Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 16:22   #166
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster: Water leakage on the floor carpet. EDIT, now Solved!

Would it make sense to remove the drain plug. That will make sure water does not get
collected within the door.
Is there any disadvantage of removing it?
I guess one issue could be that dust will start pushing into the door.
Old 7th August 2014, 20:12   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Could you please confirm if the "door body" was the place which contained these "collection spots"?

I believe we identified two places (sorry it's been a while so I'm a bit hazy on details), one in the firewall side (behind the dashboard area, upper right corner of driver foot-well area), and one in the driver side door (in the frame around the power-window and door-mounted speaker housing) that would collect water instead of draining it through the built in channels and drain plugs, and it would move around and drip later due to momentum changes. I would admit the specifics may not apply to your case, but your issues may be caused by something similar.

Sometimes it's something as simple as the drain channel not sloping correctly or enough towards the drain plugs, leading to some water retention which would move around and drip later.

All the best with the troubleshooting. Your notes indicate you've narrowed the concerned areas down a bit.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th August 2014 at 20:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:01   #168
BHPian

Swift VXI | Air Conditioning Issues - Carpet Flooded with Water

Hi Folks

I have a Swift VXI (2007 model) which has done about 44000 KMS till date. It has been largely problem free. That is, problem free until recently.

Had given it for regular service mid last month at MASS (RNS Motors, Hosur Road). The usual stuff (a bit not to my taste included filling in Nitrogen without asking me) but otherwise was fine.

Post the servicing had taken the family to Mysore. Due to the recent heavy rains drove with AC all the way en route to Mysore. While starting, on the way back, noticed that the carpet was actually soaked with water and could see water on the mats. Since the car was parked by a relative, I assumed that it was parked was parked in a place where the water logged up or out in the open in rain (had been raining heavily in Mysore too). Got it confirmed that it was not the case, and the water had not seeped in from the beading above the door too (none of the windows / armrest pads were soaked). Even checked if there was any water seepage from the small opening near the windshield water sprayer/windshield join (don't know the technical name, sorry) - there wasn't. Strangest part was that this water logging was only on the left side (both front and back) carpets and not on the right side.

So, called up the MASS and gave it back for checks - they kept it for about 3 days and said that there was some issue with the air conditioning ducts, they'd more of less dried up most of the carpet and asked to check for a few more days. Unfortunately, I wasn't in town when the car was given back. Charges were about 1100 INR (apparently, they'd opened up the dashboard and done some tweaks and had to replace the AC fluids).

While driving last week, again noticed that the carpets are getting wet (not so serious as water logging!) when the AC is turned on for extended duration (one hour plus). Have called MASS up again and gave the man earful. Will be giving back for checks this weekend (there's only one car; with a small kid in tow, can't really do without the car for a few days).

Could the seniors and the more experienced folks in the forum give some inputs on:
1. Has anyone else faced this problem?
2. Why does this problem occur and what can be done to prevent / fix this?
3. Can MASS be trusted to get this resolved permanently?

An off-topic issue as well if kind folks can help me on: Due to an issue with the heating coil, the heater mode doesn't work in the AC. In rains, I purely rely on the cooling mode (AC knob turned towards 'blow air to windscreen' mode). This doesn't act very effectively in heavy lashing rains over a long period. When I brought it up with MASS, they said it could also be due to the windscreen aging - since this is a close to 8 year old car, the different layers on the windscreen might have begun to show their age. Is this true? Is there some prescribed/preferred practice where the windscreen has to be replaced after 7-8 years?

Sorry for the long thread and looking forward to your inputs. Thanks!
Old 1st June 2015, 13:41   #169
BHPian

Re: Swift VXI | Air Conditioning Issues - Carpet Flooded with Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboturtle View Post
Hi Folks

Could the seniors and the more experienced folks in the forum give some inputs on:

Sorry for the long thread and looking forward to your inputs. Thanks!
I have faced a similar issue last year with my M800. It was not connected with AC, but the water ingress was directly from the road, through one or two misplaced bushed in the under body. I took the car to MASS, they quickly identified the problem and rectified it. Please consider this aspect also, though I have no clue about the AC angle for the water logging.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:47   #170
BANNED

I had a similar issue in my polo GT TSI. The problem was identified as the ac drain water backing in. To fix it, part of the firewall was cut behind the engine and another pipe was fixed onto the ac drain pipe to extend it. It's working fine, no ac water in cabin. Costed me ₹0.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:52   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Once had a similar problem with my Zen. The issue was a very minor one as the AC drain pipe, which was located under the HVAC unit near the passenger footwell had become loose (due to wrong placement of the after market floormats!) and hence dripped water from the HVAC Unit. All that was needed was to plug it back correctly and some cutting of the extra long flootmat so that it does not foul with the pipe again. Was charged nothing for that. Check if you have a similar issue.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 16:07   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While driving last week, again noticed that the carpets are getting wet (not so serious as water logging!) when the AC is turned on for extended duration (one hour plus). Have called MASS up again and gave the man earful. Will be giving back for checks this weekend (there's only one car; with a small kid in tow, can't really do without the car for a few days).
Ask the service center to remove the drain tube at the bottom of the AC cabin unit, use a flexible wire to open the blocked drain. Keep a large cloth to absorb the gushing water while doing this

This is a classic case of swift ac drain pipe getting blocked.

EDIT: You might want to park under the sun / run the car (without any rubber mats on top) for couple of days for the OE mat to dry completely.

Quote:
When I brought it up with MASS, they said it could also be due to the windscreen aging - since this is a close to 8 year old car, the different layers on the windscreen might have begun to show their age. Is this true? Is there some prescribed/preferred practice where the windscreen has to be replaced after 7-8 years?
Unless there is a defect in the glass this should not happen, and if there is an aging issue it would be visible at day time also.

I have a feeling they are referring to road grime which is being confused with glass layers degenerating, which as far as my observation goes takes much longer than 7-8 years.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2015 at 16:09.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 16:58   #173
BHPian

Quote:
While driving last week, again noticed that the carpets are getting wet (not so serious as water logging!) when the AC is turned on for extended duration (one hour plus).

Hello turboturtle,

I faced the same problem of water soaking up the left front floor mat in my Ikon. After some research I thought it could be the AC drainage pipe being blocked. I asked an FNG to check it. They opened the small drainage pipe (directs water from the evaporator coil to the outside of the car). He blew through it and showed me that the pipe was clear. I was still not satisfied and returned home. Now that I knew how the pipe was opened (from under the AC system near the foot of the passenger side), I opened the exit side, took an empty shampoo bottle and gave a pumping action into the pipe that was still connected to the evaporator coil end. There was some dirt that came into the bottle after a couple of pumps along with a lot of water that was stuck in the system. The passage was clear thereafter.

Quote:

An off-topic issue as well if kind folks can help me on: Due to an issue with the heating coil, the heater mode doesn't work in the AC. In rains, I purely rely on the cooling mode (AC knob turned towards 'blow air to windscreen' mode). This doesn't act very effectively in heavy lashing rains over a long period. When I brought it up with MASS, they said it could also be due to the windscreen aging - since this is a close to 8 year old car, the different layers on the windscreen might have begun to show their age. Is this true? Is there some prescribed/preferred practice where the windscreen has to be replaced after 7-8 years?
Could you please expalin the issue once again? Sorry, but I did not exactly get you. Are you refering to the condensation and therefore blurring of the windshield or something?
navsjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:24   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Post the servicing had taken the family to Mysore. Due to the recent heavy rains drove with AC all the way en route to Mysore. While starting, on the way back, noticed that the carpet was actually soaked with water and could see water on the mats.
Here's a related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ue-solved.html
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:02   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
Hello turboturtle,
Could you please expalin the issue once again? Sorry, but I did not exactly get you. Are you refering to the condensation and therefore blurring of the windshield or something?
Maybe I wasn't very clear. Sorry about that.

There was a problem with the heating coil in the AC last year ; which the MASS diagnosed and informed that the easiest solution was to not replace the heating coil and use the 'cold' option always. This is what I now use to defog the windscreen (put AC is 'cold' mode and turn on the defogger). This works more or less well in medium rains; however, when it pours heavily, there's still fogging on the inside of the windscreen. So, I was asking MASS if there was any solution. They came back saying it could be an issue with the windscreen - over a period of time there would be a lot of minor scratches and weather which would contribute to the layers of the windscreen 'degenerating' which could cause this problem.

What Jaggu's saying is that this should not be happening since this would usually take much much longer than the 8 years that I've kept the car for.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2015 at 14:05. Reason: Formatted post, removed extra dots
turboturtle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:44   #176

Exactly the same problem last year in my swift,which I solved by my self as the MASS was unable to fix it!! Just check the left front wheel hub cover, (I dont know what exactly it is called). Remove it along with the mudflap clean the area. Your problem will be solved!it worked for me!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2015 at 15:48. Reason: Fixed Punctuation. Makes it easy for others to read.
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:40   #177
BHPian

Quote:
There was a problem with the heating coil in the AC last year ; which the MASS diagnosed and informed that the easiest solution was to not replace the heating coil and use the 'cold' option always. This is what I now use to defog the windscreen (put AC is 'cold' mode and turn on the defogger). This works more or less well in medium rains; however, when it pours heavily, there's still fogging on the inside of the windscreen. So, I was asking MASS if there was any solution. They came back saying it could be an issue with the windscreen - over a period of time there would be a lot of minor scratches and weather which would contribute to the layers of the windscreen 'degenerating' which could cause this problem.
Got it. I have the same setup in my Ikon 1.6 due to the commonly known issue with this part in the car.

What you could try out is turn-off the re-circulation option of the AC while it is running (hoping that you have not tried this). This will reduce moisture levels inside the car cabin and therefore reduce condensation on the windshield. Also, once the windshield is clear off mist, direct the vent to the usual face level to avoid cooling the windshield too much or else any moisture will condense on it on the first instance possible.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks