?
Old 29th October 2013, 19:23   #146
BHPian

Quote:
May be you are right.

Humidity is high during rain. Even in normal days with A/C On the Duster spews water below the car like an open tap. You will be able to simulate it during early morning mist as well.

Try running the A/C with blower at position 1 or 2. That way the chiller effect will be more at the base. Get into the driver side well and feel around for moisture.

I've had similar issue in my Matiz finally traced to a loosely fit drain pipe near the A/C blower.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 01:29   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
Duster has an inherent problem of having a single door beading instead of standard two.

Usually for other cars even if one beading is slightly loose the other one will prevent the leak, whereas a duster cannot do that.

Keep an eye on that beading, spray water from out side on each door and check inside.
Old 12th March 2014, 11:59   #148
BHPian

Woodcrawler, this is a very useful thread started by you sir. I just booked a duster and was apprehensive about the decision because of these teething problems. The way you've handled the issues is really a great lesson in problem solving for all of us. I also went through your blogs, and I must admit I've turned a fan ! i guess the patience for problem solving comes from this hobby. I live in Himachal and i am sure Duster will be a good partner on roads here. And hope to follow your hobby too, though I have no clue where to start.
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:37   #149
BHPian

Mercifully the problem has been solved completely. I have gone through a severe monsoon without any problem last year. Looks good for another couple of seasons.
woodcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 10:10   #150
BHPian

Suddenly, our Duster is heavily affected by this!

Last year rains:
While turning around (in heavy rains), or while going over bad roads - sometimes we used to see some water splashing.

Due to this thread, I was already aware of the beading issue.
So, in the service (last year) we had gotten this rectified.
they used some adhesive to stick the beading in place.

This year:

Just came back from a Mumbai-Pune trip - and suddenly, observed that the rear foot-wells have been puddled!

Cleared the water with towels/papers yesterday night.

It is raining almost continuously in Pune.
Overnight (car was parked in open) - I see the puddle has formed again this morning!

Only wet area : the foot wells!
The beading does not look 'damaged' and it is not really wet, the door edges are dry.
I checked the carpet just around the seat/door/hump - all DRY.

Only the area in the foot well - both Left & Right side, are wet & full of water.

I have taken an appointment with Renault-Wagholi for Saturday morning.

I have already taken note of the scuttle panel flooding / drain plugging.
Any other pointers, guys?

Quote:
.. Left it for 2 days each visit this week at the service center and the vehicle still has the problem. Its very frustrating that they are not able to fix this issue in spite of they being very sure about the cause..
Any resolution for you, werfish?

Quote:

Any inputs from you, acroback?

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 31st July 2014 at 10:17. Reason: added quotes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks