Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2017, 09:14   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz - Electrical issues and solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
A rat bite on harness, should actually lead to only harness cost, i don't understand why ECU will fail in this case.
That's exactly my point as well. We knew those guys were hiding something fishy. It shouldn't take more than couple of minutes to figure out an failed ECU, but initially they plugged the OBD and assured no error codes and everything is normal.
Old 1st April 2017, 20:49   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
That's exactly my point as well. We knew those guys were hiding something fishy. It shouldn't take more than couple of minutes to figure out an failed ECU, but initially they plugged the OBD and assured no error codes and everything is normal.
Exactly, a failed ECU can be diagnosed in minutes. Moreover, Rat bites wires and not chew through hard ABS plastic covering or ECU, to than chew the metal casing and than taste the silicon board as if it tastes like Cheese.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 20:58   #483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone confirm if ECU is covered under warranty? (If we could able to prove there is no such rat bite)
Best to refer your car manual and check warranty conditions, ECU if failed randomly would be covered. If it is due to rat bite, then it is due to shorting and then won't be covered. But the chances of an ECU conking off like that is very very slim.

How to check, walk to the workshop ask them to show the rat attacked wiring, if its really exposed and shorted and something directly connected to ECU, then the workshop has a case.

Also why the battery? Can't it be charged? Hope its not a case of premature battery failure.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 20:53   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need urgent help.

Capital Honda claim engine ECU failed "MAY BE" because of rat bite (we are yet to see the actual vehicle / harness) and ECU failure is not covered under warranty. Got a quote of 30k (around 22k for ECU, 4.8k for battery and rest is unsure)

Can someone confirm if ECU is covered under warranty? (If we could able to prove there is no such rat bite)
Changing the ECU without changing the harness will be foolish, we have to find the root cause on why the ECU failed.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 21:09   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why dont you ask them to repair the harness first, and then check if the ECU has really conked off? Doing the other way round is not possible though. Or am I missing something?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 09:04   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Changing the ECU without changing the harness will be foolish, we have to find the root cause on why the ECU failed.
Now they come-up with another story.
'Saar, your harness had rat bite issue during 2nd service also saar and we repaired it. It may be a new rat bite now"

There is no such information conveyed to us during 2nd service neither the invoice has any such data. But their system shows wiring harness repair in the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Why dont you ask them to repair the harness first, and then check if the ECU has really conked off? Doing the other way round is not possible though. Or am I missing something?
We asked for the ECU swap test and awaiting reply from them
Old 5th April 2017, 09:19   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We asked for the ECU swap test and awaiting reply from them
I hope they wont swap ECU without sorting out the harness. If there is actually a short in the harness and that has indeed spoilt the current ECU, then the swapped ECU will pack off too. Hence, I hope they are not doing it.
Old 5th April 2017, 09:41   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I hope they wont swap ECU without sorting out the harness. If there is actually a short in the harness and that has indeed spoilt the current ECU, then the swapped ECU will pack off too. Hence, I hope they are not doing it.
Our request is to swap the ECU from subject car on one of their Demo / display car and check if it actually failed. This is because ECU behaves good and shows no error and throws EPS error occasionally.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:57   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our request is to swap the ECU from subject car on one of their Demo / display car and check if it actually failed. This is because ECU behaves good and shows no error and throws EPS error occasionally.

That's a good idea. ECU rarely break. If they do they should be able to show some distinct codes and diagnostics. If they can't, it's far more likely to be something else.

Good luck.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 17:37   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Registered a complaint through customer care regarding the poor response and co-operation from capital Honda and we understand there are numerous complaints against Capital Honda and they promised to involve some senior technician from Honda (not the dealership) to analyse the issue.

Quote:
There is no such information conveyed to us during 2nd service neither the invoice has any such data. But their system shows wiring harness repair in the history.
EDIT: Confirmed with the old invoice, it is mentioned about the O2 harness repair under general check-up.
Old 5th April 2017, 18:20   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EDIT: Confirmed with the old invoice, it is mentioned about the O2 harness repair under general check-up.
This seems to be O2 sensor wire, it would be just a one or two wire connector at best. Don't think anything to do with ECU harness.
Old 6th April 2017, 08:51   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This seems to be O2 sensor wire, it would be just a one or two wire connector at best. Don't think anything to do with ECU harness.
O2 sensor wire was repaired during previous service and now they claim the entire ECU harness needs to be replaced. My friend (car owner) is out of town and we will be visiting the A.S.S by this weekend. Honda promised to arrange technical expert to be available by Saturday.
Old 7th April 2017, 17:17   #493
BHPian

Posting a distress message as received from friend.
Car is Swift ZDI.

Quote:
The follwing issue cropped up after recent trip to dapoli sea resort. Sometimes the car starts with one crank and these lights disappear and sometimes I have to crank 5-6 times before it starts. Once started everything becomes OK. Current odo reading is 40.5k and 1.5 years old.
Modifications in car:subwoofer with amp. And two hella aux lamp 500 ff with relay. Both modifications more than 10000kms old. Battery topup and clean bill of health given at service center at 40000kms.

Last edited by akshay380 : 7th April 2017 at 17:37.
Old 12th April 2017, 19:25   #494
BHPian

What else could have possibly gone wrong?

My Santro had not been run for over a month and the battery had lost charge. The car was all well the last time I had taken it out. I had the battery charged externally and when fixing it, the battery was positioned wrongly and the cables were connected incorrectly :((. There was a large spark at the time of connecting the second terminal.

I checked ALL the fuses and found that only 1 fuse - the 60 Amp Alternator fuse (located under the hood) had blown. I had the fuse replaced and connected the battery correctly this time after ensuring that the battery was not damaged. I had it checked at the place where it was charged. There is no life on any of the electrical components.

Would anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on troubleshooting this?
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 18:50   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
My Santro had not been run for over a month and the battery had lost charge. The car was all well the last time I had taken it out. I had the battery charged externally and when fixing it, the battery was positioned wrongly and the cables were connected incorrectly :((. There was a large spark at the time of connecting the second terminal.

Would anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on troubleshooting this?
Uh oh, you did not maintain correct polarity whilst connecting the battery. Not a good thing with modern cars. The polarity reversal may have affected some electronic/electrical components, not just the fuse.

If the car is not starting you will need to get it towed to a workshop for further diagnosis.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks