Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 17:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Key Sensor issue Sx4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Does the SX4 have a floating code immobilizer system? I am not sure but I don't think it does. Cars equipped with those (VAG, Skoda, Fiat cars for instance) will not work with aftermarket flip keys since the key has a chip inside that sends a charge/signal to the immobiliser which will match the signal and cranks the car.
In fact, when converting the regular to a fob key, you remove this chip from the Original remote and place it inside the Fob. Things become difficult if the OE Key has chip embedded and when one has to literally cut open the shell to access this chip.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th November 2014 at 17:22.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 14:21   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
If car is in warranty, none. If you ask for 2 more keys, about 6-10k INR for the full activity to Maruti. cars
The new key doesn't cost that much. It's around 1500 per key excluding the remote.

@Amit
If the transponder is not found, go for a new key and deregister the old key and remote from the ECU and security system to be safe.
Old 15th November 2014, 23:30   #78
BHPian

Re: How durable are the remote keys of our cars?

Had a flip key in my i20 the internals held well till I sold the car. Problems faced were the keypad rubber wasn't very durable and was replaced once got it from ebay.

Also the plastic case started to come apart at times which used to activate the immobiliser leading to car not starting. Took it to the hyundai and they said the ECM was faulty and needed to be replaced as it only happens sometimes. So used a easier DIY using fevi kwik stuck the key fob together and used it for more than a year without any issues till the car was sold.
Old 16th November 2014, 12:14   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 2007 Honda Civic Remote (integrated type) works like a charm till date (touch wood) Be it mechanical / electronic functioning or the aesthetics, there is no deterioration.

Had a bad experience with Fiat's flip key though. The rubber buttons lost it's life in a couple of years.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:06   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I have transferred one of my original SX4 key into flip key. The transponder like many said here is the key. If dislocated slightly, can cause an issue. There is no other problem. It has been almost a year and never had any issues. Although I use both the keys every alternate month, even 5-6 months of usage has been trouble free. In initial days, I used to carry both the keys - just in case flip key fails, I can use the second original one. My 20 months old son has thrown a lot of abuse to the flip key and it somehow still holds good. Just to reiterate the step from the flip key making process - I had stuck the transponder chip closer to the key chip inside flip key and fixed using glue. I wrapped the transponder chip with paper tape and used a drop of fevicol to stick it!

In case if you find the transponder chip missing from the flip key - the only recommendation I would give is to replace both the keys and have the older ones decoupled from the car!
Old 17th November 2014, 10:13   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
It happened with me once. I transferred the std key of my swift to the flip key shell.
A few months down the line, the immobilizer chip moved from its place inside the key fob and my car refused to start(despite taking a good crank).

Look at the dashboard, the immobilizer icon must be flashing. I seriously doubt if the SA is/was trying to commit a future theft.

Just open the two screws of the key fob shell(one of the screws is exposed, the other is beneath the 'S' icon of Suzuki) and you would be able to see that the immobilizer chip has dislocated from its intended place which in turn is causing the problem.

The distance/proximity of the key sensor to that of the key hole is very very confined, a few centimeter distance can cause the Immobilizer to activate(have done this R&D before completing the key fob DIY).

Please open the key fob and you shall be surprised of the idiosyncrasy.

AND make sure to paste the immobilizer chip there with a good amount of glue so that you do not get this ugly surprise again at the most unexpected destinations.
I qualify you as the moderator of Team bhp.

You were spot on! Its actually the sensor/transponder dislocated and was sitting in other corner of the key. Many thanks for the detailed explanation.

Glad to post my query on this wonderful forum and got immediate solution.

Many thanks buddy!

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 10:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

This discussion gives a positive idea to those who have converted one of their remote keys (specially Maruti) to flip key that when they give their car to MASS for anything, always give original non-flip key to them to avoid possible theft of sensor/transponder from the flip key which can be taken easily by removing one or two screws.

Thinking a step ahead, one can even remove your sensor/transponder and put another similar looking non-working sensor/transponder in the flip key so that when you check, you will feel that sensor/transponder is still there and it has gone bad. And the culprit can steal the car anytime he wants (assuming he has already done other things like copying the key, etc.).

So, the bottom line is, never give your converted flip key to the service center.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:41   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
So, the bottom line is, never give your converted flip key to the service center.
I agree with you on not giving the flip key to the service guy. Infact, any after market modification can never be as reliable and sturdy as that done by manufacturer after proper R&D.

But, I have done a small-ish modification to my key FOB to make it tamper proof. I added a drop or two of fevicol to the screw hole which solidify overnight. Now, if anyone (chauffeur/parking attendant/service adviser) tries to tamper with my key fob, it can be known immediately. (This idea gave me feeling of a desi Sherlock )
Fevicol takes good 10-12 hrs to solidify and can be removed very easily in case I need to open key fob for any purpose.

Still, better safe than sorry. I avoid giving the key FOB to other people whom I am forced to trust for handing my car for brief period.

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:01   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
I agree with you on not giving the flip key to the service guy. Infact, any after market modification can never be as reliable and sturdy as that done by manufacturer after proper R&D.

But, I have done a small-ish modification to my key FOB to make it tamper proof. I added a drop or two of fevicol to the screw hole which solidify overnight. Now, if anyone (chauffeur/parking attendant/service adviser) tries to tamper with my key fob, it can be known immediately. (This idea gave me feeling of a desi Sherlock )
Fevicol takes good 10-12 hrs to solidify and can be removed very easily in case I need to open key fob for any purpose.

Still, better safe than sorry. I avoid giving the key FOB to other people whom I am forced to trust for handing my car for brief period.

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
This discussion gives a positive idea to those who have converted one of their remote keys (specially Maruti) to flip key that when they give their car to MASS for anything, always give original non-flip key to them to avoid possible theft of sensor/transponder from the flip key which can be taken easily by removing one or two screws.

Thinking a step ahead, one can even remove your sensor/transponder and put another similar looking non-working sensor/transponder in the flip key so that when you check, you will feel that sensor/transponder is still there and it has gone bad. And the culprit can steal the car anytime he wants (assuming he has already done other things like copying the key, etc.).

Thanks bubby for the brilliant Fevicol idea! I could not sleep entire night, thinking somebody at the dealership must have done the mischief of stealing the transponder. I really thank God that this episode took place in the dealership (near to my home) and not in the middle of road.
Old 17th October 2016, 15:24   #85
BHPian

Having dropped the Hella units of two VAG Group cars multiple times, I can vouch for these guys to be one of the best in the business, if not THE best.

I have always picked them up after dropping them with my heart in my mouth, but always somehow finding them unharmed and in perfect working condition. Only very sharp drops or surfaces cause some small dents in the plastic.

OT, IIRC, some of the earlier Bugatti Veyrons also had this same key
Old 18th October 2016, 00:11   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Just wanted to share the durability of the Manza keys: Very bad. The rubber on the keys comes off very soon once they are exposed to water. Once they are off, water gets in and the whole circuit goes haywire, rendering the key useless in a few days.

Tata Manza Remote Keys: 4/10
Old 26th January 2017, 16:17   #87
BHPian

today while entering the car I dropped the keys of my new ford figo into a puddle . I immediately picked them up and wiped off the water. The keys are working fine but they were completely submerged for a few seconds.Do you guys think water may have entered them or are they built to be waterproof? Should I try to open them and look for any water ingress?
Old 26th January 2017, 16:40   #88
Senior - BHPian

I've been using the original remote key's of my 11.5 year old Elantra GLS; one is dead and the other works!! )) But the car as such is like a pair of old footwear comfy and you don't feel like giving it up!
Old 26th January 2017, 17:54   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
today while entering the car I dropped the keys of my new ford figo into a puddle
If they are sealed keys like the old sx4/Alto keys , then one needn't worry.

However , if they have the remote buttons integrated , it would be better to have them.opened , checked , cleaned and closed.

On durability , the worst remote keys I've seen are those of the old Corolla/Innova.The plastic housing is just too weak ; probably the only item on a Toyota that is absolute crap.

Last edited by vigsom : 26th January 2017 at 18:06. Reason: Additional comment on Toyota keys
Old 26th January 2017, 18:35   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
today while entering the car I dropped the keys of my new ford figo into a puddle . I immediately picked them up and wiped off the water. The keys are working fine but they were completely submerged for a few seconds.Do you guys think water may have entered them or are they built to be waterproof? Should I try to open them and look for any water ingress?
I dont think you need to open it up. I guess its totally fine. These keys are built to handle water to a small extent(very small ). However you may remove the battery(by opening up the back panel with the oval logo) and keep it off for a few hours and run a dryer over the key for a few minutes as a precautionary method.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks