Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 19:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Battery not charging when the engine is running. Discharges completely

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2012 at 13:44.
RSUDARSANAN is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2013, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
For Battery Discharging: Get the rectifier checked/replaced. This is inside the alternator (it's a small rectangular black cube with 9 pins sticking out of it). This was a common failure in Zens.
Just an update just so it might be useful for Zen owners searching the forums facing the same problem.

It was a faulty rectifier and I finally got it fixed.

Thanks for all the help, fellas.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 13:53   #18
BHPian

Had a similar issue with my 2004 WagonR Lxi last night. At first, the headlights dimmed completely, the speedo console lights went off and the needles jumped up and down a couple of times. The engine kept running all the time, but suddenly it died after driving for another 10 mins (3-4 kms). It won't crank at all after that. Thankfully it was with in a 100 yards of my place, so just pushed the car to a safe parking spot and left it there.

Suspected the battery (replaced last in July 2010 - Amaron sealed) and called the Exide Batmobile guys in the morning. They came very promptly (+1 to Exide) and diagnosed that the alternator isn't giving out the right current - it was 11.9 something as compared to 14 plus. They jump started the car and asked me to get the battery charged and then take it to a service center.

Need advice - should I take the car to a Maruti SS or a visit to the neighborhood electrician is good enough? It doesn't look like the battery is an issue here (at least that's what the Exide guy said).

@Mods: I later found a more relevant thread to post my query. Please feel free to delete this.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 25th February 2013 at 13:57.
Old 8th March 2019, 12:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
Just an update just so it might be useful for Zen owners searching the forums facing the same problem.

It was a faulty rectifier and I finally got it fixed.

Thanks for all the help, fellas.
Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread. I now face the same issue. Please , if you remember advice where you got the rectifier part, how much was it then. Appreciate your help.
Old 8th March 2019, 15:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread. I now face the same issue. Please , if you remember advice where you got the rectifier part, how much was it then. Appreciate your help.
The rectifier unit along with its holder doesn't come as a Maruti genuine spare part. Though, many MASS store it, supplied by Denso, which is incidentally the OE supplier as well for the same part. Check if that part is available separately before getting the alternator opened at MASS. Both the units combined along with labour cost me around 3K a few months ago. Another thing that my car actually didn't require that replacement as the fault was in some interconnect cable.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks