Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th August 2017, 15:30   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road

^^ If the car isn't overheating after the work done, you don't need to worry. You don't have to take any further action.

In any case keep a close eye on the temperature gauge always.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 21:55   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
^^ If the car isn't overheating after the work done, you don't need to worry. You don't have to take any further action.

In any case keep a close eye on the temperature gauge always.
Thanks for the suggestion. There has been no further overheating warning. However, the engine note (sound) has become coarser than before. Do you think the overheating incident could be the reason behind this?
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 11:50   #393
BHPian

Took the car out today morning, to drop my wife to her office. After reaching the half way, I realized the temperature gauge was already near the red mark!
At this time, the signal was red. So, thought of turning the ignition off to let it cool for some time.

But just when the signal turned green, the car refused to start. After a lot of attempts I managed to start it again. By this time, traffic following me got impatient and they were honking relentlessly.
There were no garages nearby, and no place to pull over. So, I had to continue driving. During this time, I saw the needle coming back to where it should be.

This was a temporary relief. Because after a few minutes, it again started to approaching red mark. There are no garages (not that I know of) on the Baner road in Pune.
So, first thing I did is to drop my wife to her office, and immediately headed to Bosch service center on Baner-Pashan link road.

The technician did not wait to open the radiator cap. To my horror, there was no coolant left in it! As he started pouring water in the radiator, needle came back to the normal position.
I asked him if it's OK to take my car back to home (which is ~15 KM away from the garage), he advised me against it. As per him, there must be a leakage in the radiator for such a drop in fluid level.

How can this be possible? If it is really a leaky radiator, how come there are no stains in my home parking?
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:27   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post

The technician did not wait to open the radiator cap. To my horror, there was no coolant left in it! As he started pouring water in the radiator, needle came back to the normal position.
I asked him if it's OK to take my car back to home (which is ~15 KM away from the garage), he advised me against it. As per him, there must be a leakage in the radiator for such a drop in fluid level.

How can this be possible? If it is really a leaky radiator, how come there are no stains in my home parking?
Pouring coolant in a hot engine is the worst thing that you can do, as cold water in a hot engine may crack and/or warp the block and the head.

As I am used to Ambassador and Fiat, I regularly check the coolant in my cars. One reason for finding no traces of leakage may be a faulty radiator pressure cap and/or leak between the radiator top and the coolant reservoir. That would leak only when the car heats up and the coolant travels between the radiator and the coolant reservoir.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:31   #395
BHPian

Just a minute ago, I got call from the garage. As per them, whole radiator assembly needs to be replaced. He mentioned the mesh has gone bad, and it's leaking from 4-5 places.

He quoted Rs. 3900 for the radiator assembly, which didn't seem right for me.
I quickly called Hyundai Mobis, and they tell the price is Rs. 2968.

So, definitely this guys is trying to fleece me!

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 30th November 2017 at 13:44.
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   Reply With Quote