Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 16:22   #1
BHPian

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored

Dear all

This is my second project after the restoration of my prized posession . herein I am helping my relative to get his fiat uno restored. Since he had tried to create his profile on team bhp but since was unable to do so requested me to create this thread based on his own thread that he created on another forum

Once again a big thanks to team bhp for creating this medium.

Presenting to You Mr M.S.Girish and the story of his fiat uno restoration in his own words, of course with a little bit of help from me

Dear Friends,

I am new to this site. I got to know from my friends that I can seek suggestions and advises on how to restore my Fiat Uno Petrol 1999 model. I have this uno with me since 2007. Being my first car, I don't want to give up inspite of repeated arguments and advises from my parents and family. Finally I have convinced my parents and am looking forward to go for the restore. Although I am not that financially sound to go for a complete work on one go but as of beginning, I am going ahead with the options to improve the milage of my car. presently it is delivering 11-12 Kmpl and I was told that the upgrade in carburetor can get me 15-17 kmpl. Is that true and if so, I would seek your inputs and suggestions on the make and model of the carburetor that can fit into my car.

Also in addition to this, I am also looking forward to upgrade my music system in my car. Presently I have a JVC mp3 player in it which is though doing fine with a good output without amp. I have a 2 channel Mosfet amp given to me by one of my friend which is in working condition. I want to install that amp accompanied by the Sony 3300W columns in the boot. Will that be possible to install? Do seek your suggestions. Its a dream for me to try this on my car as the clarity of the speakers is just awesome and they are just idling in my room as the main unit was burnt off due to electrical fault. I don't mind losing space in the boot as the car is for my personal use and we have a seperate car for family travel. Hope my dream will come true at the earliest.
I had the dedicated car speakers with my system but unfortunately I was cheated with the fake ones in the brand name of pioneer. That is why I am not willing to take any chance further. If there is any particular website or store located somewhere in New Delhi or Hyderabad where I can confidently get the genuine speakers, I will be happy enough to go for it. Also I would seek your suggestion for the tailor made wooden trays available in the market for the rear speakers. Is that worth to buy and mount the speakers or should I only go with those actual fiber tray that was already installed in the car? Anyhow I have to change the tray as the previous one is now more that 12 years old and has lost the strength due to wear & tear and multiple re-installations of speakers in it. I am located in Hyderabad I heard about a Fiat Classic Club in Hyderabad and am in process and attempts to get in touch with the members so that they can also give their inputs and suggestions.

In Delhi I was really upset and was about to give away this Uno as this car in Delhi was known to be a white elephant to be maintained and also the spares available were mostly country made (Local brands), available only on order and costing high as compared with those of now days luxury cars. But here in Hyderabad when I saw a few Uno's running on the road, I was happy that my car got a life back and can be retained and maintained easily. Over to Sushil now to inform the details.
Signing off Now....M.S.Girish.

Hi Again

I shall Be keeping you updated as time progresses

I will be uploading the pictures on the current status as well.
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0771.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0772.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0773.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0774.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0775.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0776.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0777.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0778.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0779.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0780.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2013 at 17:28. Reason: Removing reference to website that is censored on Team-BHP
sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 23:04   #2
BHPian

Re: My Salute to the Fiat Uno through its Restore

Hi there,
I am back with the updates

Progress this week is

completed denting work waiting for it to be painted at the paint booth.

However the following work is going to be completed in this full project.
  1. complete denting
  2. complete painting.
  3. Replenish missing parts like door handles etc.
  4. Drive shaft makes noise on sharp turns...needs replacement.
  5. AC blower unit needs to be repaired.
  6. gas filled to ensure effective cooling.
  7. Fit timing belt cover.
  8. Check the tyre condition and replce if necessary
  9. wheel alignment.
  10. Silencer welding.
  11. rear height adjustment and suspension service.
  12. full engine service and oil change.
  13. check the papers and reconfirm if all the required documents are in place.
  14. RTO formalities to ensure the vehicle passes the fitness tests.
  15. New rear tray to fix speakers.
  16. Since the engine was in excellent condition even after 125000kms no work on the engine side.
Estimated time around 3 weeks.

I shall inform the cost involved after the project is completed.

Although this is going to be a quick restoration as the vehicle was in daily use till very recently and has not been used for only the last 1 year still I would want to ensure that its in perfect shape.

A few pictures to show the progress:

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0806.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0807.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0808.jpg  

sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 23:43   #3
BHPian

re: My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored

Hi again,

I forgot to let you know that the vision for this uno is as per the picture mentioned below

I only hope that the Cops do not catch me on this and at least the film law is relaxed I pray

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-33210484_1.jpg  

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 26th January 2013 at 23:48.
Old 7th February 2013, 20:00   #4
BHPian

Hi All I am back with the Updates,

The progress on the vehicle is as follows:
1. Denting work completed.
2. Bumpers repaired.
3. Rubbing of body after aplication of Luppum completed
3. Undercoating painting done or asthar as its comonly known
4. Rubbing in progress.
5 First Coat of Paint should have been completed today

A few Pictures of the Progress for your kind Perusal...Enjoy Folks.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0821.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0822.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0823.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0824.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0825.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-spm_a0826.jpg  

Old 9th February 2013, 22:48   #5
BHPian

Hi All

First Coat of Paint has been completed today

A few Pictures of the Progress for your kind Perusal...Enjoy Folks.

Sorry for the poor quality as it was taken from my mobile phone.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0043.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0044.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0045.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0046.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0047.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0048.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-sp_a0049.jpg  

Old 5th May 2013, 08:57   #6
BHPian

Dear All

Good Day

Mr M.S. Girish is back with the updates of his restoration in his own words...presenting the excerpts in his own words....

Hi Friends,

Finally the big day of my life is here. The car is back from the workshop into my parking area.

I would love to receive inputs from all my friends and fiat lovers about the car. Also I would like to know if I can get those stickers mentioning FIRE that was printed on the rear doors when the car was in stock condition.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards

M.S.Girish
(the so called unofficial hacker to rams fb......pun...unintended)
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-cam00115.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-cam00116.jpg  

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 5th May 2013 at 09:06. Reason: not to hurt but the fact as called
Old 9th May 2013, 17:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 19:33   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the restoration . Always loved UNO, was very close to buying one. Dropped the deal as it was a 1 ltr version and not 1.2 as the owner had mentioned . Paint scheme could have been better. Full white(including bumpers) and black racing stripes front and back would have given it a sporty look. Any plans of getting an alloy or wheel caps?
Old 9th May 2013, 20:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, now i am glued to this thread. I must say this is a car which is very close to my heart. First of all i would like to say hats off to you for maintaining this beauty from Fiat.
We too own a Fiat Uno petrol from the year 2000 and it has crossed 1 lack kilometers. The car is still with us and we did an extensive repair job on it last year. It included some body work, painting, replacement of front shock absorbers, lower arm, clutch plate, wheel bearings, brake master cylinder, brake shoe, front tyres, got some work done on the axle too. Let me share a picture of my Uno over here, hope you don't mind.
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-p1010042.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 9th May 2013 at 20:13.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 21:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Congrats on the restoration . Always loved UNO, was very close to buying one. Dropped the deal as it was a 1 ltr version and not 1.2 as the owner had mentioned . Paint scheme could have been better. Full white(including bumpers) and black racing stripes front and back would have given it a sporty look. Any plans of getting an alloy or wheel caps?

Hi Nim Peter

Good Day

First of all thanks for dropping by this thread ad giving your inputs really appreciate the same. Yes while getting it painted we also thought about the scheme you mentioned but refrained from doing it because with the size of a vehicle like UNO it does happen that in traffic someone mostly rubs or touches the Bumper especially while cornering and turning the front Left side is the one most prone to damages. on a white bumper even the slightest scrach will get illuminated and show the black base underneath giving it a shoddy look so to prevent it decided to paint it matt black.

Yes the vehicle is yet to be dressed up a bit which will be taken care once Vitamin M is accumulated . I shall be posting the detailed expense chart in this thread for the guidance of others

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 9th May 2013, 21:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Wow, now i am glued to this thread. I must say this is a car which is very close to my heart.
Attachment 1082194
Hi Samba

Good Day

Thanks for sharing the inputs on the repairs that you carried on and the Picture of Your UNO . Its Looking great. Please share some more pictures of the same .would try to see it in person If I happen to Visit Kolkatta. The Uno was a masterpiece in itself but sadly could not suceed in India because of various reasons. But still the Passion to own and Restore a Fiat Uno is beyond words.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 10th May 2013, 10:10   #12
BHPian

Sushil: The car looks great! The Uno has a shape with which one can experiment with dual shades. Looks like the fever of using black and white combinations is spreading! Check out a similar combination on Team-BHPian e30b16's excellent 118 NE here.

What are the plans for the wheels? Do you have any changes in mind like alloys?

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 11th May 2013, 12:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

The car looks good after the paint job though it's screaming out for a good set of alloys.If vitamin M is a issue you could try for used alloys in good condition.Maybe the team-bhp classifieds could help you out.

Good Luck with the car.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 12:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post

I would love to receive inputs from all my friends and fiat lovers about the car. Also I would like to know if I can get those stickers mentioning FIRE that was printed on the rear doors when the car was in stock condition.
According my opinion, this is a very poor level of restoration and the paint quality and dual themed (Black & white) definitly dont do justice to this Uno.
Bumpers should have been white and OVRMs should have been white too.

My Uno below in its raw form just after a rubbing polish done and with decaling.

Sushil,
I think the restoration has been heavily compromised in terms of a low budget effort. The mediocre result are apparent how badly the Uno has be restored. We can improve this and take to a better level, if you ask me.
Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-3.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-dg.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2013 at 09:15. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
hillram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 00:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post

Hi Ram

Good Day

Thanks for the honest feedback without any prejudice.

Since its very raw as of now once a bit of pampering is done to it it should look good. Basically the idea was to give it a hot-rod kind of look.
Also when you say "the paint quality has been compromised on" I guess I ll need your inputs on the same as its been painted and restored by the same mechanic from our club who restored your Fleet of Vintage cars including the Uno. In fact this theme was also encouraged by him when we asked him the inputs.
Although the thread started with a note of being a low budgeted affair ,but when I look at the actual spending at the end of the project the amount spent is over 40K which is more than the estimate given by the clubs mechanic in the beginning. . I guess this would be decently sufficient for restoration. Moreover even after the restoration I am still unable to use the car as the paperwork is pending. the project which was estimated to be completed in 2 weeks is pending over 3months now.

With regards to what you say as "the dual themed (Black & white)" This was actually based on the basis of the picture that you see in the beginning of the thread i.e the post on 26th January 2013 22:43. and also on a post that I had seen in your thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iat-uno-6.html)
"Thanks for all your comments.
@Sid..the UNO pics look fabulous.
By all means,Im inching towards yellow colour,with skirting.
But if were to stick to white,i want to clone the below version of UNO."

I would request you to let me know when you will be in hyderabad next so that you can personally have a look at the car to check out the mechanics shoddy work especially on the air-conditioner's front. This would be indeed a great help to ensure that our mechanics maintain the level of quality on the cars that they work on for the club

I am sure that once you are in hyderabad We can improve all the shortcomings in terms of quality of work done by the mechanic and take things to a better level,

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-uno20forza.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2013 at 09:16. Reason: Fixed quote tag
sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks