Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2006, 06:04   #1
BHPian

Spare wheel is a different size!

I have a Swift ZXi with Stock Tyres 185/70/R14 and Alloys
The spare wheel is however a standard Rim (non-alloy) with 165/80/R14 tyres.
The dealer explained this to me as an International norm in that a spare wheel is to be sparingly used.

It made sense to me but I had never heard this before. Do all cars that come factory fitted with Alloys follow this rule?

Secondly, why are these norms applicable only for cars with alloy wheels?

Lastly, is there an existing thread which discusses on Tyre rotation practices?
Old 6th May 2006, 10:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sharath, The swift spare tyre has caught many owners by surprise, but it is a standard practice with many manufacturers around the world. Popularly called as the "space saver", a non-alloy regular wheel / tyre was also there on my Honda Accord in the States.

However, Maruti appears to have clearly done it for saving cost.

GTO
Old 6th May 2006, 21:23   #3
BHPian

Got the regular size wheel for the Lancer- Alloy SFXi- R-14 all 5 tyres...!
I guess maybe thats where they save money of giving you a great deal..!
Old 6th May 2006, 22:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu
The dealer explained this to me as an International norm in that a spare wheel is to be sparingly used.

Do all cars that come factory fitted with Alloys follow this rule?

shouldn't the spare size be 165/80R13? just want to confirm as the profile is more than your 14" alloys (profile 70). if the spare is 14" too with a profile of 80 then there might be mismatch.

no not all cars fitted with alloys follow this rule. certain manufacturers will give you all 5 tyres of the same type.

certain cars eg. lower end versions of the Camry and the Accord come factory fitted with steel wheels and a temporary spare.

a newer trend is developing in which cars that come with run-flat tires do not have a spare....

Last edited by aah78 : 6th May 2006 at 22:34.
Old 6th May 2006, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

almost all manufacturers outfit their cars with spare wheels that are smaller in size and different in dimensions from the main tyres cos of the fact that the driver must replace the spare wheel with the repaired main wheel as soon as the driver gets a chance so as to be prepared for another flat tyre
Old 7th May 2006, 07:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
shouldn't the spare size be 165/80R13? just want to confirm as the profile is more than your 14" alloys (profile 70). if the spare is 14" too with a profile of 80 then there might be mismatch.
No, I think the dimensioning is right. The 70 & 80 here is actually is a percentage of the Tyre Width. Read this for more details.

70% of 185 is very close to 80% of 165. The difference is about 2.5 mm in terms of overall radius.
Old 7th May 2006, 08:09   #7
BHPian

even skoda gives out a spare steel wheel with alloy set. they expect you to replace the stepney as soon as you fix the regular wheel.
Old 7th May 2006, 12:18   #8
BHPian

Nowadays it is a trend by manufactuers to supply a spare wheel of smaller size. They mainly do it to reduce cost [and thus make for profit].
Even the spare wheel space is designed for a smaller wheel. In most cases, the smaller spare wheel has a speed limit of 80 km/h max. [usually printed on the side of spare]
However, it is recommened that you replace this with a standard wheel.
Old 19th December 2006, 20:44   #9
BHPian

guys i recently upgraded to alloys and bigger tyres on my ohc 195/50/r15 ,as the general norm is i got only 4 alloys so now my concern is what will hapen if one of the tyre gets punctured??can i drive with the 13` rim i have for some distance ,will it effect the ride or should i purchase the 5th one???
Old 20th December 2006, 00:48   #10
BHPian

I think its a kind of good thing to have smaller spare wheel, so guys fix the regular one ASAP.

I made it a point to get full size alloy spare for my Petra despite the dealer telling me you get only 4 alloys, spare does not have to be alloy , etc...

For at least two cars I drove in US, Old Corolla and Mercury Sable the spare wheels were smaller than regular ones.
Old 20th December 2006, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
I have a Swift ZXi with Stock Tyres 185/70/R14 and Alloys

It made sense to me but I had never heard this before. Do all cars that come factory fitted with Alloys follow this rule?

Lastly, is there an existing thread which discusses on Tyre rotation practices?
Guess what i went to this maruti service station in gurgaon called vipul motors and there was a poster which said " All swift zxi owners replace your spare wheel for a new alloy wheel for free" Check with your service station they might have this offer. this shop is next to the autopsyche workshop you can also pm him to confirm. try this if you get it for free then whats bad.
Old 20th December 2006, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guess what i went to this maruti service station in gurgaon called vipul motors and there was a poster which said " All swift zxi owners replace your spare wheel for a new alloy wheel for free" Check with your service station they might have this offer. this shop is next to the autopsyche workshop you can also pm him to confirm. try this if you get it for free then whats bad.
Pramod this post was made in May I suppose the user has already availed the free replacement offered by MUL to all Swift ZXi customers. Please check the post date before posting replies.
Old 20th December 2006, 16:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Pramod this post was made in May I suppose the user has already availed the free replacement offered by MUL to all Swift ZXi customers. Please check the post date before posting replies.

I have seen the post date but dont you see the discussion is still active? i was just sharing some info. what if he still has his spare wheel? we simply cannot go by assumptions. I hope this clears my intentions.
Old 20th December 2006, 16:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ishan ..!!
This thread was given life by this off topic post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
guys i recently upgraded to alloys and bigger tyres on my ohc 195/50/r15 ,as the general norm is i got only 4 alloys so now my concern is what will hapen if one of the tyre gets punctured??can i drive with the 13` rim i have for some distance ,will it effect the ride or should i purchase the 5th one???
Old 21st December 2006, 13:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

isn't rotating all 5 tyres the best practice ? or maybe not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks