Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 10:42   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster: Water leakage on the floor carpet. EDIT, now Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Only the area in the foot well - both Left & Right side, are wet & full of water.
Its not because of the beading. But make sure that exit water outlet, from the bonnet is clean. If it gets chocked, some of the water can flow into the footwell.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 11:17   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its not because of the beading. But make sure that exit water outlet, from the bonnet is clean. If it gets chocked, some of the water can flow into the footwell.
No no, I didn't mean to say - it's because of the beading.
I just eliminated 'possible suspect' by confirming - that the beading is intact - no loose ends in the door beading.

I am noting down possible suspects from this thread:
1. Scuttle panel choked + Water flow blocked due to the valve after scuttle panel.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:36   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am noting down possible suspects from this thread:
1. Scuttle panel choked + Water flow blocked due to the valve after scuttle panel.
I did mean the scuttle panel. Even I had it once in the first 5-6 months of my ownership. The problem was identified and it was fixed.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 12:55   #154
BHPian

Quote:

Any resolution for you, werfish?
I had this problem again and left my vehicle at the Whitefield service center for a week. The problem was detected to be from the headlight alignment cable and was rectified, I haven't had the problem for around 2 months now.
Old 31st July 2014, 18:16   #155
BHPian

Your drainage line is getting blocked. There is a plastic mesh around the wiper water tank which needs to be removed. The mesh is a two part fixture running across the width of the car. Remove that carefully. Just below the mesh on eithe sides is the drainage line. Since this is blocked, water accumulates and flows into the vent meant to draw outside air.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 31st July 2014 at 18:43.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 14:51   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Your drainage line is getting blocked. There is a plastic mesh around the wiper water tank which needs to be removed. The mesh is a two part fixture running across the width of the car. Remove that carefully. Just below the mesh on eithe sides is the drainage line. Since this is blocked, water accumulates and flows into the vent meant to draw outside air.
Thanks for the instructions, Himadri da!
I just came back from Renault, Wagholi (Pune).

The guys there quickly opened up the plastic mesh & checked the "plugs" below the net.
They say the "plugs" are already removed -(this is a procedure they do to troubleshoot such problem.)

& there seems to be no choking/debris under there!!

---

so,
The scuttle panel/drain blockage seems to be eliminated from the probable causes!

Renault Wagholi Senior Service Adviser clearly told that they would need to keep the car & reach the "hatchback"
(apparently an assembly located in the location just below the dash , in front of the gear console).
He was trying to suggest that I bring in the car on Tuesday, since the car bays are full today.

He also mentioned they need to follow the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) which is issued by Renault for Dusters.

Frankly speaking the Senior Service Adviser seems to be an experienced person. He was clear about the approach & quick to understand the problem at hand.
He would try his fault finding.
If it's not located, then they would have to proceed with stripdown to reach the internal assembly (hatchback)
Fault finding could optimistically happen tomorrow itself.
The complete job could take 1 & a half day or more for sure.
I did not want to risk so much water inside my car again - further more risks of shorting/other unwanted problems! - provided my car keeps standing at home (open parking) until Tuesday*!
(Oh-Monday's some holiday - so only Tuesday they could take in my car).

I insisted & told him/them to keep the car today & start the work tomorrow morning.

I also met the manager there - & requested him to get this done on higher urgency.

Looks like my car is going to be another R&D test piece - after woodcrawler's over here!

Anxious,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 1st August 2014 at 14:54.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 09:53   #157
BHPian

Renault Duster: Water leakage/puddling on the floor carpet.

Update from the Service center (closing Saturday).

The drain line that goes from scuttle panel - (both sides) was checked & found OK. i.e. there was no blockage in the lines as well.
There are plugs just before the line, which if clogged don't allow the drain through the lines- even that plug was confirmed not-choked.

so, that circuit seems to be OK.

They will further work on the car tomorrow (Tuesday), based on the TSB & their senior technician's instructions (from some other location).

Will keep the details updated here.

Hope this gets solved soon.

Puddled footwells will carry a serious risk electrical-short-circuit or some other malfunction, besides the nuisance of smell / dampness.

Any inputs are appreciated,

Still Anxious,

Ace.
Old 5th August 2014, 18:57   #158
BHPian

Another udpate:

The SA who had taken in my car on Friday was on leave today.
So - I was the (self-appointed) acting-SA today.
My time at work was half devoted in:
Finding out the work progress, troubleshooting done,
Testing,
Following up for each and every step,
Talking to the technician,
Renault service person,
Manager(YES!)
& their driver (for drop at home).
oh & going there my self in my lunch break at office, for trial & check well before delivery.

----

It was all a BIG mess!
No body at their place was as update-with-information as I was, it seems.

Morning Follow-up ( 10 AM to 12:30 PM) :
Tried to understand what was the progress today - by calling up the SA (who works in parallel, with the other SA who took my car on Friday).
He absolutely had no clue about the problem, or work done so far, work planned today, or work done today morning!
I called that guy thrice, he only bothered to call back once, that too without any information/clarity whatsoever!
(I will avoid the details here- since it will amount to a BIG rant!)

Conclusion (by that SA):
The leak was checked (in front or somewhere- he wasn't sure)
The vehicle was ready. (not sure)
I could go to the service station and check. If the problem persisted, they would take & work on it again.. (he was kinda sure about this)
When asked - in my third call, he accepted that he did not know the problem.
(*I had to smile*)

Conclusion (mine):
He doesn't have a clue of what's happening!
I need to find out for myself.

Noon follow up (12:30PM- 2PM)
Called up the Customer Relation Manager, and told him that I needed some update on my car.
He took some time to recall, but then remembered the car & issue (since I had talked to him on Friday)
I called him twice, he did not bother to call back even once!
He also said, it could be the pin-hole leaks from welds, which may have blown up due to heavy rain.
Just when I thought, he was in sync with the progress there, he said: "The condensation was "reduced" & they would check further.."

The A/C not being the culprit was well proved & tested on Saturday (before 4PM itself!)
Mr. Manager was clearly not in loop.

The manager wanted time untill 5PM today!.
I asked for what.
He said, to do the checks, & be sure.

I still did not know - what troubleshooting was already done, what was being worked on "right now" & what was the role of TSB in all this.

Conclusion (Manager):
I am not sure.

Conclusion (Me):
He doesn't have a clue of what's happening!
I need to find out for myself.

--
I hurriedly finished my lunch & rode to the service (10 kms from my office).
Straightaway went to the work/shop floor, since I did NOT to WASTE any time talking to people who did not know anything.

I talked with the Sr.Technician over there & asked him exactly what was done.
  • Scuttle panels were cleaned (no blockage there)
  • The drain lines were blown with compressed air.
  • Matched holes (for A/C drain) were blown with compressed air.
  • Car A/c was run for 3 hours continuously*(, Yes - he said that & confirmed that when I asked again..)
* this was to check the water drain with the A/C unit - which was happening as expected.
  • The car was pressure washed in the morning @11AM to check for any surface leaks - along doors, along beading, along flooring, all seats (footwell) & the dicky too!
  • The rear footwell-carpet was almost dry.
  • Front - passenger footwell-carpet was just "damp"
I was still not sure, what "might have solved the problem".
Still felt a bit skeptical.

I asked the Sr. Technician if we could have a trial with pressure hose from all sides.
He immediately agreed & got in the car with me in passenger seat.
Instructed the washer boy to do the needful.
We both checked in respective footwells, & rear passenger footwells, & tried to look around for any leaks / dampness.
There was NONE. (*starting to feel a lil happy*)

For now, the Technician said, check the internals.
drive around & if the leak re-appears - the technician in Baner - workshop (diametrically other end of Pune) needs to check this.

He was very clear in his communication & understanding since (I believe) he was the one to do it.
---
All this while neither the SA (the other one) nor the Manager were around or anything.
After I told the Manager, I have checked & confirmed no leaks - he was all smiling (I AM SURE, still without a clue) & stuff.
I was NOT amused.

I had to call couple of more times to the Manager to make sure they are dropping the vehicle at home.
Although I had instructed the same before leaving the service station in the noon also!

----
I am pretty sure, even if I had waited for the Managers call @ 5PM, I would be the one to call him at 5:30PM, just to find the same clue-less responses.
I feel, 5PM was only intended to push it to tomorrow, so the regular SA could join and "handle" the customer!

It's really frustrating to even type out these details!

I hope, I don't have to deal with such folks for any "serious technical" problem!
I sincerely *hope* that this leak doesn't re-appear.

Hopeful,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 5th August 2014 at 19:02.
Old 5th August 2014, 22:36   #159
BHPian

Quote:
I sincerely *hope* that this leak doesn't re-appear.
Not to disappoint you, but even my car was put through very long water wash/sprays for days together and there was no water coming in. The next day it rains and water was back in the car.
werfish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 23:28   #160
Team-BHP Support

Do any service centers have a washing bay that can simulate rain-like conditions? A pressure-hose may not catch what a shower can, as an opening that lets in regular rainwater may not leak the same manner or volume with pressurized water jets.
Old 6th August 2014, 08:29   #161
BHPian

Thats true, the acceleration and braking causes the water to go in places the pressure hose won't be able to replicate.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 09:18   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Thats true, the acceleration and braking causes the water to go in places the pressure hose won't be able to replicate.
Thanks Himadri da,
Thanks werfish - for pointing out that point.

I am still not 100% sure that the problem is solved.
We still do not *exactly* know, what has *addressed* the issue for now.

Today morning, I checked the car (Overnight it rained heavily).
So far so good, the rear footwells were as dry as yesterday.

Tonight I will drive around, near my home. Just some light - good road driving.
Will confirm the leak/no leak tomorrow morning.

Then tomorrow, I will drive on some rough roads.
Day after - rough roads + puddles + splashing road water.

This shall give an idea of "when" the problem peeps again, if at all it does.
---

Chetan_Rao, I don't think so, I have heard of something like "rain-simulation-water-wash-facility" at least with Renault (Pune).
But, like Himadri da said - the acceleration/braking could whip the water around everywhere.
I will just check with actual driving, as discussed above.
---

Any inputs on the check method?
Any other helpful instructions for me?

---

Just to reiterate, before the car was attended the following had happened:
Evening: cleared 2 mugs equal quantity of water.
Overnight: It rained. Car was in uncovered parking.
Morning: There was again almost 2 mugs equal quantity of water.
--
The above noted water was ONLY in the footwells.
No other areas were/are affected (around door beading, along the door-surface-meets-carpet area, rear floor hump, seats)

Looking forward,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 6th August 2014 at 09:22.
Old 6th August 2014, 19:01   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Chetan_Rao, I don't think so, I have heard of something like "rain-simulation-water-wash-facility" at least with Renault (Pune).
But, like Himadri da said - the acceleration/braking could whip the water around everywhere.
I agree with him too. Your troubles reminded me of an issue we had with a car in my family some years ago. Rain water wouldn't get in while driving around in the rains, but would seep through later (sometimes days later). Tried all sorts of washing, but some long & hard DIY found a couple of spots that no amount of pressure washing could hit, but rainwater would collect there and then seep/drip through to the cabin, sometimes days later when the angles were right for the water to seep/drip(under accelerating and braking movement). Hence my musings of a rain simulation. Your idea is sound too, if you have time to do some extensive test driving.

Good luck with your car. Soggy carpets can dampen (no pun intended) spirits and causes a mighty stink too. I hope your issues are gone for good.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th August 2014 at 19:03.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 10:47   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
.. Your troubles reminded me of an issue we had with a car in my family some years ago. Rain water wouldn't get in while driving around in the rains, but would seep through later (sometimes days later). Tried all sorts of washing, but some long & hard DIY found a couple of spots that no amount of pressure washing could hit, but rainwater would collect there and then seep/drip through to the cabin, ..
Thanks!
Could you please confirm if the "door body" was the place which contained these "collection spots"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Good luck with your car. Soggy carpets can dampen (no pun intended) spirits and causes a mighty stink too. I hope your issues are gone for good.
Fortunately, for now, the Renault guys have dried up the carpets with compressed air. There seems to be no stench/damp smell in the car!!

-------

Yesterday night:

After a test drive ( calm speeds, good road ), I found the carpets as dry as before.
Absolutely not a drop of water inside.

Today Morning:
(Overnight, it rained moderately)
Before coming to office, I checked the carpets were still completely dry.

While coming to office, I took couple of right hand / left hand / U-turns a little bit aggressively. I drove a small section with bit of heavy acceleration / braking & also carried little bit extra speed over a hump.

After reaching office:
(All) The foot-wells were dry.
But..
I felt like "1 spoon full" of water might have *splashed* on the edge of rear-left door/carpet surface.

Since, I had work to begin, I couldn't check in detail.

Plan tonight:

I will drive around the car & make couple of U-turns/ rough-road-driving & will observe the rear seats & foot-wells.
Also, will try to record the drive too.

Conclusion so far:

1. The "Puddling" problem in the rear foot-wells is seeming sorted for now.
2. The "Splashing" of water, while taking turns/driving on bad roads seems to be still existent. I have a feeling the door is acting like a "bucket" for rain water & the splashing happens whenever the water in the door is getting thrown around due to driving.
-Tonight before driving, I shall shake both doors & "listen" to check for collected water in the door(s)

----

Still Anxious,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 7th August 2014 at 10:48.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-Tonight before driving, I shall shake both doors & "listen" to check for collected water in the door(s)

----

Still Anxious,

Ace.
There should be drain plugs below the doors to drain water that may seep in thru the window beadings.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks