Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 23:16   #46
BHPian

Re: My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
[/list]Oh dude, Good that you asked in the forum and did not try driving at 110 Kmph. It was only a suggestion to understand how much offset you really need with this rim, and if offestting would really help you in the rim fitment. Please do not experiment driving the car with a washer like spacer. Only jack up the car and rotate the wheel by hand. It is very much possible that all your above mentioned forecasts turn true if you drive with this setup.
-Ilango
Hi Friend,

Actually this car is for my passion and interest towards fiat. I love the stability of this vehicle so I am willing to maintain it to my best possible. And this car is most likely to be used for long weekend drives over the highways and expressways where if at all not willingly but still the vehicles are forced to maintain a speed of at least 100Kmph. Therefore:

Being a minor contact to create hold or bond between the rims and the nut, I think the feviquick or elfy, experiment will not be able to stand the jerks and bumps on the road even at a nominal speed.

So, in alternate I was thinking if we can use the worn out pressure/clutch plates from the scooters or motorcycles as they will be firmly moulded in round shape and having wider dimensions and almost matching to the size where the wheel bolts will be fastened, they are likely to be more safer as compared with the nut formula. What do you say?

P.S:If at all we use any of the above formulas, we have to replace the existing wheel bolts and use the extended ones with a little additional length to maintain the grip.

Regards,

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 7th June 2013 at 23:19. Reason: Addition
Old 8th June 2013, 14:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
And this car is most likely to be used for long weekend drives over the highways and expressways where if at all not willingly but still the vehicles are forced to maintain a speed of at least 100Kmph.
Quote:
Rotate the wheel while the car is jacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Is that sure that it will not lose its grip even when the car is at high speeds say average of 100 or 110Kmph.
Quote:
Only jack up the car and rotate the wheel by hand.
Sushil,
Any restoration becomes successful with lots of patience. I would recommend you developing the same while you go through the posts as well. At every instance I have been asking you to try rotating the wheel while the car is jacked and rotate by hand. This is only to understand the level of offset you require, before fabricating an offset plate or an adaptor. Please keep us posted if you have trouble in visualizing the exercise, we shall sort it out. All the best.
Old 8th June 2013, 20:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Sushil,
Any restoration becomes successful with lots of patience. I would recommend you developing the same while you go through the posts as well. At every instance I have been asking you to try rotating the wheel while the car is jacked and rotate by hand. This is only to understand the level of offset you require, before fabricating an offset plate or an adaptor. Please keep us posted if you have trouble in visualizing the exercise, we shall sort it out. All the best.

Hi Ilangop

Good Day

Thanks for the response Yes that a thorough restoration needs a lot of passion and patience. Thats nice that you explained that it was to understand the level of offset you require, before fabricating an offset plate or an adaptor

Please keep us posted if you have trouble in visualizing the exercise, we shall sort it out.
Guess would need your help in the same as those rims are back at my friends place as and it will be difficult to visualize it without the actual rims. So would definitely need your help on the same.

Thanks for the help Brother, I really appreciate the same. I will surely try to meet you when I am in Mumbai and Pune

Thanks and Regards
Sushil

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 8th June 2013 at 20:42.
Old 31st August 2013, 12:00   #49
BHPian

Sushil: Has the paper work of the Fiat Uno been completed? I am worried because of the person whose services you are employing. Go through this thread and you will understand why. Ensure that the documentation is perfect at all costs. And do post updates / pictures of the car.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:52   #50
BANNED

Hi Sushil
After you left from our Apartment, I took one Fiat UNO 1999 model diesel with power steering and back wiper. I am posting photos of my UNO.
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-1.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-2.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-3.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-4.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-5.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-6.jpg  

mituadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 23:51   #51
BHPian

Hi Das sir

Its indeed a pleasent surprise to see you after a long time
First of all congratulations on the new acquisition its looking great . can you tell me how much it costed you as wanted to understand how much we can get it for?
As for me I could not get the paperwork completed so scrapped the old car and have gone for a fiat uno diesel. As far as the cost is concerned its a long and tragic story shall share the same with you in person .Hoever as I am new to diesels so will need your guidence on maintaining the same will check out your new car when I visit safilguda on this sunday. please do message me your mobile number
Convey regards to family
Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 18th October 2020, 17:20   #52
BHPian

Belt for UNO 1.2 spfi

Hi all,

Am looking for one of the two belts on my 2003 Uno. Lack of any support from FCA so I have to fend on my own. The belt size is somewhere between 4PK560 and 600. Can someone who has access to this particular version of Uno please check and confirm the belt size? 4PK545 is available in the market but that is for the 999 cc engine and too short for this larger engine. Also if any size in the range that I mentioned is available from your parts supplier please put me in touch with him. I would be most grateful.

TIA

Last edited by Anwesh : 18th October 2020 at 17:21.
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Belt for UNO 1.2 spfi

Hi Anwesh,

Could you post a picture of the pulleys and belts please? Boodmo is listing several options - one 4pk690 and another 4pk960. So don't want to give you wrong inputs.

Do you have the current belt handy? The number would be marked on it.

Please take the belt and check at parts stores in Mumbai.

Based on reviews on this forum, there is one Shetty Motors in Mumbai. Maybe you could try sourcing from there.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:14   #54
BHPian

Hi!

I shall take pics when I visit the service centre tomorrow.

The size is definitely between 570 and 600. I had replaced belts last year and they were easily available with the nearby roadside shop then. The mechanic did not do a correct fitment, so the tensioner became loose and both belts got totally chewed up.
I have a pending order with Shetty motors for several days, no luck so far.
Someone told me that the Lancer had this size belt, but no other Indian market car.

Regards,

Anwesh
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 22:36   #55
BHPian

Hi Anvesh and Vigsom.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive by posting your queries on the same. I would suggest contacting the spare parts shops in prabhadevi Mumbai I recall Late Dhabhar sir mentioning about the same once in one of the threads guess somewhere in opera house guess it was Mehta motors. regarding the story of this particular fiat Uno. The mechanic whom i had trusted with the restoration turned out to be a crook he had painted the vehicle but spoilt the engine. Finally after chasing with him multiple times we gave up on him and he offered to take this vehicle in exchange to a diesel uno which was even worse. It used to get heated up after 2 kms.

This time found a mechanic near my house who initially sounded very promising but later on started cheating as well. Had a situation at home during one of the medical emergencies this car broke down and we ended up losing one of our relatives as we were unable to reach hospital on time.

Later on this mechanic who had the shop in manikonda area took this vehicle in the name of repair and lost it in replacement gave us a 2008 model Indica dls which was in use from 2015-2021.

The Indica had to be given complete engine overhaul by a different mechanic in 2018 and was running well had been to Chennai and back but on one of the trips broke down on the highway 70 kms away from Hyderabad had to spend a lot to tow the vehicle and get back. gave it to another mechanic who replaced the engine and even then the vehicle did not perform finally it was scrapped in 2021 September.

After going through so much of pain and frustration my BIL decided to go for a pre owned wagon r from varun motors true value. Although the vehicle is good and performs well as is a 2015 model K10 engine. the paperwork for the same has been a pain. we are still waiting for the original RC to be received from the agent of the showroom. Planning to start a separate thread on the same. Will share the details soon. Until then take care and stay safe

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 4th September 2022, 09:37   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Sushil on restoring this Uno, and preserving it. It is a nice car - we had considered this back in 1999 before we got our Padmini. Still remember doing a high-speed test drive on the then nearly-deserted ring road here in Bangalore, when I had crossed the 100 and a little more. ( I had even checked out it's successor the Palio later in 2005).
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed