Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 01:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape

My 2006 NHC. It has clocked only 40000 kms but it is really difficult to maintain a car of this colour. Had a few touchup jobs every now and then cause its nearly impossible to keep a car scratch-less in day to day traffic. I also get it detailed once a year. Car still running like showroom condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-img_0852.jpg  

Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-img_0851.jpg  

sidd_city is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 07:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a parachute type silver car cover for my Civic.While it's great during the dry spell would it be advisable to keep it on during the approaching monsoon season ?

Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 09:07   #63
BHPian

Here's my Esteem-Diesel. It did more than 3,42,000 km when we sold it last year. Preventive maintenance is indeed the key to this car holding tight so long. The only area that was ignored was exterior and interior detailing. Mechanically it was pampered.

Here is the long term review:.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-exterior-1.jpg  

benzinblut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 19:33   #64
BHPian

Just saw this thread and subscribed!

My Civic-AT is completing six years in a couple of days, odo is at 1,28,000+ kms.
No problems worth mentioning so far!

I never even had certain problems which a lot of guys here on team-bhp had, like their engine mounts going bust, etc.

I plan to have her at-least for four more years (for a total of ten years).
In fact I plan to hold her till it starts having problems, so hope I may hold her for 15 years or more!

(All my service records and experiences are on team-bhp, and will continue as the car eats up the kms!).

Last edited by manim : 18th May 2013 at 19:40.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:08   #65
BHPian

Hello Fellow Members,

I need some help asap to a difficult situation at hand with my car.

Red Ants seem to have taken a fancy for my car, every day in the morning I find Red ants assembled in various corners like a huddle.

They even attempted to hijack my Jabra Bluetooth car speaker , but I saved it it in the nick of time.

I am now concerned that this could lead to a serious issue since I travel a lot and I have kids and people with me in the car.

I am considering the following actions
1.Through Wash of the car (pending since sometime)
2.Using Mortin spray inside the engine bay / inside the car and leave it for a day

Please help me for the above with recommendations since I need to work something over this weekend.

Moderators, please let me know if this is the correct forum or do i need to post this someplace else.

Regards.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:17   #66
BHPian

To avoid ants when parked for many days, I use an insect 'chalk-piece', to mark a visible ring around all my tyres. Effective.

For rats I put a plain old rat-trap under my engine bay, caught three in a year!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 18:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hello Fellow Members,

I need some help asap to a difficult situation at hand with my car.

Red Ants seem to have taken a fancy for my car, every day in the morning I find Red ants assembled in various corners like a huddle.

They even attempted to hijack my Jabra Bluetooth car speaker , but I saved it it in the nick of time.

I am now concerned that this could lead to a serious issue since I travel a lot and I have kids and people with me in the car.

I am considering the following actions
1.Through Wash of the car (pending since sometime)
2.Using Mortin spray inside the engine bay / inside the car and leave it for a day

Please help me for the above with recommendations since I need to work something over this weekend.

Moderators, please let me know if this is the correct forum or do i need to post this someplace else.

Regards.
By any chance,do kids and people eat in your car?
If yes,ask them not to.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:29   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If yes,ask them not to.
Hi akshay4587,

No Kids yet.
I am very particular that people do not eat in the car , I have read the best practices and try to follow them.

the issue is that the car is parked in the open and there are a lot of tress around, if there are any good luck on the car these ants gather around, i tried to cover the car as well but has not helped.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have kids and people with me in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If yes,ask them not to.
Quote:
Hi akshay4587,
No Kids yet.
So kids travel in your car or not? Two contrasting statements! Ants will come mostly if there is something to eat for them. Else if something is moist. Else I can't think of any reason for them being in the car. You can use either 'Laxman Rekha' lightly whenever there are ants, or sprinkle boric powder.
Old 26th May 2013, 14:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
So kids travel in your car or not? Two contrasting statements! Ants will come mostly if there is something to eat for them. Else if something is moist. Else I can't think of any reason for them being in the car. You can use either 'Laxman Rekha' lightly whenever there are ants, or sprinkle boric powder.
Hi ani_meher,

I do have kids travelling, just not my own yet.

I do clean the car every sunday. Moist is something that I will check, the car is parked in the open and heats up pretty much during the day.

When you say Boric Powder, do i put that under the engine bay or where would you suggest it.

I am also planning to spay mortin in and around the car , ur thoughts on that
?
Old 26th May 2013, 15:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

I had this ant problem in my Brand new Micra! Parking in the sun did not do the trick, they just came back overnight. Someone suggested me to change my parking place. This, along with thorough cleaning (inside out; still maintaining it clean) and the application of camphor did the trick. I put 4-5 packets of camphor inside the cabin, everywhere; but now even after 3 months, the smell of camphor won't go away easily.

Please do not use Mortein inside the car. The side effects for human can last really long. And the ants tend to come back after a short vacation.

A related thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...onnet-car.html
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 15:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

^^I also faced the ant attack in my car, when my nephew threw away his half eaten chocopie, beneath the front seats. I did everything possible, and only got rid of all of them after 1 month.

I used to clean the carpets, seats everyday, Used to open the door in afternoon, Used laxman rekha, ended up using 4-5 of them. Applied odomos, liquid one, In the whole car. And finally, got rid of them.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:56   #73
BHPian

Will cleaning the interior by some professional not be a good way out? Guess it should be around 1k but it also gives a fresh look!
NVI2112 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 11:24   #74
HKS
BHPian

I think to check your car's health regularly, this Android app and scanner come handy. http://www.***************/insights/d...ce/2013/06/30/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
Old 15th July 2013, 00:20   #75
BHPian

This is a gem of a thread especially for a relative driving newbie. Reading through this thread, i realise some of the faults i have repeated throughout my drives.
All the instructions would be duly followed by me from now on though and hopefully I am able to maintain the longevity of my ride as intact as some of the examples provided above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks