Team-BHP - my OHC vtec 1.5 ... eating up fuel.. help
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   my OHC vtec 1.5 ... eating up fuel.. help (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/13214-my-ohc-vtec-1-5-eating-up-fuel-help.html)

I have been observing from the time i owned it (OHC Vtec 1.5) that.. during backing up (reverse gear) the car drains most of the fuel.. :Shockked:

I have been a mute but helpless. The way it gobbles up fuel is enormous which should in the fuel meter.. i really dont understant what is happening..

Moreover .. I dont accelerate while doing the reverse... and since i know this problem i avoid as must reverse as possible..

please: help!!!!

Fill up your tank, drive as u would normally do (till it reaches "E"), fill it up again and see how much fuel has been consumed w.r.t the distance covered.

I don't think you'l see a drop in this case. Never judge your FE by looking at your fuel meter.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
. Never judge your FE by looking at your fuel meter.

Shan2nu

Thanks shan.. But my question was why should the indicator in the fuel meter drop by 3/4 points when on reverse gear.. as i said i avoid applying the accelerator most of the times...

I had a feeling what FE i used to get in normal gears.. and totally reverse happened in reverse gear..

Does this happen to all u guys having OHC 1.5 vtec..or atleast noticed that when u were using the reverse gear..????

[quote=four_tire]I have been observing from the time i owned it (OHC Vtec 1.5) that.. during backing up (reverse gear) the car drains most of the fuel.. :Shockked:
QUOTE]

Try driving in forward gear which the car is meant to. Reverse gear ratio's are similar to 1st gear. Am really interested to see how you drive a significant amount of your journey in reverse to cause this ?

Quote:

But my question was why should the indicator in the fuel meter drop by 3/4 points when on reverse gear.. as i said i avoid applying the accelerator most of the times...
If you are doing it on an Incline, it just might... as the level of fuel in the tank changes.

Shan2nu - Fill up the tank till the gun auto ejects, drive for 500 kms & refill the tank till the gun auto ejects. Note down the amount of fuel you fill up & divide it by 500 (the kms that has been run). Do it thrice, average up and get the mileage. This is what I do.

It is very difficult to mark the same level at empty position as it leads to a big difference. why there is a change in your title - :confused:

four tire - How long do u drive in the reverse to see a sharp drop on the fuel indicator

get your fuel indicator checked.. that could be the problem..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise
- :confused:

four tire - How long do u drive in the reverse to see a sharp drop on the fuel indicator

'Surprise' thanks for the advice on how to check the average FC ..

I only use the REVERSE GEAR when removing it from my garage in my house.. that means a 20 ft maximum.. But to So by this time the needle would have dropped down significantly around 3 points

I only operate the brake / clutch pedal which reversing the car...

AJMAT: I only use the reverse gear normally to either park the car or remove from parking.. the total time used here will be 15 seconds .. worst 45 seconds .. Since the parking inside my garage is only 20 ft and now bends or curves ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzin_hornets
get your fuel indicator checked.. that could be the problem..

Venom... I got the dakshin honda guy check my fuel guage.. he said its pretty normal.. he enquired some things before .. like

1. does my fuel show full when i filled fully .. [yes]
2. if the needle drops down below zero... abruptly... [NO]

So he said its completely normal.. and nothing to worry

:mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by four_tire

AJMAT: I only use the reverse gear normally to either park the car or remove from parking.. the total time used here will be 15 seconds .. worst 45 seconds .. Since the parking inside my garage is only 20 ft and now bends or curves ..

Your post gave the wrong improession. Perhaps the surge when reversing causes the gauge to misread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
Your post gave the wrong improession. Perhaps the surge when reversing causes the gauge to misread

maybe .. but if is only the guage misbehaving.. then i will be glad..

In my earlier post there is a correction... it is "no curves/ bends" and not "now curves/bends"

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohit
If you are doing it on an Incline, it just might... as the level of fuel in the tank changes.

Mohit.. I dont have incline .. it is just a very flat thing..

but i tell my OHC vtec is bad in reverse gear and when driven in a snail pace traffic...:Frustrati

What a bad luck.. i am in bangalore at this moment of life.. driving a good horse in an ugly battlefield..

Quote:

but i tell my OHC vtec is bad in reverse gear and when driven in a snail pace traffic...
If you're refering to the jerky behaviour of the car, then thats common with all Vtec models pre late 2002.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by four_tire
I have been observing from the time i owned it (OHC Vtec 1.5) that.. during backing up (reverse gear) the car drains most of the fuel.. :Shockked:

I have been a mute but helpless. The way it gobbles up fuel is enormous which should in the fuel meter.. i really dont understant what is happening..

Moreover .. I dont accelerate while doing the reverse... and since i know this problem i avoid as must reverse as possible..

please: help!!!!

Never heard of this prob but it may have something related to feul gauge though u say it is okay which is also a valid point and in any worst condition your fuel indicator should NOT go down if you take your car in reverse by meer 20 feet,no way.
Very simple thing u can do here,first open your tank cap and see does it produce any cacum or not,just see it is not faulty.two,I suspect fuel gauge once again and if there is something wrong in it such reading is possible,Other ppl have given their inputs so try and let us know.I hope nothing is seriously wrong in your case,dont worry.
In my old fiat I had silimar kind of probe though it had a mechanical fuel gauge and that gauge had a hole in its float.Many times when I used to break my car it used to jump like a bar girl !

offtopic but indica has a silly fuel gauge that shows more fuel when you take right turn and less when you take left turn ,the reading also differs as soon as u cross a speedbreaker.