Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 19:42   #121

Re: What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Check for what is known as 'back compression'.

Don't understand what 'water pipe' they're referring to. Post pics, if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
A leaking hose pipe is what they mean. Happens, not to worry. You already had signs of a leak in the system when you saw a pool of water below your car once, should not have ignored it the, but never mind, what's done is done, be careful next time.

The engine oil replacement part is a good initiative by the service station

Oil pressure has got nothing to do with the cooling system, nothing at all.

Ask them to do a compression test and give you the results, that will be a 100% sign of if anything has been damaged or not. A good compression in all cylinders = nothing to worry at all.

Do post the compression results too here, we can look if anything is wrong or not.

Don't worry too much, I am 99% sure, nothing has taken a hit in you car, the 1% doubt will be cleared by the compression test result.
Sorry guys ... I just spoke with the workshop today to get an update on the car. It is not 'Water Pipe', but actually is 'Water Pump' that they are replacing. And I don't know about this Water Pump also. Please share your knowledge on what this Water Pump is all about.

As the name suggests it is definitely related to car coolent system. But does it have any relation with the 'Oil Pressure Warning' issue I had since last few weeks ?

Also is that the leak from water pump ? The picture I posted few posts back ?

The car will be ready tomorrow afternoon. Will ask them to do a engine compression test. Is it a simple one ? I mean will it take time ? I ask this because saturday, sunday there is too much rush at their workshop. Hence not sure if they will be ready to do it.

Incase, they don't have time ... Can I get this done at some local workshop near my place ? How much they charge generally to do this kind of test ?

Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 22:40   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1980 View Post
'Water Pump'... does it have any relation with the 'Oil Pressure Warning' issue I had since last few weeks ?
Moot point: Did the water pump problem cause overheating, or did overheating cause the water pump to fail?
Quote:
Will ask them to do a engine compression test. Is it a simple one ? I mean will it take time ?
I don't remember your mentioning if it's a diesel or petrol engine.
Quote:
Can I get this done at some local workshop near my place ? How much they charge generally to do this kind of test ?
Someone who has a compression meter can do it. You'll have to find out who does, I have no idea about Mumbai (most FNGs I know of don't use one). Again, depends on whether it's a diesel or petrol engine.
Old 11th April 2014, 22:56   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Moot point: Did the water pump problem cause overheating, or did overheating cause the water pump to fail?

I don't remember your mentioning if it's a diesel or petrol engine.

Someone who has a compression meter can do it. You'll have to find out who does, I have no idea about Mumbai (most FNGs I know of don't use one). Again, depends on whether it's a diesel or petrol engine.
It's a petrol car ... 2010 Oct Beat LS model. It's a used one (32000kms done), bought it a month back.
Old 19th April 2014, 11:47   #124
BHPian

Guys , the 2010 model Alto LXi is showing some peculiar behavior.The engine bay and hood gets heated up fast and remains like that for 1 hour even after the engine is switched off. Checked Oil,coolant and all are in good condition and quantity. Is this because of the summer season? In this car there is no engine temperature gauge.So don't exactly know if the engine is overheating.Help required.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:37   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Guys , the 2010 model Alto LXi is showing some peculiar behavior.The engine bay and hood gets heated up fast and remains like that for 1 hour even after the engine is switched off. Checked Oil,coolant and all are in good condition and quantity. Is this because of the summer season? In this car there is no engine temperature gauge.So don't exactly know if the engine is overheating.Help required.
You didn't mention from when you are facing this issue?

It could be due to summers so the ambient temperature being higher the engine temperature doesn't come down fast.

If your car has A/C, is it working normally?

Anurag.
Old 19th April 2014, 15:41   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You didn't mention from when you are facing this issue?

It could be due to summers so the ambient temperature being higher the engine temperature doesn't come down fast.

If your car has A/C, is it working normally?

Anurag.
This problem started from last month. Yes the A/C is working fine. All other systems are working fine. We started noticing it after the car is slow in getting cold after parking it in the car porch. I did see some oil leak from gearbox. Will this be a factor ?
Old 19th April 2014, 17:12   #127
BANNED

Quote:
In this car there is no engine temperature gauge.
Can you please post the picture of the instrumentation cluster once? I am surprised that the LXi model not having a temperature gauge.

Quote:
This problem started from last month. Yes the A/C is working fine. All other systems are working fine. We started noticing it after the car is slow in getting cold after parking it in the car porch. I did see some oil leak from gearbox. Will this be a factor ?
Is the leak still there? If yes get it arrested as the gear oil may drain away and you'd be killing your transmission. Is the coolant level and engine oil level maintained? Does the fan switch ON when the engine is hot?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 17:34   #128
BHPian

The 2010 model Alto LXi started coming with non adjustable head rests in front and the temperature gauge is also missing.
The vehicle is parked now. Will be taking the vehicle to get rid of that Oil leak. Coolant and Engine oil level all are under check .One thing you just reminded ,is the fan. The fan is not working correctly. I think the fan and radiator may be the culprit.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road-marutialtotachometer062.jpg  

commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 18:22   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you please post the picture of the instrumentation cluster once? I am surprised that the LXi model not having a temperature gauge.
Anurag.
I too am skeptical of this point. I do not think that any Alto came without a temperature gauge.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
...Is this because of the summer season? In this car there is no engine temperature gauge..
After your regular ride, just before parking, please check if the engine coolant temperature light is ON/blinking (keep the engine running).
This would look like a three(or 2??) pronged key floating on water with the key bit skywards.

If it is not, may be it is just a 'feeling' that will go away come monsoon :-)?

If yes, call a mechanic to check the same and do not drive further till it is checked.

PS: I'm not sure if the light will blink or stay turned on on over heating. Check your manuals.. there ought to be an explanation for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I too am skeptical of this point. I do not think that any Alto came without a temperature gauge.
Sadly, another case of the manufacturer skimping on a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 20th April 2014, 06:53   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Sadly, another case of the manufacturer skimping on a couple of hundred bucks.
I am still cluless here more of surprised.

AFAIK, 'LXi' is top end variant in the Alto model we are discussing here and 'LX' being lower variant so no temperature gauge in LX is understandable but the same in LXi is not done. Earlier when there was VXi (brief period with 1.1L engine) the LXi would be mid variant and LX lower variant.

Not sure how the current Alto 800 works out.

Is there a way out to fix this kind of gauge aftermarket?

Anurag.
Old 21st April 2014, 10:26   #132
BHPian

Confirmed .The issue is with the fan and the radiator. MASS people are trying to find the exact problem.Fortunately ,no engine damage .

The price cutting, (not providing a temperature gauge) would have been very damaging if there was a coolant leak .

The current meter only works when there is an abnormal temperature in the engine .

This means by the time it starts blinking , the damage would have happened.
Old 21st April 2014, 11:19   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Confirmed .The issue is with the fan and the radiator. MASS people are trying to find the exact problem.Fortunately ,no engine damage
Oh, so the fan was not switching ON when the engine was crossing the temperature that it shouldn't. But fire was the Fan and Radiator issue pinpointed?

Check the radiator for any blockages etc to be doubly sure.

Anurag.
Old 26th April 2014, 12:04   #134

Honda Civic sudden stall!

While returning back from work at 6:30 PM with peak traffic, in the middle of ORR, my 2008 Honda Civic AT starts to vent steam and peaceful shuts off. I try to crank, nothing at all. Some kind soul helps me to push the huge, heavy machine with super tight steering to the divider. I pop the hood, and it was a mess in there. The radiator cap had popped somehow and the coolant had sprayed all over. Even on the battery terminals. I guessed this must be the reason for electrical shutdown. Wiped it with a dry cloth and tried starting it again.
It started after a few cranks, but there was a loss of power and the engine was barely able to keep itself kicking, specially at low revs. Switching to S mode, I used the paddle to drive in 1st or 2nd, trying to keep the engine running.
About 7-8km, I heard a rattling noise from the bay. A little further, I felt the engine seize, and decided it was better to leave the car to rest. The car was overheated and I let it cool for next few hours.
I start again after considerable long wait, the car starts. Does not run smooth AT ALL. Engine quits as soon as I shift out of N. Somehow I manage to drive around 700m to my house, and park it there. Popping the hood open, I see the the catalytic converter glowing bright red!!!!
That's when I thought that the rattling sound maybe coming from the catcon, maybe with a broken honeycomb inside. I might just have a blown catcon, in addition to no idea what. Damn.

So, the questions-
1. Any guesses what could possibly go wrong?
2. I have regularly been ripped off by HASS. Not this time. Any suggestions for a good repair place for this car? Someplace where they know how these electronic beasts actually work?

p.s. I noticed the D indicator flash when I tried starting after it had cooled down. I switched of, start again, indicators are all ok.

Peace!!!!
Old 27th April 2014, 11:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic sudden stall!

Engine overheating - could be possibly due to lack of coolant or fan not running. The last thing you should have done is start/run the engine, to avoid further damage.

Did you not notice any symptoms before the car stalled ? Did a/c seem to go off ? What about the temperature gauge ?
I am guessing the Civic also has the digital temperature gauge. Did it come on ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th April 2014 at 11:42.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed