Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 16:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol

OK, so the car in question is my dear friend's 2008 Model, Ford Fiesta 1.6 (P) Sxi, with 48,000 clicks on the odo.

For the last of three or four months, the car was behaving strangely, at times. ie, it would not really revv over ~2k. And would turn completely sluggish. And sometimes the ECL was ON.

The problem was not permanent, it would come for some say.. 30mins.. and disappear for a month, and then reappear for 15 mins.. and then disappear for the next couple of weeks. As it was not a permanent issue, he decided to let it be, till he got enough time to take it to the service center.

However, since the last couple of weeks, the issue got worse, and would turn up unexpectedly at very inappropriate moments, like in traffic,overtaking etc.. As the ECL was coming ON, I decided to plugin the OBD and see..

And, got this:

Name:  IMG_2109.PNG
Views: 35252
Size:  283.4 KB

As mentioned by Torque it was an issue with TPS, and prolly the MAP or so.. So, decided to clean the TPS and MAP and Throttle body. The problem vanished, however, returned after a body wash. So, it was clear that water was doing the damage. Now, to check what and where water was doing the damage, we dried the engine bay, cleared the error, and started pouring water on each sensors from the outside, like while washing! and, voila!!.. It was the TPS, that was the culprit.

Now, the TPS, is inside the Throttle body and is well sealed. So, there is only a very remote chance of the sensor itself to get damaged. So, the connector was the suspect, and turned out that the green washer like thingy inside the connecter, which prevents water to enter inside was broken, and water was coming in causing the error.

Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol-dscn8647.jpg

Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol-img_2522.jpg

Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol-img_2518.jpg

Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol-dscn8850-copy.jpg

Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol-dscn8849-copy.jpg

I sealed the connector properly, and have not faced the issue for the last ~1,000 kilometers! So... the problem is expected to be solved!

Note: This vehicle was taken to the A.S.S to rectify this issue, and what they suggested was to replace the Throttle Body (16,000 Rs) and the Engine Wiring Harness (25,000 Rs) . The 41,000 rupee problem was solved using 10 rupees!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I managed to source a good connector. However, changing the connectors means cutting of wires.

I have a question for fellow bhp'ns/experts:
  • Since the sensors read very minute change in voltages/currents, will cutting of wires change the overall wiring resistance, which might lead to incorrect readings of sensors?
  • Is there something else that I have to take care of for error P2135 & P2176 ?

Last edited by dhanushs : 17th January 2013 at 16:40.
dhanushs is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solved: Error P2135 & P2176 in Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol

WoW! Good work with the diagnosis and fixing the issue

Changing the connectors shouldnt be a problem. I am sure your friend dint find anything abnormal in the 1000KMs covered already. If there is any ususual pattern in idling or jerking then you might need to get it checked!

Kudos again and thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Now, I managed to source a good connector. However, changing the connectors means cutting of wires.

• Since the sensors read very minute change in voltages/currents, will cutting of wires change the overall wiring resistance, which might lead to incorrect readings of sensors?
Old 17th January 2013, 20:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Changing the connectors shouldnt be a problem.
I'm worried about cutting the wires. As the sensor reads voltage, it might be changed?

Quote:
I am sure your friend dint find anything abnormal in the 1000KMs covered already. If there is any ususual pattern in idling or jerking then you might need to get it checked!
Nope.. Nothing abnormal. A super high rpm (above 4k) stint from Gundelpet - Bangalore via Kanakpura gave ~10kmpl FE! Maybe cause of the Throttle Body cleaning and MAP sensor cleaning!
Old 17th January 2013, 21:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1039719
Nice job!

Cutting and soldering to add a new connector will not change the resistance value as much as it would take an ECU to notice it.

You got both the said errors because of water ingression and doing its thing which affected the output values/shorted the contacts because of which there was a voltage error and at the same time it couldn't read the throttle position at idle.

But why change the connector can't you put the washer from the connector you found onto the one already on the vehicle?

Another solution to prevent water ingress is to apply some RTV silicone sealant (translucent white) to the connector joint all round. It will not be neat but will prevent water entry and at the same time wouldn't be like glue when you need to disconnect it.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 00:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:

If the new joints are done properly, there won't be any measurable change in resistance. I'd say replacing the connector is a good idea if you don't mind splicing wires.
On that note, here's what I would do (I have done this to one of the injector wires on my Ikon successfully)-
First, strip the insulation off the wires to be joined.
Second, insert a couple of inches of "Heat Shrink" tubing/sleeve. Then join the wires- solder/ twist. If you are twisting, then something around an inch will make soldering redundant.
Then place the tubing over the joint, heat it, and voila! A joint that is at once insulated, waterproof, and much stronger than what you would obtain with insulation tape alone. The tubing shrink to seal, insulate, and support, all at the same time.
The heat shrink tubing is available easily- or you can order it online as well. It comes in several diameters, so pick according to your needs. And it's not expensive either- here in Mumbai, ten bucks generally gets you a meter of 4mm tubing.
I use this technique almost exclusively for all my vehicle wiring needs, and even for my guitar and other hobby electronics. VERY reliable.
I'd also clear the codes to see if they crop up again.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 08:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm worried about cutting the wires. As the sensor reads voltage, it might be changed?
Even at the dealership, rat chewed wires are fixed by splicing the cut ends and reattaching them with some insulation tape. It works without any problem!

Quote:
Nope.. Nothing abnormal. A super high rpm (above 4k) stint from Gundelpet - Bangalore via Kanakpura gave ~10kmpl FE! Maybe cause of the Throttle Body cleaning and MAP sensor cleaning!
After all the fun above 4K RPM, 10kmpl is decent from the 1.6 duratec monster! Your did good work to fix that issue. Nothing to worry dude!
Old 4th February 2013, 20:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Cutting and soldering to add a new connector will not change the resistance value as much as it would take an ECU to notice it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
If the new joints are done properly, there won't be any measurable change in resistance. I'd say replacing the connector is a good idea if you don't mind splicing wires.
Thank you Sankar, RM2488

Quote:
But why change the connector can't you put the washer from the connector you found onto the one already on the vehicle?
The washer is not accessible. And the connector, in contrary to what I believed cant be dismantled.

Quote:
Another solution to prevent water ingress is to apply some RTV silicone sealant (translucent white) to the connector joint all round. It will not be neat but will prevent water entry and at the same time wouldn't be like glue when you need to disconnect it.
The TPS cant be seen easily from the engine bay . So, I guess this is the most practical option.
Old 12th December 2013, 12:04   #8

Mod team note: Post edited to remove [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Superb!
But I happened to come across this thread a bit too late
I had been facing the same issue on my 1.6zxi for quite some time, it needed some revs after cranking to keep it running and at times the throttle wouldn’t respond and the engine warning lamp would glow
Took it to Ford service and was told that the throttle body sensor was “weak” and since the car had done 48000kms on the odo, this would be a routine replacement. Also the whole throttle body had to be replaced and not the sensor alone
Damage done was around 18k for that.
Been driving the car for a couple of months now and the issue seems resolved
I’ve got the old throttle body with me now, any suggestions on what can be done with it? Can it be rectified?

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th December 2013 at 12:19.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfry View Post
I’ve got the old throttle body with me now, any suggestions on what can be done with it? Can it be rectified?
Throttle body doesn't create problems. However, I'd say hold on to the part as a spare.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks