Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 23:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letting your Car's fuel tank run empty? Drop the habit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As Fiesta owners know, the DTE is a wee bit erratic. But the low fuel light comes on only when the reading is 80 kms on the DTE..
This method is a bit troublesome, especially on a highway, where we get higher mileages, so DTE and fuel warning lamp will come up when there's very little fuel in the tank.

This happened once for me, when DTE started to drop rapidly from 80 to 70 and to 50 within seconds as the car was on the move.

In my old car(Uno D) the warning led came up based on fuel, it was so accurate so that FE calculations was spot on!
Old 25th January 2013, 23:16   #32
BHPian

Holy Cow! I am in splits reading this. How on earth do you save money by filling fuel when its almost but finished? What fuel has gone in is only yours, whether you burn it till the last drop or you tank up before you run dry, unless you rent out your car which no self-respecting team-bhpian is likely to. Ah, may be you are talking about saving interest cost of keeping 200 bucks in the Bank for 2 days extra during which you might extract few more kms out of the last few drops of fuel left in the tank. Come on, own a car? Fill it up. Cant fill it up? Sell it! What if there's a personal emergency at night and your fuel tank is almost dry and no bunk is open, or even if its open then it has run dry because the 'conservative' pump owner wanted to sell the last drop till he indented fresh stock!

Least I care, because I top up much sooner, but I have also read in the car manual that running dry conks off the catalytic converter.
anujatwork is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 23:17   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I always fill up completely and run it down to within the last 0.5 litre. It's a bit of game. My wife hates it. If you know your car reasonable well, it's easy to do.

With modern fuel, residuals are minimal, and all fuel systems have filters. Running the tank empty and thus stalling the engine, is embarrassing, but not necessarily a big deal. Make sure you know what to do, and whether your fuel system needs priming or de-airing after the tank has run dry. By and large petrol engines will self prime, but on diesels you often need to prime manually.

Also, starting endless to try and prime the system might have some wear and tear on the high pressure pump. It's the petrol/diesel itself that provides lubrication for the plungers. No fuel, no lubrication. Hence, make sure what the procedure is for you car.

Petrol can and does go stale. Modern Petrol with ethanol are particularly prone to quality degradation if left for long periods. Having said that, I've only experienced it once. Currently I have three cars in storage in the Netherlands that get very little usage. I drove all three of them during a recent visit to my home country. One of them hadn't been driven for more than a year. Fired up fine, nothing wrong with the petrol.

On the other hand, my little power lawn mower in the US, would refuse to start on fuel older than 6-7 weeks consistently. Only way to get it going was to clean out the carburetor and put fresh fuel in.

If your car isn't going to be used for an extended period of time, most would advise to fill your tank to the brim. Reason is that with the tank full, there is less room for air and potential condensation occurring. So I always fill up my cars before they go back in storage.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 08:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Petrol can and does go stale. Modern Petrol with ethanol are particularly prone to quality degradation if left for long periods.Jeroen
Jeroen sir, continuing our discussion from the other thread, I asked the workshop guy about removing and cleaning the petrol tank due to low fuel and lockdown. He said I need not worry as long as the car is not giving trouble. Or at the maximum, I can replace the fuel filter simply. Since our local Toyota ASC could only give me an appointment in August, I decided to proceed with the radiator flush from my trusted FNG yesterday itself.

Now the car was not 100% unused in these 4 months. I used to start her for 10-15 minutes, drive a bit once. And at times I used to simply open the filler cap to hear the air build up being released. I have also filled around 5-6 litres petrol in the tank from jars, etc.

I intend to go out on the highway on the weekend. Would you still suggest cleaning the tank?
Old 24th July 2020, 11:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Would you still suggest cleaning the tank?
No, as I said, only when you can smell that the petrol has gone bad. If you open the fuel cap and still smell petrol, all is fine. If you smell rotten eggs, the petrol has gone bad and it needs to be flushed.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed