Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 22:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Innova Key Worn Out. Best way to get a duplicate?

There is a chance that ignition slot internals would have gone through same wear and tear.Getting a duplicate key is not that easy,you just need to find someone who can make a new key and transplant the RFID chip/transponder from old key to new.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 22:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Is your key chain heavy or holds many keys which are weighted.In such a case when the key is inserted in the ignition slot the weight of the keys etc can cause the teeth to wear out as the key chain keeps jingling and tugging the key around when the car goes over pot holes etc.
Look up the team bhp directory for a duplicate key maker.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 22:50   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Please approach the authorised sales and service centre. It is preferable to get the new key through them. It takes time as they place the order for a new key with the company.
It is always better to get a key like the original from the manufacturer, rather than go for making some duplicate locally.
For the old generation cars, it would be quite O.K. to get locally mad e duplicates, but not so for the new generation cars as these have been equipped with the immobiliser. The key needs programming in the ECU and also a coded transponder.

However, here is a link of two firms based at Pune and Singapore,respectively, that make such duplicates:

http://www.babubhaiandsons.in/automotive_services.html

http://www.autokey.sg/index.php?opti...=article&id=11
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 22:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Check if the problem is with the key or the cylinder. For this see if the spare key also is behaving the same way. If yes then its a cylinder problem and a duplicate key won't help
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 06:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all

The problem is with the key & the key bunch only has one other key, so it is not heavy.

When I checked Toyota wanted 4000 for one key. I did not check the lead time. Right now I am using the key without the chip on the same Key bunch. The immobilizer is fine with the old keys chip & the spare key is still new.

Since I did not get a bunch of"Oh. Mine too" replies, assume this is unique to me.

Well check the links but inclined to go original given the security concerns of getting a key made& shipped to my address.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:00   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Well check the links but inclined to go original given the security concerns of getting a key made& shipped to my address.
Hi Sridhu,

You can also ask the professional keymakers in your city to make one for you. IIRC they charge ~2000 for innova. Yes, they keep the immobilizer in mind.

- Dhanush
Old 27th July 2013, 10:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I checked in the directory (Duplicate & key). Nothing came up. Can somebody please recommend a person who can do RFID enabled keys in Bangalore?

Thanks.
Old 27th July 2013, 21:26   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know about Bangalore but will strongly recommend Ashar Key Hub in Dadar Mumbai.

I got a duplicate for my Corolla made there in 15 mins flat.They will need a copy of your rc and your driving licence.

Am sure any pre-owned car dealer there can give you leads to key makers in B'Lore.
Old 28th July 2013, 02:59   #54
BHPian

Where in dadar? I want second remote key for my amaze . It comes with only one remote key . Can it be done ? Two remote keys for the amaze ?
Old 28th July 2013, 22:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

how much is toyota asking.

BTW Bangalore is a big city. I am sure there are many immobilizer key maker there.

In Ahmadabad its 1800/-.
Old 18th September 2013, 23:59   #56
BHPian

Hyundai i20 Key fob woes

Note to Mods: I did not know which would be the appropriate thread to post this. Please move the topic to a different place as appropriate.

I bought my i20 in Feb 2012 and the ownership has been quite fuss free so far. Everything in the car is holding up quite well (except the gear know leather wearing a little) but I am facing a big problem with the key.

Its been almost three years but somehow it feels too early for the key to get so degraded. The main key works fine but the rubber buttons on top of it have degraded. The unlock part has rubber falling out many a times.

For now I am using the other key but I wanted to know if the damaged rubber can be replaced or the entire lock and key set has to be changed. It would be great if anyone know the costs and time for both the scenarios (only rubber vs the full set changed).

Pictures attached for reference. Also its disappointing how bad the quality of the rubber has been. My nails are non existent, and usage is hardly rough. But they key did not hold up for even two and a half years :(

How durable are the remote keys of our cars?-keyfob-i20-1.jpg

How durable are the remote keys of our cars?-keyfob-i20-2.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2013 at 03:34. Reason: Thread moved. Please avoid putting "Note to Mods" in thread. Use the Report Post feature instead. Thanks!
SASproject is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 07:01   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Key fob woes

Take a look at this listing on eBay India, its a replacement body into which you'll have to transplant the electronics from your current key - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Hyundai-i20-O...item1e7ed8b3ee

For a cheaper option, see what one of our own BHPians has done with his Xylo key fob: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-repair.html

I'd also suggest using a silicone rubber cover for the key fob (costs ~Rs. 500 on eBay) - this will prevent the keys from being touched directly by your/others fingers and keeps it protected from the elements. A bonus is that it reduces the key fob's slipperiness and if dropped will absorb some of the "sharpness" of the impact.

Hope this helps.

PS: I'm not affiliated to the eBay seller in any way, but I have bought a silicone rubber cover for my EcoSport's key from them.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 12:44   #58
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the links!

I noticed minor scratches on my i20's remote-rubber parts, and the silicone cover seems to be the solution to it.

Once the keyfob gets damaged beyond use, i will buy the whole assembly (Rs1550).

Thanks once again!
Old 19th September 2013, 13:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post
I bought my i20 in Feb 2012 and the ownership has been quite fuss free so far. Everything in the car is holding up quite well (except the gear know leather wearing a little) but I am facing a big problem with the key.

Its been almost three years but somehow it feels too early for the key to get so degraded. The main key works fine but the rubber buttons on top of it have degraded. The unlock part has rubber falling out many a times.
How can a car bought in Feb 2012 grow three years old in Sept 2013?
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 13:17   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out the below website. They have only the top rubber pad for the i20 which costs less and easy to replace too. They have a video too of the replacement

http://duplicatekeys.in/
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks