Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2006, 05:59   #1
BHPian

Vanity Mirror for Drivers

The other day, when we were waiting at a traffic light, we saw a woman driver pull up her Swift next to ours. Guess she had to do some last minute makeup and so she twisted the rear view mirror to do the same!

I was remarking to my wife that Car makers seemed have designed most cars for only men or women drivers who don't need the vanity mirror. But I think there are cars in India which come with vanity mirror on the drivers side as well but can't seem to remember. Any body who would know?
Old 5th May 2006, 06:36   #2
BHPian

Let alone driver side, my 2004 Esteem does not have a vanity mirror even on the passengers side because it is an LXi. So my girlfriend uses my rear-view mirror when she needs to adjust her makeup .

Makes me wonder what the Esteem LX must be like?

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 5th May 2006 at 06:37.
Old 5th May 2006, 15:32   #3
BHPian

Nowadays most new cars come with both side vanity mirros - so happy makeup

Last edited by sbasak : 5th May 2006 at 15:34.
Old 5th May 2006, 17:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honda Accord comes with both side vanity mirror with a flap which also acts as switch for light placed next to mirror.
Old 5th May 2006, 17:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Palio ELX has a vanity mirror for the passenger side. I remember I had this conversation with my wife too and we too concluded that many cars are designed for male drivers.
Old 5th May 2006, 17:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ditto here. I had the exactly same conversation with my wife one day. She was insisting that this is really chauvnistic of the manufacturers... They assume that the driver will always be a male. To which my wisecrack was "no, they did not. They saw a few women drivers when they are at the wheels and decided that when women drive they are just too busy trying to play the stiff. They will never even think of the mirror." Of course to my wife's vociferous protests I also went ahead and told her about how in my previous organization there was this female colleague of mine who would sit straight like a ramrod whenever she use to drive her M800 to office and worse still would not allow anyone to talk loudly in the car, forget switching on the music player.

No offence meant ppl...
Old 5th May 2006, 17:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

You guys are missing one important point here.
If mirror is provided on driver side without a flap, then it will cause distraction when driving.
Its simple matter of safety than making cars for men or women.
Old 5th May 2006, 18:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
You guys are missing one important point here.
If mirror is provided on driver side without a flap, then it will cause distraction when driving.
Its simple matter of safety than making cars for men or women.
I am not too sure about this. The vanity mirror is anyhow provided on the reverse side of the visor. So most of the times it will remain folded in. Now if you are talking about when the driver actually folds it down due to the hard sun, I am not too sure how the small mirror could be a distraction. A much bigger one (the inner RVM) always faces the driver anyhow!
Old 5th May 2006, 19:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
I am not too sure about this. The vanity mirror is anyhow provided on the reverse side of the visor. So most of the times it will remain folded in. Now if you are talking about when the driver actually folds it down due to the hard sun, I am not too sure how the small mirror could be a distraction. A much bigger one (the inner RVM) always faces the driver anyhow!

There is no problem when visor is closed. I was talking distraction when it is open.
And Rear view mirror is not directly in sight of driver.
Old 5th May 2006, 20:04   #10
BHPian

Even in unfolded state, how can such a small mirror be distraction? Rather it will be an aid in driving (finding blind spots?)

And we don't become distracted in the crowd of autos, rickshaws and cows! Do we?
Old 5th May 2006, 20:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Even in unfolded state, how can such a small mirror be distraction? Rather it will be an aid in driving (finding blind spots?)

And we don't become distracted in the crowd of autos, rickshaws and cows! Do we?
I am not shooting stars here.
I have tried it & saying it from my own experience.

You please try doing this experiment. Fix a small mirror to the visor & try driving entire day.
Old 5th May 2006, 23:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
I am not shooting stars here.
I have tried it & saying it from my own experience.

You please try doing this experiment. Fix a small mirror to the visor & try driving entire day.
In anycase, I think it is way safer than a situation where the woman driver uses the rear view mirror as the vanity mirror.

Also, if that is an issue, how come the newer cars are coming with vanity mirror for the drivers as well?
Old 6th May 2006, 01:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
I am not too sure how the small mirror could be a distraction. A much bigger one (the inner RVM) always faces the driver anyhow!
I think it's the same principle used by car makers when they don't provide a roof side handle on the driver side. The idea is, the driver is supposed to drive, not adjust make-up or hold on to the roof side handle. Agreed, it's unfair to a lady driver when she wants to adjust her makeup when the car is safely parked, but then looks like car makers are just out to save a few bucks or don't see the lady driver market as being significant enough.

Incidentally, it's really ridiculous that vanity mirrors are available only on high-end versions of most hatches and don't come on the basic version. After all, how much would it cost....50 bucks at best??!!

Most Viewed